• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

What is the goofiest thing a customer has said to/requested of you?

shoresigns

I'd like a price on a sign.

I don't know what kind of sign or how big or what it should look like.

I just want a price.

Respond quickly and seriously with "one million dollars!" and then stare at them until they reply. 9 times out of 10 "oh, I guess I have to be more specific".

inthesignbiz

Had a guy come in to order 250 cut vinyl stickers that say "NO SOLICITING".

I asked what he planned on doing with them.
"Sell them door to door" he said.

"That's kind of ironic isn't it?" I said.

He said he didn't get it.

Sent him on his way.

Maybe, he might be on to something?

vid

I had to make a set of corn hole boards. They are both naked ladies and you can guess what the hole is on the boards.. Was interesting.

I know I'm probably thinking the wrong side, but I just gotta ask, did the Vector Doctor help you create the artwork by any chance?

Pat Whatley

Pool company sent a guy to pick up lettering for their truck doors.

The guy picked them up, carried them out to the truck, then brought them back in and argued that one side was wrong. I looked at them, everything looked fine to me. He made me go out to the truck with him, he held the lettering up to one door and said "See, that one is right." Went to the other side, held the lettering up to the door and said "See what I'm talking about?" i didn't. We walked back to the other side, he held the lettering up and said "See, the P is toward the front like it's supposed to be." Go to the other side, held up the lettering and said "See, now the P is toward the back. They need to match."

Five minutes of desperately trying to explain to the guy he was an idiot I gave up and recut one side. He left with one set of POOL SOLUTIONS and one set of SNOITULOS LOOP.

You can't cure stupid.

Pat Whatley

An even better one....

Stoner kid with a juggalo attitude came in and wanted "F*** THE POLICE" (actually spelled out) and a big cannabis leaf stuck in his back window. I told him we didn't do window decals and he didn't want that anyway, the cops would be all over him for it. He went on a rant about his rights and freedom of speech. It was so comical that I told him we'd cut it but he was putting it on himself. Got it ready, he stuck it on in the parking lot, high fived himself and pulled out.

Have I mentioned that my shop is on the main road into downtown and a block from the police station?

Kid got pulled over a block up the road. Got a ticket, swore to the cop he was going to fight it all the way to the supreme court, and drove off.....a different cop pulled him over minutes later and wrote him another ticket.....by the third ticket in less that two miles he pulled the "F***" off the window.

Interesting side note....that loser kid knocked up his girlfriend and completely changed his life. Got himself cleaned up, married the girlfriend, and he's now a Lieutenant in the fire department.

klingsdesigns

An even better one....

Stoner kid with a juggalo attitude came in and wanted "F*** THE POLICE" (actually spelled out) and a big cannabis leaf stuck in his back window. I told him we didn't do window decals and he didn't want that anyway, the cops would be all over him for it. He went on a rant about his rights and freedom of speech. It was so comical that I told him we'd cut it but he was putting it on himself. Got it ready, he stuck it on in the parking lot, high fived himself and pulled out.

Have I mentioned that my shop is on the main road into downtown and a block from the police station?

Kid got pulled over a block up the road. Got a ticket, swore to the cop he was going to fight it all the way to the supreme court, and drove off.....a different cop pulled him over minutes later and wrote him another ticket.....by the third ticket in less that two miles he pulled the "F***" off the window.

Interesting side note....that loser kid knocked up his girlfriend and completely changed his life. Got himself cleaned up, married the girlfriend, and he's now a Lieutenant in the fire department.

See you changed his life by making that sticker.

Blaney

Jackass stops in and said "can ask you a question"
Me: sure
JA: I just bought my wife a Cricut. We are going to make our own signs for our shop. How do you make big letters?
Me: I bought the big Cricut.

round man

customer calls and asks for susie(name changed to protect the not so innocent),.....me,....."Susie isn't in this week may I help you ?"
well I need to discuss the file I emailed Susie,....well I have access to Susie"s account may I ask your name (the shop only uses one email account for clients) well my name is on the email can't you read it? (as if his is the only email message amongst the 40 or 50 I go thru each day) If you would please give me your name and or the name of the firm we bill for the work I can access the file you want to discuss andI can possibly help you with your signage,.....well maybe you can help me can you see the file I sent Susie?,its the one with my artwork for my sign attached,...well I need your name and or the name of the firm we invoiced to find the file,...customer then complains he can't seem to communicate with me and he will call back when Susie is in,....I say well suit yourself and bid him good day(if he only knew Susie quit last week)

Jillbeans

I've been dealing with two clients from the same baseball association since February.
They have ordered nothing to date, although I've sent them three proposals.
"We have no problem with the price you're asking. What we do have a problem with is having to give you a deposit to see the design. What if we don't like it after we pay you the deposit?"
I said that's like going to a restaurant and sampling everything on their menu, and if you like it, you'll buy a dinner.
They said another company had sent them a layout for free but they hated it.
I, myself, hate most people.
:Big Laugh
I have told people the "one million dollars" answer.
Also when asked a price for a very vague description of a possible sign they may be getting eventually, I've asked for more details. I say "I'm not a psychic"
Love....Jill

d fleming

And then there are the dozens of customers who wanted a two sided sign with an arrow pointing to one side. They never understand why one side is laid out pointing left and the second side pointing right until they get the sign.

Had that one today!

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
And then there are the dozens of customers who wanted a two sided sign with an arrow pointing to one side. They never understand why one side is laid out pointing left and the second side pointing right until they get the sign.

Along these lines, the DF signs with the arrow pointing "up". And then, they don't understand why you're asking them which way the arrow's supposed to be pointing on the obverse.
"Up, just like the front."
"So, you're sending them in the opposite direction from the front?"
"Huh?"

alienwraps

I have a customer we are doing a golf car wrap on that wants "Tally-Wacker" on the hood

I also sent an estimate for a customer... info as followed

5000 2.5" Circle labels on a 4" roll
7-10 business days

He send me an order and says I would like to order 5000 labels, do they come on a roll and can I have them on Friday. (keep in mind this is Wednesday when he sent this)

Zambookajoe

haha

this is quite a while back, I do lots of work for a gm dealer here, and a customer wanted some work done before he picked us is brand new high end buick, so he's looking thru my books and he picks a big ugly friggin demon that spittings flames, he wants across the hood. I say What, ok whatever, then he wants me to cut his postal code from gold, Ok I guess he's gonna put it on his mailbox or something but no... he puts 2 digits in font of both front handles and a single digit both back handles, so I ask whats the purpose, he tells me if somebody ever finds my car they'll no where to send it..... lol

another time we sold some decals to a guy that was presenting himself for mayor, it was straight cut vinyl with pre mask
dumbhasss and all his supporters going around town with decals on there vehicles, with the pre mask still on

I think I could write a book lol

Phil Swanson

Premium Subscriber
I had an older Italian customer that had an excavatoin company. (not bashing Italians here, my wife is Italian so I can say this! LOL)

This was one of my best customers and a very nice and generous person. when I first met him he wanted a tow behind compressor lettered and one of the things he wanted was in his words was " Pheel, you put ona heer, doana smash! the workers smasha da machine all the time! I was trying hard not to smile too much.:Big Laugh I have since moved away and is one of my most missed customers.

Joe Diaz

We had a guy stop in a couple weeks ago, I kid you not, and thought that we had his company's sign pre-made waiting in the back somewhere. He didn't order it weeks ago ans was just now coming in to pick it up, this was the first time we had contact with him. I was nice, deep down inside I was laughing my a$$ off, but I was like, "ah no we don't have your sign, would you like to order it?" Then once we got to the part where he found out we wouldn't have it done for him in the next 15 minutes, he decided not to order it. I'm still wondering if it was a prank and there was some camera hidden somewhere. I'm expecting to run into the video on Youtube one of these days.

skyhigh

added note, Delirium Tremens has it going on with the Pink Elephants. I'd want something "memorable" like that for my brand. Throwin' darts at the wall here, but how bout a Green Goldfish?

Mike, did you accidentally take your medication twice today? :Big Laugh
just kidding bud.

As for the question ...... "What is the goofiest thing a customer has requested"

My favorite story is about 25 years ago, when I owned and operated a video production studio. We produced everything from promotional & instructional videos, to wedding videos.

One of our wedding customers (the bride), requested we arrive at her home around the time she would wake up, and video her entire morning leading up to her arrival at the church. She didn't want me to miss a thing.....shower....dressing....makeup....brushing her teeth......and of course her interaction with her family and brides maids. Everything!!!!!

I even amazed myself at my professionalism. I never drooled on my shirt once.

Last edited:

Gene@mpls

We had an old **** come in years ago for boat reg numbers and insisted that they have to be MN1234FU on one side and UF4321NM on the other. Finally made them
that way and he went away... always wondered what the first DNR officer who saw him thought?