• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

When someone asks..."Is that the best price you can give me?"

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We offer three kinds of service
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
Good service CHEAP won't be FAST
Good service FAST won't be CHEAP
FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD
This sign is on my mechanic's door....I wrote on the back, Jeff gets GOOD service, FAST and CHEAP

TimToad

We offer three kinds of service
GOOD - CHEAP - FAST
You can pick any two
Good service CHEAP won't be FAST
Good service FAST won't be CHEAP
FAST service CHEAP won't be GOOD

Variations of that have been used for decades and decades. Adhering to it is usually the challenge.

jman

Just kidding, Just have to be confident and roll it off the tounge and if they like it cool. If not, you don't have to justify anything other than yes that's my best price to be able to stay profitable. Simple as that!

ddarlak

Go Bills!
There are some cultures where haggling is as common as saying "how are you today?". In India, you can expect to haggle over the price of a $1 mango. In their culture, neither seller nor buyer will feel satisfied unless they had a quick spat back and fourth and met somewhere in the middle. It's different for us... We want a fair price and know that no one is getting special deals. I think we also value customer service more the just the price, we have more wealth in this country and is somewhat taboo to haggle or appear short on cash

Last person I kicked out of my shop for price haggling was a woman from India. She brought her husband with her, he was on a leash, she repeatedly scolded him when he realized that the price I had given them was not up for debate. I guess her culture was to belittle me and have me explain why I was charging so much for a company that was just starting out. I told her she had already wasted enough of my time and to leave. You can thumbs down good advice and haggle all you want, there is plenty of good work out there, i'll take that...

BobM

I had some work done at my dentist about a year and a half ago and before he started, he told me what he was gonna do and how much it would cost. I simply asked him...... is that the best price or do I have other options ?? He said, don't worry, we'll work something out. My initial quote was for $1,080. Ended up costing me $920.00. He didn't do anything different than what he first offered, except lowered my cost.

It never hurts to ask, whichever side of the fence you're on.​
I asked my root canal dentist if he do a little less expensive. "I can go in from the bottom". I paid full price.

TXFB.INS

Whenever I get one of those, I always ask if they haggle for a lower price when they go to the grocery store, restaurant, Walmart, Amazon, any order online, etc...

as others have stated, the 3 tier pricing is best.
they don't like the price on the tier, go to the next one down.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
A few years ago my dentist offered to crown 6 teeth for $1500 each. I offered $800 each, cash, and he said he would do it.

I ended up not doing it, and my teeth are still working just fine.

If I need expensive dental work in the future, I plan on taking a "medical vacation" to Costa Rica.

Sandman

Three tier pricing is one of the best ways to adhere to your price.

Changing the quality and size is another.

But discounting a sign is the worst thing you can do. When you lower your price at their request, the customer will never be happy. He will always wonder if he really got the lowest price possible or if he should have haggled some more. It doesn't make for a good customer.

Tattoosleeve

Put the ball back in their court.

"Why do you feel you should get a better price?"

Usually leaves them dumbfounded and unresponsive for a couple seconds. When they gather themselves and begin talking again they don't ever have a valid reason.

This is also one of my pet peeves as someone above stated. If I go into any retail store the price is the price.

Chuck B

Riff Meister
Just wondering how people handle the "Is that the best price you can give me?" line.
My ego wants to say yes, but I don't want to do work for someone who doesn't appreciate my skill and experience, so just throw my quote away and go elsewhere. Or - If you can get a better price, then go with it. But my wallet and professional business side wants to explain that based on materials, and time that the price I quoted should be a very competitive quote.
I would like to know what others have done.

When someone asks "$300, can you do any better?",...I'll answer "Sure, let's make it $350"...always gets a smile.

davearama

In today's world just because someone dares to ask "is that the best you can do?" shouldn't wind up in the "someone you don't want to do business with" category.

Bought a car lately? Gone to Best Buy to buy a new washing machine and they're not on sale today? Just ask...they can give your a deal.

If your margins are right and you can do it and do it right the first time 90% or 95% of something beats the hell out of 100% of nothing.

The other thing is if your business is booming and you're booked up as far as you want to be (first of all I'm insanely jealous!) then your pricing is right and you don't need the guy's discounted business.

Even then, just because he asked you for a discount don't make him sound like he's the scourge of the earth.

Jeremiah

Let me share something. I did all the buying for a large company. When I first started to buy. I did not ask the price break point I would order 100 of one item or 110 of another item
Usually case lots are the best price, because they cut down on packaging labor. One time I got a different sales rep since mine was on vacation. I ordered 100 of an item. The replacement sales rep said your cost is 35.00 each, but if you buy 109 of them your cost is 29.00. I was shocked and learned to ask EVERY TIME. I was not asking for a deal. I was just learning their system. I started working it to my advantage. BUT... dont get me wrong I hate it when someone sits and crys about an already good price on one 4x8 banner sign. When my price is already fair.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
On bigger projects where I think there's a potential of selling a big ticket item, I always tell them "I'm going to quote you a Cadillac - the best you can get. We can come down on the features from there to meet your budget if necessary".

OhioSigns

I hate hagglers. I tell them the price that I give is carefully formulated to be competitive and still profitable and is the best that I can do with the given specs. I just had an older realtor come in yesterday..... asked to get a quote on (2) 24" x 24" double sided 3mm ACM signs with single color vinyl. I worked up a quick price for it and came to $45 each to layout the graphics and produce the signs since he did not have his logo as vector artwork. Told him if it was more than 2 signs they would be cheaper with quantity. He huffed around that he is getting sticker shock on the price of signage (must of had another sign company quote also) as he had a retired signmaker that was making them on the side for $18 each. He asked if I could do better on my price and I just about laughed and told him the blanks alone I sell for $14 each. If he can keep having that guy do them he better keep doing them cause he's giving them away. He said he would think about it........ so wasted 10-15 minutes of my day with unreasonable expectations. I keep thinking more and more about not having walk-ins and just doing appointments only and keeping the tire kickers from wasting my time. If throughout the day 4 people stop in and take 15 minutes each of your time you've killed an hour of your workday and usually it's while you are in the middle of something and you have to drop what you are doing.

bannertime

On bigger projects where I think there's a potential of selling a big ticket item, I always tell them "I'm going to quote you a Cadillac - the best you can get. We can come down on the features from there to meet your budget if necessary".

Just about any car salesman will tell you that's the opposite tactic. You get their budget, you show them a vehicle right at the tippy top of the budget and then tell them there is a vehicle that's got just a few more features for just a similar monthly price. They're happy they got an awesome car close to their budget, and you made more money that you would have. You never want to start at the top and work down, because this can cause all sorts of negative emotions that will lower your chance of a sell.

Jeremiah

A sales and closing tactic I have used is. You quote a price on a quality item/job. The customer says.... can you do it for less. I politely say no, but we had a special last month and I can include a ( shiny silver clip ) for you at no extra charge or anything....... this way you still get the job. You include something that costs you 1.00 and has a perceived value of 10.99 or higher. they win and you win, because you get fullprice. And... you did not cut the price , .