• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What AntiVirus Software Do You Use ? ? ?

What AntiVirus Software Do You Use ? ? ?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jbq7448

There are virus and hacks out there for unix variants including mac os10, they just aren't real prevalent because the user base is so small. The kiddies don't want to waste their time with 2% of the computers out there when they can go after 98%. If the Mac user base increases like it appears that it might thanks to Vista being such a pain, there will be plenty of malware design for Macs.

os101king

With the FREE version of AVG you get :

no Anti-Spam
no Firewall
no 24/7 Technical Support
no High-speed updates
no Multiple languages
no Detailed settings
no Consent for commercial use
no Hacker Protection
no Identity Theft Protection

Is this supposed to make me feel good ?

hmm. should have read along to Techman's post. Been running the free version of AVG for at least three years. No viruses. It links with Mozilla Thunderbird (my mail client) and scans incoming. I do not use Microsoft Outlook or Inturdnet Exploder either, so I have no spam problems. AVG ALL THE WAY. I use another program regularly, since I'm on the net so often researching or ordering. CCleaner. Look it up. Handy dandy for scouring your 'puter for junk and temp files. Also for cleaning out your registry (when you install and/or remove programs, there are many small registry files left behind that can cause issues in the long run) it's aces.

AVG, CCleaner and Webroot Spysweeper twice a month. With the Webroot I keep it disabled until I need to run a scan. It's got a MASSIVE memory footprint, but it's the BEST.

econolinesigns

We were using AVG but switched to Bit Defender at the recommendation of Cyrious. AVG scans both outgoing and incoming traffic on the network, thus slowing down file transfer and programs run over the network.

Craig Sjoquist

since I spend alot of time in a chat help room ...... I've been able to try several free versions ...but the best one to me is .....Avast ... then... AVG
I also like some paid versions ... like.... Nod 32 ... which has alot to look at for full use

I still enjoy ..hand lettering

Tony Teveris

At home it's McAfee because it is free w/ ComCast.

At work we deploy McAfee Enterprise.

Now everyone says theirs works fine but how does one really know (except for Geary and Bill M the Mac guys) what it's doing. I know most create "logs" but do you check them all the time?

My configuration at home is suppose to popup a message when it questions something and I have not seen a message in about 2 years.

anotherdog

Norton 360 on all machines, it's a hog and it costs $60 bucks per year for 3 licences, but with client files coming in it has flagged a few things and saved a lot of hair.

TorturdChaos

I use Avast! on all my home machines, and the ones at work here all have either Avast! or AVG on them. Used to use Norton at home, but was a resource hog.

I used to have a link for rating for anti-virus's that put Norton at rank 20ish, below both AVG and Avast!. Another list, and I cant find the link to this one either, put Norton in the top 5 for amount of resources it sucks up. Don't remember where McAfee was.

So Norton uses more processing power & ram to run, and is less effective than AVG or Avast..... hmmm

S'N'S

Tried McAfee, Norton & AGV (all slowed system down, some more than others) and found Avast the best paired with System Mechanic.

SignsOfMaine

AVG,, the better one. And FREE!
Avoid Norton and McAfee.. to much bloatware and soem known issues

+1

It's also [this is key] inobtrusive. It isn't jumping up and down and creating giant popups in your systray and spinning around with an animated icon and running 30 things under your task manager. Someone mentioned avast.. I found avast to be a little more distracting and I didn't like the interface, but I'll agree it beats the big 2, which are awful.

Gallant Reflex

FREE antivirus???

Do you really think these guys put these programs together for everyone to use out of the goodness of their hearts? Why would you devote the time and resources for nothing? Free antivirus is just a trojan horse....i know.