• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

When someone asks..."Is that the best price you can give me?"

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
The truth is that people who ask that question save more money than people who don't. It can be super annoying as the seller but it works out for them in the long run so why change? I have products that I have more wiggle room on. If someone asks about a better price for those items I usually will make a quantity discount or offer free expedited shipping. If they ask for a better price on a low margin item I say no I'm already at bottom dollar on that item. Ink is a perfect example. We give discounts to customers who buy a lot of ink. I have customers who use the same amount of ink per month and pay completely different prices because one asked for a deal and the other didn't.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Why even bother figuring out pricing then? Why set margins? Just sell your product for whatever price your customer wants to pay.

If y'all want to teach your customers that haggling is the rule at your shop, then by all means, go for it. That's your business. Just don't be surprised when it gets to the point that you're either losing money or a customer.

Bigdawg

Just Me
I ask my vendors for better prices - so I'm never offended if someone asks us the same question. We generally answer with "This would be the price for the construction quoted, but let's take a look together and see what options may be available that would help you keep the cost down." Most of the time we still end up with the original construction/pricing, but the customer feels like they had some options rather than a "take it or leave it" attitude from us.

TimToad

Unless someone is already requesting the least expensive material we offer, the answer is always "yes, but..." Even then it's "yes, but you have to order 100."

CanuckSigns is correct, the type of customer that wants to nickel and dime you to death is, in the end, unlikely to order from you anyway. If they're hung up on the price of the job instead of the other details, you probably don't want them as a customer anyway. That's a huge red flag.

We have plenty of customers who play the game as it was taught to them either culturally or through work experiences. Some people just need to feel like they struck a bargain or good deal in order to justify what they consider doing their due diligence.

That's why we try to quickly perceive what kind of client it is then apply a tiered approach whenever possible.

In a related but different scenario, we're working right now on a perfect example of how to handle a customer who in this case saw something he liked somewhere but had no idea how much the raw materials cost. He isn't pressuring us to lower our price or wrestle a better deal from us, he just didn't know.

He sent us a nice, scaled schematic of an interior set of three 20"x 72" 1/2" thick frosted acrylic signs with painted 3/4" thick first surface mounted letters and logo icon with MBS style standoffs. A 4'x8' sheet of the background material alone in that thickness is about $800 with shipping. You can only get two of three signs out of one sheet, so we'd be stuck with over half a sheet of drop off and the end cuts. After getting a quote from Gemini, the letters and logo retail out at $1,200 for all three.

Before wasting much time and even sending him the first quote on exactly what he asked for, I preemptively asked if he had any idea how much these materials thicknesses cost and if he'd be open to other options. He was unaware and was very much open to alternatives. Just by offering that information, we've gained his trust and he knows we're looking out as much for his best interests as we are selling him something that is clearly overkill. Just by switching to 3/8" clear with frosted crystal vinyl applied to the face and using 1/2" thick letters, the cost dropped dramatically. We sent him an estimate with several different options ranging from his original idea down to 1/4" clear with frosted crystal vinyl and 1/2" thick letters and logo.

DerbyCitySignGuy

We have plenty of customers who play the game as it was taught to them either culturally or through work experiences. Some people just need to feel like they struck a bargain or good deal in order to justify what they consider doing their due diligence.

That's why we try to quickly perceive what kind of client it is then apply a tiered approach whenever possible.

In a related but different scenario, we're working right now on a perfect example of how to handle a customer who in this case saw something he liked somewhere but had no idea how much the raw materials cost. He isn't pressuring us to lower our price or wrestle a better deal from us, he just didn't know.

He sent us a nice, scaled schematic of an interior set of three 20"x 72" 1/2" thick frosted acrylic signs with painted 3/4" thick first surface mounted letters and logo icon with MBS style standoffs. A 4'x8' sheet of the background material alone in that thickness is about $800 with shipping. You can only get two of three signs out of one sheet, so we'd be stuck with over half a sheet of drop off and the end cuts. After getting a quote from Gemini, the letters and logo retail out at $1,200 for all three.

Before wasting much time and even sending him the first quote on exactly what he asked for, I preemptively asked if he had any idea how much these materials thicknesses cost and if he'd be open to other options. He was unaware and was very much open to alternatives. Just by offering that information, we've gained his trust and he knows we're looking out as much for his best interests as we are selling him something that is clearly overkill. Just by switching to 3/8" clear with frosted crystal vinyl applied to the face and using 1/2" thick letters, the cost dropped dramatically. We sent him an estimate with several different options ranging from his original idea down to 1/4" clear with frosted crystal vinyl and 1/2" thick letters and logo.

Sure, but there's a pretty significant difference between giving a customer options and caving to anybody who asks for a discount.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Why even bother figuring out pricing then? Why set margins? Just sell your product for whatever price your customer wants to pay.

If y'all want to teach your customers that haggling is the rule at your shop, then by all means, go for it. That's your business. Just don't be surprised when it gets to the point that you're either losing money or a customer.

There are some cultures where haggling is as common as saying "how are you today?". In India, you can expect to haggle over the price of a $1 mango. In their culture, neither seller nor buyer will feel satisfied unless they had a quick spat back and fourth and met somewhere in the middle. It's different for us... We want a fair price and know that no one is getting special deals. I think we also value customer service more the just the price, we have more wealth in this country and is somewhat taboo to haggle or appear short on cash.

Depending on who the customer is, for standard signs we have two options. We can either price it by the book, or we can look up current market prices for our materials and calculate a price based on that. The book price is always about 15-20% higher than if I calculate the price based on substrate and material costs and the bare minimum I need to be profitable on a job.

Aside from that, as has been mentioned, we also always price higher quality products first so we have the option of reducing our price for a slightly lesser quality product if need be such as offering cast products and then calendered. Nine times out of ten though, when a customer realizes that calendered will only save them maybe 10-12%, they go with a premium product anyway.

DerbyCitySignGuy

Of course, there is. That's why I tried to make the distinction in my example.

I definitely got your point, was just reinforcing that option does not equate to discount regarding making someone feel like they have choices versus giving them a discount because they asked for one.

Engendering the idea that some customers get special treatment via discounts is only going to backfire.

2B

we use the GOOD > BETTER > BEST approach. and have visuals to show the difference
also from the very first conversation, ask
  • what is the budget
  • what is the intended use
  • How do you want it to be perceived, as this item reflects YOUR business.
    • looks cheap = YOU are cheap
    • looks professional = YOU are quality
  • lifespan
  • etc.
If they want a one time use event sign, don't price .080 Alum with reflective and contour shape cutting.
also, tell them if they order more per order (higher QTY or multiple items) the price will go down.
the ones that ask if there is a better price are better than the ones that say XXXX will do it for $$ amount.

Johnny Best

That question about best price happens all the time in business and had to laugh when someone mention "culturally" and someone else talked about a $1 mango haggle in India (that scenario would not happen in a country like India with the average yearly income of $600, maybe one rupee).
Now when someone ask if "that is the best price" or "can I do better on the price" I tell them the story of a customer who is haggling over the price of a suit from a tailor shop. Finally the store owner gets so frustrated he tells the customer he can have the suit for free, the customer replies, in that case I will take two suits! You will be surprised on the expression and apology that person will say to you that they are not looking for anything free but just a better deal and then the tears of not being able to afford that right now as he gets into his brand new BMW parked in front of your shop.

ColorCrest

All around shop helper.
Anyone use "time" as a factor? Usually negotiable much like good, better, best and often can be the deciding point. Sometimes "who" also.

good, better, best.
economy, standard, expedite.
apprentice, journeyman, master.

There's some sharpened pencils.

2B

This seems fitting to the topic

upload_2019-2-14_13-22-14.png

decalman

When somebody says to me... " is that the best price you can give me" I always say " no that wasn't the best price, here, let me give you a higher one⬆"

decalman

I had some work done at my dentist about a year and a half ago and before he started, he told me what he was gonna do and how much it would cost. I simply asked him...... is that the best price or do I have other options ?? He said, don't worry, we'll work something out. My initial quote was for $1,080. Ended up costing me $920.00. He didn't do anything different than what he first offered, except lowered my cost.

It never hurts to ask, whichever side of the fence you're on.​

Dentist are nice if you can afford them
:D:snarky: