• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping a 50ft tall concrete silo. Anyone ever done something similar? Pricing and time?

FactorDesign

I'd want to start by putting my hands on the prints. I'm having a hard time believing anyone would think it a good idea to print that much self adhesive vinyl for what looks like an impossible job.
Maybe... just maybe... the client saw the words 'vinyl banner wrap' and shortened it to 'vinyl wrap'. Even if you could somehow manage to get vinyl to stick to that concrete, the resulting image would look terrible behind all those metal bars. A banner tensioned around the outside seems far more sensible, and while I personally wouldn't do that kind of install, I could imagine a skilled crew not having nearly as much trouble with banners. Still... stay safe!

White Haus

Not a Newbie
Any updates on this?

OP hasn't responded since Friday. Hopefully he's not up on lift right now struggling with those damn prints.

Personally I wouldn't touch this for ANY amount of money. I don't even like installing other people's graphics on flat walls.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
It's too bad the prints are already done. He could try to talk them into some co-op advertising and get someone like Durex or Trojan to print a big latex cover that he could just snap over the top and roll down to the bottom...

TimToad

What kind of shop runs that much square footage without a clear idea of how the end user is putting it on?

How do you even choose what material to put it on without considering what its going on and how?

Is the idea to somehow get the panels behind the rebar grid that covers the entire silo?

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
Weird that the shop that printed it doesn’t appear to be in the picture any more. Almost like they’re relinquishing all responsibility for some reason.. no idea why

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Weird that the shop that printed it doesn’t appear to be in the picture any more. Almost like they’re relinquishing all responsibility for some reason.. no idea why

Probably from a customer who knew what they wanted and ordered it and didn't want to answer any concerns from the sign shop.

TheSnowman

I'm with everyone else, I'd like to know how this ended up. I'm saying for sure ANYTHING else other than sticking it directly to it would be the way to go. If it's already printed, I'd have loved to been the guy that got that credit card and ran it before printing all of that.

TimToad

Yeah, this doesn't seem it would fall under a DYI online purchase type project that you'd casually order like some yard signs and then think about how to get it up there.

equippaint

I don't know.......... that seems like a pretty big oversight on somebody's part whose job might be hanging in the balance over something this big of a gaffe.
You may be surprised at some of the stupid stuff these companies do Often times there's a big disconnect in departments and you end up with things like this. It could be their standard issue for steel silos and it just got sent to them internally.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You may be surprised at some of the stupid stuff these companies do Often times there's a big disconnect in departments and you end up with things like this. It could be their standard issue for steel silos and it just got sent to them internally.
Yep, a few years ago we did some vehicles for the airport authority here.
In the bid they requested a digital directional traffic board for each of their two new vehicles (follow me for the planes).
One was a fully loaded SUV and they wanted the board removable so the supervisor could use the vehicle for "other" uses off the tarmac. We built a mount so that it could slipped into the receiver hitch and ended up leaving the board in the crate it came in. Due to the bid specs that board cost us over $6k. Their cost was a good deal higher. I'm betting it is still in that crate.

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I think it would be easier to find and hire Circus Monkeys than to wrap the silo. I still think this is a goof post because this is like telling your friend not the marry the stripper, you kind of know what the outcome is going to be.

"But she has a really nice personality..............!"

Johnny Best

poledancer.jpg