Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What Direction Do You Weed Your Cut Vinyl?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by AMGearhart, Aug 2, 2019.

1. AMGearhart

AMGearhart Member

Jan 15, 2016
    NC
    I know this seems obvious and simple, but how do you weed your cut vinyl? For instance, if it is 1" Swiss bold, title case, nothing special or fancy... do you weed it from right to left, or from left to right?

I've always weeded it right to left, since more letters are open on the right. But I was told I was wrong the other day. Which made me curious as to what other people do.

Tags:
  2. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

The standard, since back when cutting vinyl first started was upper right to lower left, for the very reason you stated. If doing large numbers of decals, you'll find the occasional one that works better left to right because of the combination of letters and shapes.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  3. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    same as uncleben said but numbers left to right, text right to left.

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Saw this post and just weeded some small copy, started right to left on one line then switched from left to right. Feel comfortable with the right to left. Large copy I just grab and pull from anywhere, down, up, sideways.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Reveal1

Reveal1 Active Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    I avoid weeding whenever possible. In the early days, my wife would come in and weed because she actually enjoyed it (opposites attract). As we've grown, I can hire someone to do something I detest. We literally stock only four rolls of colored vinyl. Now if I could just figure out a way to eliminate print/cut...

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 2
  6. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    That's what I was taught but end up doing right to left for all.

• Like Like x 1
  7. AMGearhart

AMGearhart Member

Jan 15, 2016
    NC
    Thank you for the replies. We have a new employee and she insists that cut vinyl must be weeded left to right because the plotter blade is at a 45 degree angle. It sounded unusual to me, so I was curious if others were doing it that way too.

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 5
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  8. equippaint

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Im at a loss for words here

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  9. petepaz

petepaz Major Contributor

Feb 14, 2007
    NJ/NY/PA
    which ever way works best and the fastest for the employee is fine by me.
    me i go in the direction of the most open letters/numbers. E, C, F, G, ....and so on. i weed towards the opening seems to work best and fastest for me

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Dan360

Dan360 Member

Dec 23, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I just go by however the vinyl is feeling that day, sometimes it's one way, other days reversing works better. I've never found one way that always works better for everything.

11. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    The blade we use for cutting reflective vinyl is 60°. Wonder how that should be weeded? :doh:

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 5
  12. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    Hey, I'd weed with my feet if I knew it went faster and resulted in fewer errors or lost letters.

Just finished weeding two identical sets of 3/4" Helvetica Medium. Did one left to right, opposite for the other. Zero difference.

• Like Like x 2
  13. ddarlak

ddarlak Trump Hater

that might be the most ludicrous thing I've ever heard.

right to left.

I have been weeding paragraphs of .63" text for 25 years, miles of them. right to left is the best way.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    Right to left

• Like Like x 1
  15. unclebun

unclebun Very Active Member

The angle of the blade. I actually did laugh out loud at that.

It might nbe interesting to hear her explanation of how that works.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. myront

myront CorelDRAW is best

Dec 3, 2015
    Niceville, FL
    Could it be the difference between left or right handed person? I like going right to left because I'm right handed and I keep an xacto in my right hand while weeding. I'll sometimes just pull out the centers as I go along.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. AMGearhart

AMGearhart Member

Jan 15, 2016
    NC
    To be clear, as long as the results are good, I don't worry about how someone chooses to weed vinyl. But with 24 years of experience, it was just baffling to be told by a new hire that I was wrong and that was the reason why.

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. equippaint

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Good time to implement drug testing

• Hilarious! Hilarious! x 10
  19. MikePro

MikePro Major Contributor

Feb 3, 2010
    Racine, WI
    +1 right to left.... reason being, more letters have their "opening" on the right-side.
    i also do a combination of up/down "light tugging" as I travel, pulling more vertical than horizontal so that the loose-bits don't drape-onto the rest of the vinyl.

if multiple lines of copy on a single field of vinyl, I'll add boxes around each line of copy for easier isolation of that section, removing the larger empty fields first and then tackling the boxes of copy last to avoid any possible unintentional contact/adhesion with the vinyl.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. TimToad

TimToad Very Active Member

Jun 13, 2013
    CA
    Go figure. I'm left handed and have almost always weeded right to left because I like being able to pull the centers out with my left hand and dental pick while pulling off the excess with my right. I have thought at times that the weeding the opposite direction from the starting point of the cutter made a difference, but I don't think it really matters.

Having done miles and miles of weeding over the decades, I'm all about the speed weeding technique.

• Like Like x 2