• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Would I benefit by puttting in a SSD drive in my five year old computer?

SignManiac

I have a Dell Precision T7400 Desktop server with a 1TB HDD as my C: drive along with four other 1TB drives for internal and external backups. I'm paranoid.

I'm considering cloning it with a 1TB SSD drive. Here is what I have in my box now. A new Samsung 1TB SSD runs $450. Everything on this computer runs okay for the most part.

Would buying a new computer with an I7 cpu make that much of a difference?

Attachments

• Dell Precision T7400.jpg
    Dell Precision T7400.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 176

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
By no means am I an expert, but it's my understanding that SSD drives are very beneficial as main drives (i.e., programs open faster, etc.) since the seek/read time is so accelerated compared to standard platter drives. I think that speed benefit is almost always worth it.

SignManiac

I understand the speed gains, which is one reason I'm considering the upgrade. Just wondering if my current system warrants the investment? Also, will the cloning process be a simple straight forward process with all the hardware aspects to consider?

synergy_jim

I swapped 2 300 gig ssd's into my 2007 mac pro. gains were not enough to justify the cost ( although it boots really fast ). newer computers take way better advantage of the ssd technology.

SignManiac

Thanks Jim. That's the info I'm trying to find out about. Boot time isn't a real issue since my machine is never turned but every couple of weeks for updates.

graphicwarning

I have a very old dell... I can't tell you how old exactly because I got it for free from someone... but I an going to guess maybe 8 to 10 years old... really not sure.

Needless to say... it is what most would consider it a dinosaur. I threw a SSD drive in it and win 7 ... I don't remember if it's 2Gb or 4Gb of memory... but the thing works like a charm after I put the drive in it. I use it as my RIP machine for Versaworks. I really noticed a significant increase in speed with the new drive. It's literally like a new machine.

However, I think for the price, you'd be better off to add a small SSD... something a little more reasonably priced to load your OS and software, and leave the old 1Tb drive in there to act as storage.

You could get a decent SSD for under $100 with maybe 250Gb of space... and still have all the storage space you did before.

For a $100 and few hours to load up all your software and test it out, it might just be worth it.

That's how I'd approach it. Then after all is said and done... if you don't feel you have any major improvements, you're only out a little time and $100 or so... and you could turn around an offload the drive for nearly the same price you paid for it.

Stormyj

Just another guy
I will tell you this. The machine will only be as fast as the slowest component. Kind of like the chain thing. In other words if the architecture of the computer is older, 5 years?, then you wouldn't really realize and increase in speed. Standard hard drives usually last the lifetime of the computer, and with the way your backing up, you shouldnt have a problem. Of course, now that I said that...

:banghead:

Dakotagrafx

was researching the same thing earlier this week (for newer computer though) and my concern is I see a lot of comments on drive failures around the 1 yr mark and solicited input from actual users - never got any to say they had good results for even 2 years - so still sitting on the fence here

CES020

I just bought a used mac mini that has a SSD and a HDD installed. The OS and all applications are on the SSD and all data gets stored on the HDD. I will say that is it BLAZINGLY fast on applications. It opens Photoshop CC in about 3 seconds. I mean opens, opens, like ready to use.

I'm so impressed, I'm ordering a SSD and HDD for my iMac today.

SignManiac

That's what I was planning on doing. OS and programs on the SSD. I have plenty of other drives for job files etc,

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I will tell you this. The machine will only be as fast as the slowest component. Kind of like the chain thing. In other words if the architecture of the computer is older, 5 years?, then you wouldn't really realize and increase in speed. Standard hard drives usually last the lifetime of the computer, and with the way your backing up, you shouldnt have a problem. Of course, now that I said that...

Ditto... I purchased a SSD for what I thought would be "lightning fast" backups of my HDD...only to find out that it was no faster due to the slower write speed of the HDD...doh!:banghead:

JB

SignManiac

So are you guys saying that my OS and associated software will not operate any faster on a SSD than a conventional HDD?

CES020

I don't think they are saying that, I think they are saying if you have cases where it's relying on the HDD or older hardware to do something (slow graphics card), then the SSD isn't going to make it all better.

I can't speak for your computer, but I do know the thing boots up and opens software REALLY fast. It's very responsive. I haven't done a lot of stuff that required it to interact with the HDD yet, but I'll put it through some paces this weekend and report back.

Techman

your machine will not run any faster than what the bus can deliver data.
The memory is not as fast either in an older machine.
SSD drives are much faster than the bus and memory in older machines.

Therefor save your cash and get a I7 intel with a SSD drive for OS and an 1 T drive for data. Then you will see a really nice speed improvement.

Then your graphics rendering time will fabulous..

OldPaint

i googled the dell t7400 and found this:
DELL PRECISION T7400 DUAL XEON X5450 QUAD CORE 3GHZ CPU'S 8GB MEM
if this is what you have with the QUAD CORE 3GHZ...........The Dell Precision™ T7400 is in a class of its own among Dell workstations. The T7400 climbs to new heights of scalability by supporting dual-graphics, Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, up to 64GB of 800MHz fully buffered DIMM memory with higher bandwidth quad-channel memory architecture, and up to two 64-bit quad core Intel® Xeon® processors. Memory scalability is up to 128GB1
with up to 12 MB cache and up to 1600 MHz dual independent front side busses, provide up to 12.8 GB bandwidth path for data between processors, memory and chipset.
BY ALL MEANS IT IS WORTH JUST ADDING THE SSD!!!!!!!!!
iam in the same boat right now. i have a 2.8 gig QUAD CORE 4 gb mem. and am going to get a small SSD.....load it with WIN 7, and the programs i use the most...........i got other drives in the IDE/SATA and an external drive.
the SSD will make that 3 gig machine run like an I7)))))
once you have a machine with a processor over 2 gigs........hard to see the added speed after that.
DO YOU HAVE THE DUAL GRAPHICS CARDS???? ........

for the guy that said this......"I will tell you this. The machine will only be as fast as the slowest component." and in most cases its the printer/plotter you are sending it to.......

SignManiac

Yes Joe, that is what I have in this box. At the time, about five years ago it was the cats meow. Just wondering if I7 4th gen cpu's are going to be that much faster? The dual graphics card I'm not certain of. I do have three monitors hooked up with room for one more.

Techman

the new I7 core machines are really that good. Yes from joe's post you have a good machine.. I have an older machine similiar to yours. I built two new i& machines and the speed difference is noticeable.

SignManiac

Damn, tough decision. So many things to spend money on???? Wish I didn't have a need for speed or new toys...