Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When someone asks..."Is that the best price you can give me?"

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing, Pricing Etc.' started by Speedsterbeast, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Speedsterbeast

Speedsterbeast Active Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Thunder Bay
    Just wondering how people handle the "Is that the best price you can give me?" line.
    My ego wants to say yes, but I don't want to do work for someone who doesn't appreciate my skill and experience, so just throw my quote away and go elsewhere. Or - If you can get a better price, then go with it. But my wallet and professional business side wants to explain that based on materials, and time that the price I quoted should be a very competitive quote.
    I would like to know what others have done.

Tags:
  2. CanuckSigns

CanuckSigns Very Active Member

Nov 11, 2008
    Ontario
    I don't worry about it, 9 times out of 10 the people who say this never become clients, they will end up buying something online then complain the quality sucks.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 3
  3. rossmosh

rossmosh Active Member

Oct 9, 2014
    New Jersey
    Ask them what they're prepared to spend. Then offer them a product that is in their budget.

The other option is offer them a cash, pay up front, discount on the same service.

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Pure Genius! Pure Genius! x 1
  4. GAC05

GAC05 Major Contributor

Dec 27, 2005
    Guam USA
    Ask them "Is that the best amount of money you can give me? Come on, I think you can do better than that, lets take a look at your bank statements."

• Like Like x 7
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. SignStudent

SignStudent Member

Jun 12, 2010
    TN
    I say yes, but offer options that could lower the price like reducing size, simplifying the design, etc.

• Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 3
  6. Speedsterbeast

Speedsterbeast Active Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Thunder Bay
    It's a dentist office too. I want to ask if people ask them that when they pay their bills for dental work.
    I like that suggestion. Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  7. equippaint

equippaint Very Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    No but its the best price that I am going to give you

• Like Like x 4
    • Hilarious! Hilarious! x 1
  8. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Just look them square in the face and say....... no, but if you're dumb enough to pay that, I'll gladly take it. Oh, did you want installation included in that ??

There are so many ways around that kinda comeback. Try using a 3 tier pricing schedule and you can back yourself out quite convincingly.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. FireSprint

FireSprint Merchant Member

It's really challenging to offer a single price point. You work yourself into a hole. I feel like it's pretty reasonable for a customer to ask if there is a better price available. They might be trying to get a few bucks off yes, but I feel like most of the time they are looking to see if there are other options.

For example, we offer 3 versions of the same general size of retractable banner stand.

We have a discount, but still decent economy banner stands for someone on a budget, a middle of the road option, and a retractable with a lifetime warranty for the road warriors that are really going to use their stand.

The ball is in the customer's court to pick which one they want. And if they want to pay less than that, we always have quantity discounts available.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Sindex Printing

Sindex Printing Member

Nov 17, 2018
    Sparks
    Unfortunately I get it a lot. I always start my pricing with premium materials and offer and economy price and explain the difference in the quality of materials and the expected longevity of each one. You never know the financial situation of the customer.
    I know I have had to make that sacrifice the quality of items I purchased because that is the budget I could afford. I don't get insulted by it I just try and work with them.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    Frisco, TX
    I don't get it all that often, mainly because I refer out those run down gas station or hotel customers now.

When I do get the question, I usually offer a cheaper product but tell them why I didn't recommend that one in the first place.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Billct2

Billct2 Major Contributor

Mar 12, 2005
    New England
    my answer is "Yes, it's a competitive market and my prices are very fair based on the quality and service, but if you want to consider more economical alternatives I can do that"

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  13. visual800

visual800 Very Active Member

Aug 4, 2010
    montgomery, alabama
    Every now and then I still get it or hear "Can you sharpen your pencil?" I tell them my prices are just that, I dont play that game any longer however back in the day I did, aint gonna lie. I always try a 2 or 3 tier pricing to offer more choices and they still go out and buy coro from another sign guy

• Like Like x 1
  14. Reveal1

Reveal1 Member

Nov 7, 2010
    Cape Girardeau, MO
    Good answer Sign Student. I spent 35 (successful) years in print-related sales before a moment of insanity to try my hand in this business. Making an effort to discover a customer's needs and offering options to balance budget, messaging goals, service requirements etc. is sales 101 and will strengthen your long-term relationship. You are showing a willingness to respond and placing them in a position to prioritize among options that work for you as well.

• Like Like x 2
  15. DerbyCitySignGuy

DerbyCitySignGuy Very Active Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    Unless someone is already requesting the least expensive material we offer, the answer is always "yes, but..." Even then it's "yes, but you have to order 100."

CanuckSigns is correct, the type of customer that wants to nickel and dime you to death is, in the end, unlikely to order from you anyway. If they're hung up on the price of the job instead of the other details, you probably don't want them as a customer anyway. That's a huge red flag.

• Like Like x 1
  16. decalman

decalman Active Member

Sep 2, 2012
    phoenix
    I tell them I can do it for half of that...
    But I'll only deliver on half the job.

17. my answer is typically "Actually now that I think about it I'm kinda busy and I really won't be able to do this for you."

Anyone who asks if it is your best price is not a customer worth having.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
  18. fresh

fresh Very Active Member

May 16, 2011
    nj
    1. there are groups of people who come into my shop that i automatically add a bit, so when they no-undoubtedly ask for a discount, I can hem and haw and lower it to what I would normally charge.
    2. I always can give a better price, but its not apples to apples.

When people keep pushing, I just remind them that I'm here to make money. If they can't afford my very reasonable priced services, I don't know how to help.

19. Asuma01

Asuma01 Member

Nov 19, 2013
    Bend, OR
    Its a negotiating tactic. Nothing to take offence to. You should expect them to ask that question and already have an answer for it. If they don't ask it then hey bonus.

20. Gino

Gino Premium Subscriber

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

I had some work done at my dentist about a year and a half ago and before he started, he told me what he was gonna do and how much it would cost. I simply asked him...... is that the best price or do I have other options ?? He said, don't worry, we'll work something out. My initial quote was for $1,080. Ended up costing me $920.00. He didn't do anything different than what he first offered, except lowered my cost.

It never hurts to ask, whichever side of the fence you're on.​

• Like Like x 3