• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Will the real DeSoto please stand up.....

iSign

thanks for the post... I'm sorry if I have been at odds with you before. I honestly don't keep track of who I disagree with. I have no gripe against you.

Like yourself I am an opinionated person. I also come here as a person, not an Officer of the site. I don't see myself as a bigwig & do not wish to be seen as one. The very day my willingness to volunteer to help signs101 resulted in my title changing... I asked if the title could be removed.

You are opinionated. I have absolutely no problem with others sharing different opinions... but when an opinion seems highly charged on the one hand, but extremely vague on the other hand... then to me it is a waste of space, until the writers intent can be understood.

I have been trying to get clarity on some of your position, because it hasn't been as clear to me as you may think it is, however I may be the only one who doesn't get it... to me, the Honda sign is 100% irrelevant. To you, I guess it is quite an explicit supporting documentation of you opinion on this whole topic. Sorry I didn't see it that way. That's the trouble with communication... it doesn't always work. I try to use sarcasm to make a point, & I just end up an a**hole. Oh well.

i;ve called Isign many things at times and i know he's probably called me things a time or two . over the many many years we have not always seen eye to eye on various topics but having gotten to know him the last thing i would call him was a bully...

i am glad i never took our disagreements to heart because i would be minus a friend. there is no reason for any of our disagreements on any of these topics to go any further than that.

~group hug~

now if you are just a down right a hole in type and in real life...

cdiesel

<sigh>

There's so many "ifs" going on here, I'm not even going to try to address them. I don't know where the idea that only certified people would be able to buy materials--that's ludacris, and will *never* happen. You think 3M is certifying people because they want to lessen their potential client base?

Circleville Signs

First, let me say that I believe wholeheartedly that SELF-REGULATION within the industry could protentially be a VERY valuable thing.

The problem with any type of certification program though is very simple, and yet no one has yet to address it within this thread.

Any certification program is only as valuable to its industry if there is a strong public perception of the certification.

The only way for any kind of certification, be it 3M, PDAA, ISA, etc. will be worth the paper it is printed on is if the issuing organization makes a full scale effort to educate the buying public on why they should make their purchases from certified companies/installers/manufacturers, etc.

Without that, any certification is just us industry "insiders" patting each other on the back.

Gary

kstompaint

Corian is actually a very good example! I wish I had thought of that. I have a friend who is in the counter-top making business, so I'm familliar with that.

iSign

oh... sorry 'bout that...

...someone posted a half burned out sign he thought was done by a "certified" electrician...

...and he implied that it somehow strengthened his case against wrap certifications...

...so I was just being sarcastic :rolleyes:

Techman

So why not have a council? Self regulated, by professionals for professionals?
As I have mentioend

Real estate are self regulated. them and a host of others saw the light and formed their own systems.

SSG_SIGNS

All I know is that we get under cut by the mom & pops all the time because at the beginning the customer is more concerned about the price than they are anything else, but once they get bit in the azz by the poor quality of work they come crying back to us and want us to fix the potato chip abortion that they have been given. So yes in a way certification requirements would be good, & we would love to have the wrap certs under our belt & on our walls but honestly we can't afford to pay the price. Yeah sure we do the one & two day classes where we can that are give by our vendors but even those sometimes are pretty steep. The design cert I think should be a degree in design of sort from a good well known school, because the school isn't going to give you the degree if you suck.