• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Work table tops

petepaz

our tops are formica so they get cut marks and will have to replace someday but they are about 5 years old and still ok (try not to cut too much on them most of the time it is just cutting apart sheets as they come out of the laminator)

Speedsterbeast

+1 For Glass. It's hard to scratch and can be used for cutting, laminating, masking, holdng coffee etc.

I actually didn't know that cutting mats had a lifespan so short. Iv'e never used or even seen one.

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
getting about 4-5 years life out of our cutting mats...

way easier on blades and I know I would really miss the grid if I no longer had it...

HulkSmash

we a massive cutting matt.
glass is nice, but you'll go through blades like mad...(No big deal)

A couple years ago, i saw this matt that was custom made. It was made out of Gasket Seal Rubber.... the stuff was AMAZING... it's pretty much the same stuff gym floors are made out of. The guy i was talking to said it lasts for years... but it's extremely expensive.. like $850 for 4'x24'

qmr55

We have a large formica topped table that is higher than a normal table which makes it easier to work on. Has had formica for awhile now and don't even notice much of a difference and we cut on it daily. And formica is cheap to replace when need be also. You can even lay new formica down over old formica to eliminate the process of removal. You can get sheets on craigslist or left over pieces and make a very cheap table if need be.

copythat

getting about 4-5 years life out of our cutting mats...

way easier on blades and I know I would really miss the grid if I no longer had it...

I've seen some recent videos on BS application & I've seen blue tops on the tables. Seems to me that the material slides better and makes for masking on to the table easier.

Sorry I should of said two years for cutting mats. One year per side. : )

njshorts

FWIW, we're getting 5-6 years out of rhino mats. Some of us are careful with em, some arent... still, they're not a bad option.

anotherdog

ditto getting 4-5 years hard use out of a mat, then flipping it over and working on the other side.
You must be using a router on yours. (I did actually ruin mine with a router).

JoshLoring

I use 3/16" tempered glass. Spend the extra for tempered and not regular glass. It's worth it and cuts nice and smooth with no slipping or scratches. Have had the same glass for 6 years without any problems.
Yes.. Blades will go faster. But snap away- Its well worth the cost of never replacing your table cutting surface.

cajunaviator

I use 4 x 8 sheets of white PVC. It's cheap and is easy on the blades. I stick it to my table with banner hem tape. When it's all cut up, I pull it off, chuck it and stick down a new sheet. It lasts about 6 to 8 months.