• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What Direction Do You Weed Your Cut Vinyl?

d fleming

Off topic, but the one thing I loved about Flexi was it's "half weed" (I can't remember what they called it)
but for tough small stuff, it made it so much easier!
View attachment 142025
Same in signlab, weed border . I will usually put one in the middle of very small text or in complex text. Right to left for font, left to right for #. All paragraph text gets weed borders between lines so text can be weeded quickly, easily and with minimal recuts.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Same in signlab, weed border . I will usually put one in the middle of very small text or in complex text. Right to left for font, left to right for #. All paragraph text gets weed borders between lines so text can be weeded quickly, easily and with minimal recuts.

Ditto for Signlab's weed function. I don't use it often, but it sure is handy.

JB

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Could it be the difference between left or right handed person? I like going right to left because I'm right handed and I keep an xacto in my right hand while weeding. I'll sometimes just pull out the centers as I go along.
This... My late sister-in-law showed me how to weed and used to get so aggravated with me because I did it "backwards" (I'm actually ambidextrous, but I prefer to use my right hand to pull the vinyl, with my left as the "detail" hand). I placated her by turning the cut pieces 180.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
This... My late sister-in-law showed me how to weed and used to get so aggravated with me because I did it "backwards" (I'm actually ambidextrous, but I prefer to use my right hand to pull the vinyl, with my left as the "detail" hand). I placated her by turning the cut pieces 180.

Whereby weeding left to right, correct?

Category5

My wife will help weed larger cut vinyl stuff. We start on opposite ends and work toward the middle. I wonder what angle blade I should be using for that one?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Thank you for the replies. We have a new employee and she insists that cut vinyl must be weeded left to right because the plotter blade is at a 45 degree angle. It sounded unusual to me, so I was curious if others were doing it that way too.
Yes and it depends on which hemisphere you live in.... LOL. Never have I heard a reasoning for weed direction being based on the blade angle. What happens to vinyl cut with a 35 blade?

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Whereby weeding left to right, correct?
I didn't explain very well, did I? Ha.
Yes, I'd still start on the left- but I'd be pulling from the same place she'd start since it was rotated. If she looked at it from across the table, it looked "right". It was enough to assuage her.

undertaker

If cut properly it should be easy to weed sandblast stencil. I weed in any and every direction.
We used Anchor rubber for many years, its able to withstand heavy sandblasting,
however it is tricky to apply especially outside.
We us a PVC tape now and love it, it does not stretch, cuts cleanly and if you are careful can be repositioned .

netsol

I am left handed.
I always weed left to right, because you know politics .....[/QUOTE

first I KNOW this is a VERY old thread

how many of you are left handed? we often discuss the right brain/left brain thing.
over the years at my networking business we have had 17 employees.
11 of them left handed
my ex-partner used to say, forget the interview, ask a question or two, then suddenly toss a tennis ball in the air. if he catches it with his left hand, hire him