• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What AntiVirus Software Do You Use ? ? ?

What AntiVirus Software Do You Use ? ? ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Larry G

Kasperskys Defender Pro--Wal-Mart, $20.00. Nothing is free, especially the programs that come with software bundles from computer manufacturers. They are designed to let certain things through that benifit sales for their partners in crime. Eventually they want renewal fees. Defender pro updates everytime you go online or 3 hours whichever applies and include popup and registry cleanup programs if you choose them. They include online support and also report to you when software actually catches something, and it does , lots of worms that normally cling onto your system that you never know are there with other anti virus programs. Have a great new year everyone.

Bigdawg

Just Me
that you'll have to pay for AVG after the 7th.
not true!
Why do you say that? Maybe I'm confused (happens quite often) but there is no free license for businesses anymore. Mine comes up and tells me it will not update definitions after the 7th on my office computer. We registered it when we downloaded to our business. Home computer is not doing that. Am I missing something???

Bigdawg

Just Me
If you use AVG at home and don't use it at work Shovelhead's right. We registered free version to our business... so we are now required to upgrade. See the screenshot from grisoft's web site. I added the highlight. They added that to their licensing recently, so yes - as a business - I have to buy the upgrade.

Here's the license requirements from their site:
Licensing
* AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition is for private, non-commercial, single home computer use only. Use of AVG Free within any organization or for commercial purposes is strictly prohibited.
* AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition is absolutely not for use with any type of OEM bundling with software, hardware components, or any service.
* Your use of AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition shall be in accordance with and is subject to the terms and conditions set forth in the AVG Anti-Virus Free Edition License Agreement that accompanies AVG Free.
* If you are interested in commercial use, free technical support, or other benefits oprovided as part of commercial versions of AVG, please refer to AVG Anti-Virus Professional Edition.

Attachments

• ScreenshotAVG copy.jpg
    ScreenshotAVG copy.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 143

Geary

No Software

....But I do have this hardware that works so well I've never had a single bug since 1988............:Big Laugh

~G.

ps..........they used McAfee at all the PC based shops I worked at in Seattle.

Attachments

• apple3d.jpg
    apple3d.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 139

Shovelhead

Antivirus software aside...................

you're work-dedicated computer shouldn't be
hooked up to the internet anyway...

Bill Modzel

If you say so. . . .

you're work-dedicated computer shouldn't be
hooked up to the internet anyway...

You've got to be kidding! :cool:
Makes me want to run out and buy a Dell. All three of my Macs on my network are connected to the internet and have been for 10 years and counting. No viruses, no spyware, no pop ups.

Replicator

Biggest Problem with Norton is that it's a memory hog !

I would like to eliminate the need to have memory sucking software on my PC,

Yes thats right I said PC, I'm sure a zillion people use 'em . . .

I have only had 3 viruses in 16-years and they were easy to get rid of,

I also use Ad-Aware for spyware and HiJackThis!

for pinpointing system hijack attempts . . .

Thanks for all the great detailed responses as I am trying to educate

myself as to what others are using and why . . . ?

resqfiremedic

I have used Norton and McAfee and had major problems with both!! Flexi program wouldnt load the production manager with Mcafee no matter what I did. I bought the AVG Ani-Virus and Firewall and have had GREAT luck and the 2 yr price is about the same as one year for other programs. AVG Rocks!!

Replicator

With the FREE version of AVG you get :

no Anti-Spam
no Firewall
no 24/7 Technical Support
no High-speed updates
no Multiple languages
no Detailed settings
no Consent for commercial use
no Hacker Protection
no Identity Theft Protection

Is this supposed to make me feel good ?

Geary

Dude, get McAfee. Way better than Norton's or anybody else's as far as I've seen. When I ran the PC shops that's what saved our patooties! :wink:

Techman

Ive run PC's on the internet since the old 8088 machines were around. Before that I ran an atari 800 xl on the old backbone system (remember FIDO net?)

In all the years and all the machines. I never had a virus. Why? Because I never ran Internet explorer and never ran outlook or outlook express. Plus I ran my network without virus protection for several years as well. I never once felt insecure about the LAN network.
How?
First, every thing is behind a router which stealths the entire LAN from the internet. A good router closes all but the very necessary of those 64,000 ports your machines has.
Second, I run a two way firewall. Presently I still use the FREE sygate firewall even though it is no longer available. Good firewalls will detect a change in your software and alert you if something is amiss. You must use a two way firewall for complete safetly. Microsoft firewall within XP is not two way. It does not prevent maleware from signaling out. You may be surprised to see how much outgoing traffic your machine is doing. Almost every software you use signals out to some central server. (remember the loveletter virus)

Almost all malewares came into your machine via Outlook or Outlook express while set in the preview mode. They would attack your machine and use your mailing list to spread to your friends. (remember KLEZ & Chernobyl, & Melissa virus?)

So, for all those who use those all in one suit packages that claim to protect everything. You simply do not need all that if you avoid the targeted M$ products. Period.... Also remember that Norton and Mcafee became very popular because they used a service to market thier goodies with magazine column authors. Lesser known products refused to participate in these schemes.

Firefox and Firebird? It was the darling of the guru's while it was still in pre-beta. It cannot be attacked because it does not contain the exploits that plague M$ products. No popup exploits, no back doors, and no fancy bells and whistle code.

So, those MAC guru's may dream on who try to claim that MAC hardware is better. It is not the machine that brings the infections. Its the software used within. Those who were dependant on M$ products suffered. Those who listened to genuine computer geeks (and not the bedroom self professed mechanic) used other market products lived on without pain.

For those who must have every single M$ update in order to feel clean and tidy. 99.999% of those exploits you hear about have nothing to do with you and will never affect you. There is an entire industry who claim money for every possible micro crack they can find in windows code.

Case in point. All the machines in my place have not updated anything M$ in years. The very last update was SP1. after that nada, nutin, no way, no how.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
I use MacAfee....BUT the best defense is not to download stupid stuff on your WORK computers. Its been very good for me on my personal computer at home as well though. Constantly updated by Comcast for me though my broadband. Makes it very easy to use and have yet to get a virus or anything else.

Geary

So, those MAC guru's may dream on who try to claim that MAC hardware is better. It is not the machine that brings the infections. Its the software used within. Those who were dependant on M$ products suffered. Those who listened to genuine computer geeks (and not the bedroom self professed mechanic) used other market products lived on without pain.

That's exactly right Techman. When we were using Eudora we had NO attacks. But, the damnable thing of it not doing executables (exe's) and and the fact that it crashed our machines fifty times a day forced the boss's personal secretary/Windows geek to go to Outlook....back around 1999. However, that's when "the Melissa virus" contaminated the first shop I was at and killed the server which held 40,000 dollars worth of business files.

Thanks for you insight. Always interesting to see a PC guy who hates Bill Gates' software. LOL :tongue:

~Gear

Techman

PC guy who hates Bill Gates' software

Well its not hate,, is shear paranoya.. With all the new junk added into Vista fistula to prevent us from using our machines.

I really like all the open source software coming out. Its all free, and most of it is more than excellent. There are more comming out all the time. I was just privy to testing some to be unnamed CAD software that is truely good. It is being released as we type.

Ken

Glad to see Geary posting again..

Missed you man..welcome back..
I just use the AVG free version plus adaware..but I really think that Firefox will be less likely to have attacks.
Ken