• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what do you guys think??

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
start over....change fonts, colors, design...get rid of the outlines, they do nothing....

sketch out thumbnail designs on paper and then when you find one you really like, design it in your software in b/w ....once you got a design that is effect then add in your colors....but just not the ones you have, the way you have them...

davidcarr87

well i was planning on that...any other ideas tho?? lol

i have played around with a few but just to picky i guess...

like i said, this was just to get a order of business cards..had to meet xxx amount to get free shipping :p

Pat Whatley

Honest opinion, and it's gonna be brutal....you really need to hire somebody to do it for you. Keep practicing and you'll get the hang of it eventually but this isn't it, and it's so far from being it that you've got a lot of learning to do before you get there. You say it was "just" for a business card. You realize that your business card is the image of your business that your customer carries out of the shop, the image they show other people, and the image you stick in somebody's hand when you meet them for a bid. The image your business card presents is a hell of a lot more important than something you just rush out.

The reason I say to hire someone is you're in a visual business and what you're presenting visually is not a good image. There's really nothing there to build on.

Again, you'll figure it out, in time, just keep working on your design skills. You're just not there yet.

trik

I never really comment on others work. But you posted asking for what we thought. Honestly I would not have used it, even as a temp logo, I would just done black helvetica on a white card, before this. Nothing in it is even, the arched lettering does not match the curve of the swoosh, and the swoosh is very uneven for the flow.

Now that I made you mad...lol Practice what fenris said, creating a logo in black and white is always a great way to start. Search this site for design tips, layouts, etc. There are also great design books out there. Remember if you put in the effort to make it right for yourself and your customer, it will reap the benefits in the long run!

Good luck!

davidcarr87

i only ordered 250 cards, they are just temp cards...and thanks for the info, i made 3 different designs and i put them on another small business forum..they seemed to like this one..so thats what i went with, im not at home but when i get home i will post the others up..thanks for your advice

davidcarr87

trik..you didnt make me mad..lol
it takes a lot to make me mad :p and im expecting a lot of bad things said on here about this :p ...

Flame

It really amazes me... in a field where you are selling designs to customers for a living, people can jump into it creating designs not even worthy of grandma sitting on microsoft word.

Marco

2 cents

giving it my 2.
12.jpg

Last edited:

laserman70

I just dont understand why responses have to be worded the way they are.
If you dont like it, explain why. There is no need to disrespect, degrade or put down someone for trying. Yes, I agree it is not a good design. Give pointers, on how to make it better.
I dont usually comment, but sometimes things can be handled in a more tasteful manner.
If you truly are a "professional", than give a professional response.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I just dont understand why responses have to be worded the way they are.
If you dont like it, explain why. There is no need to disrespect, degrade or put down someone for trying. Yes, I agree it is not a good design. Give pointers, on how to make it better.
I dont usually comment, but sometimes things can be handled in a more tasteful manner.
If you truly are a "professional", than give a professional response.

When it's your turn to post you get to say whatever you want to say in whatever way you want to say it. When other get to post the get to say whatever they want to say in whatever way it might please them to do so. If this is the sort of thing that bothers you, you're going to spend a lot of time being bothered.

As far as the attempt at a logo in the original post...Not only is the layout awful, the color choices hideous and the typography terrible, even the name of the business seems to be a childish and failed attempt at being clever. The entire thing is worthless and without any redeeming features whatsoever. It is so bad that the only possible suggestion for improvement is to burn it.

That professional enough for you bucky?

Marco

3 cent

my 3 cents worth. I'm starting to like this co. name and this logo. Logo implies co. is capable to handle a wide range of work.:toasting:
123.jpg

davidcarr87

name has worked, as of right now i have 28 customers from a small tanning place to a bank, fire dept's sheriff dept..
they are all returning customers....they love the name..i am not really into the graphics design side, they have all brought me their work..and i do the job from there....
maybe tweak the image a few times etc etc...

marco, thanks for the comment.. i come to forums to learn and it seems no one really wants to take time to give advice on improvements, on 2 other graphic forums im on they have left rude comments but still take the time to suggest other ideas..

those of you on here that have helped..thanks
those of you not...its no big deal..i believe in karma--You get what you give, whether it's bad or good

just remember..everyone has to start somewhere..sorry if my work isnt as good as someone with 5 yrs exp...:D but i think im learning :D

Marco

U welcome, just having fun. Been doing this for about 3 years; little exp.; lots of heart. I have learned to welcome all input in these forums. Have fun. Beer on me.

Pat Whatley

David, the reason you aren't getting any suggestions on what to do is that what you posted shows no effort at all. You even said it was just a rush thing you threw together so you could get some free shipping. Do you really expect people here who have fought the struggles involved in building a business, who have learned through expensive trial and error, and who have spent countless hours working on their own business images to stop what they're doing and help someone how obviously doesn't want to even try? What you are essentially saying is that you want everyone here to tap into their hard-earned abilities, walk you through an image re-design step by step, explain to you how to do everything along the way using tricks and techniques they learned through hours of trial and error, coax you into finally getting a more professional looking image on your screen....ALL BECAUSE YOU OBVIOUSLY CAN'T BE BOTHERED TO EVEN POST UP YOUR OTHER DESIGNS? David, there is NOTHING in that first design to work from, nothing to build on. You need to start over from scratch. NOTHING you do to that design is going to fix it, you can't make a chicken salad out of chicken crap. Start over, with a pencil, sketch out 20 or 30 designs, pick out the three best and work them up on the computer. You don't have the skill set to see the finished product in your head before you do it so you don't need to start the design process on the computer. Seriously....get a pencil, they're cheap. 10 for a quarter at Wal-Mart right now. I know, I bought 100 of them today.

If you believe in karma you better watch out because you're gonna get kicked in the balls when that big old wheel comes rolling back around. You also might want to warn the people on that other small business forum who led you to believe what you used was okay that karma is coming after their lying asses, too.

We're not graphic design geniuses around here, I don't see a whole lot of national advertising awards being mentioned a lot. There are, however, a lot of extremely talented people around here who will throw themselves out there to help on a project when they feel the person asking is putting in the effort. Do a search for the FISH TACO design post that came up a while back. Most ad agencies don't put that much brainstorming into creating an image for a business. People will help, but you've got to earn the help by putting in the work.

For what it's worth here's a rough idea that popped into my head. By no means is it finished, and it may end up not even working if you play around with it a bit, so it's more of a digital sketch than anything. Ignore the top one, I forgot to delete it and I'm not starting up FlexiSign again just to fix the jpeg.

Attachments

• az.jpg
    az.jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 102

davidcarr87

pat, i also work a full time job at night..im a ems dispatcher, and i do not have the images on my work computer..its funny you post those, i actually had made one thats like the top one you have here..
but i didnt really care for it and the colors are different in the one i made

Fitch

It's terrible. No excuses, free shipping or whatever.

Pat Whately makes some very valid points.

I suggest you sit done AWAY FROM THE COMPUTER with pencil and paper and draw four - six very different designs. Think style, emotion, feeling, longevity, simplicity / complexity. Choose the one that best suits your company.

One very important thing: although you may participate on a part time basis, the full time approach should be taken. You cannot play part time thinking that you are going to do signs full time and all of a sudden you design skills level is going to jump overnight. It's not.

Become competant, push yourself, design each and every design at a high level and THEN quit your day job.

Cheers - G