• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

what would you pay for this line drawing

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
First off, let me tell you I did not get enough but it was a learning experience

What would you expect to pay for something like this? If people are saying, $25 then I won't ever bother since I will never make any profit

I need to know if there is a market for this. Keep in mind the customer in this case only wanted a line drawing and 1 color. No shading

I posted something similar for a boy's face but I did not enjoy that job. I would prefer these more technical type drawings instead

Keep in mind I am doing one-offs. If this was sold as clipart, then I could do it for $10 since there is a potential to sell it multiple times.

I don't resell customer art and have no intention to do so

Attachments

• nz.jpg
    nz.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 126
  • Screen shot 2011-02-23 at 12.58.46 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-02-23 at 12.58.46 PM.png
    717.8 KB · Views: 113

WrapperX

I would expect to pay your hourly rate. What more could anyone expect? What's your hourly rate? Cause if its too high, that might be the problem.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Oh and part 2.... is this too much detail or just about right? Had it been your job? Remember these are more subjective versus a logo or clipart that already has the appearance of something that can be vectored and requires no guessing as to what needs traced or left off

John Butto

a lot of work

An Ad Agency charges at the least $150.00 an hour and people on this site are charging $1,000 for logos and since you do such detailed work don't underestimate yourself.

Graphics2u

I would pay $40-$50 maybe a little more depending on how fast I needed it. Any more than that and I would do it myself, but for someone who can't do it themselves they might give more.

That's excellent by the way!

GypsyGraphics

purchasing it as clip art $15-$20

illustrated from a client's supplied image $100

very nice work by the way! can i ask how long that took you?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure how your pricing structure is set up, but that appears to be about an hour's worth of work. If you had a minimum for let's say tedious work vs. your run of the mill easy ones...... I could see if someone else couldn't do that..... it being worth $75 to $125.

However, with all the hacks out there advertising they do this work.... and cheap..... I've seen some as low as $34. You can't compete with them, so hopefully you get paid upfront for this sorta work.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Speaking as an active marketer of my own clipart and that of other artists, I can put a number on what the image would bring you in typical royalty earnings per year with good to excellent exposure ...

$5.00 to $10.00 per year.

Which explains why there isn't much in the way of new clipart being developed these days.

GypsyGraphics

people on this site are charging $1,000 for logos and since you do such detailed work don't underestimate yourself.

apples and oranges

no correlation with logo pricing
(unless the client hands you their fully deigned logo, sketched out, and ask to have it illustrated)

weaselboogie

I've done work like that and would easily charge $100 for that for any customer. I also do work for a guy that does a lot of laser engraving and needs logos and pics cleaned up in vector on a consistent basis. I don't charge him as much, but would still probably be in the 75+ range. You're faster than I am, but there's a lot of detail there.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
apples and oranges

no correlation with logo pricing
(unless the client hands you their fully deigned logo, sketched out, and ask to have it illustrated)

Really? Whether you are designing a logo from scratch or doing a technical illustration why should it be any different? An hourly rate is an hourly rate. Many technical illustrators charge $50-100 per hour, Talent is talent.

Of course there are guys in China that would do this for $10

OldPaint

very nice. lot of time in that. being a line(vector) drawing, iam sure somone would use it in vinyl cutting. to cut that, would be a weeding nightmare. i have done a few drawings on my own so i could cut in vinyl, and boy you croos one line, or dont have 2 lines in some places makes it a real bear. to cut that, some of the detail would have to be eliminated. and lines added to some so it will be an object rather then just a line. but still nice work.

TheSnowman

If you had quoted me anywhere between $50 - $150, I'd have said that you were right in line probably. It would depend on what the project was for however, if I'd have you do the job. Most customers would think that it was a mega-ripoff, but they don't value anything I do either if that's their tone. I'd say if it was like a $75 conversion, I'd have you do a few of them for me a year. Rarely do I have the ability to take an actual photo and have it created into a vector.

If you were willing to do these, and they came out that great, I'd probably try and sell a lot more of these items. I just never thought you could do anything with that much detail. I guess my question to you is, what would you LIKE to charge for something like that?

weaselboogie

Really? Whether you are designing a logo from scratch or doing a technical illustration why should it be any different? An hourly rate is an hourly rate. Many technical illustrators charge $50-100 per hour, Talent is talent.

Of course there are guys in China that would do this for $10

I think I'd agree with Gypsy. I generally tend to START at a certain level for logo design even if I get lucky and nail it right out the gate with only minutes invested. Once the revisions start to go above and beyond, the hourly rate usually kicks in above the initial base.