• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping a 50ft tall concrete silo. Anyone ever done something similar? Pricing and time?

TimToad

I'm with the Toad on this... even though hes sounding like Gino with this post...

Anyway, I'm curious too about the financial ins and outs of this endeavor so far

Ummm...... I don't read every member's posts. Sometimes when people with a lot of experience see something this glaring, they have similar responses.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Ummm...... I don't read every member's posts. Sometimes when people with a lot of experience see something this glaring, they have similar responses.

I didn't either.. I didn't know Gino posted before you. I just gave you a thumbs up and thought Gino took over your account. Doesn't matter who said it, when its right its right...even if it comes from the Toad

equippaint

Im a little confused at all of this now. You said that they canceled the job as you were en route but also said that another company took the job. Did I read something wrong?

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
What? Are you guys insane?

You bought plane tickets, travelled to the site, probably booked a hotel room and a storage unit without all of this being cast in stone? Or is it hardened concrete?

Wow! I'm sorry for being so harsh, but you two need to seriously work on your procurement/contract policies and get your heads together on how to work together before one of you has a heart attack or you both get killed on some job.

What? no. This job was supposed to be done long time ago. They shipped the material but there was a TON of drama going on in the background. Like people nearly losing jobs and shit. ( Not us...)
We were hired to go there and do something finally because some installers also accepted the job but quit on it. We got there because the company was really pushing for getting this done for the pissed off customer.
The company called us friday we were there the next day. Unfortunately the customer canceled the whole thing. Seemed like he had enough with all the BS.
We dropped off the materials in a storage unit because it's waaaaaay to much print just to trash especially since the guy might change his mind again. It was also cheaper to store it for a month then shipping it back.
There was a totally different company who said they will take care of it.... AND THIS JUST BACKED OUT! So guess who is there installing the graphics?:D Actually laying panels! LOL

CSOCSO

When we got there the owner of the farm / silo got pissed and said F* it. Since the company who hired us did not want to lose the project asked around if anyone could install it. Im sure we were not the only one giving them a quote. I guess another company told them a better price. Probably promised time frames and whatnot without seeing the silo and they got hired.

Maybe the company outplayed us and decided to tell us that the project is canceled so they could hire someone else cheaper to do it? Maybe. Who knows??
Funny thing is that the new installers backed out of it too. LOL. Perhaprs they realised that the time frame and price they gave out was way off.
My brother just flew back yesterday night and already installed some panels.

TimToad

When we got there the owner of the farm / silo got pissed and said F* it. Since the company who hired us did not want to lose the project asked around if anyone could install it. Im sure we were not the only one giving them a quote. I guess another company told them a better price. Probably promised time frames and whatnot without seeing the silo and they got hired.

Maybe the company outplayed us and decided to tell us that the project is canceled so they could hire someone else cheaper to do it? Maybe. Who knows??
Funny thing is that the new installers backed out of it too. LOL. Perhaprs they realised that the time frame and price they gave out was way off.
My brother just flew back yesterday night and already installed some panels.

Well, I have to hand it to you for your persistence. I really hope it works out for you, nobody gets hurt and you get paid.

The rest of it is just too weird, speculative and iffy for me to wrap my head around.

Good luck.

CSOCSO

I'm still royally lost in all this...

And Toad, I'm still waiting for your P&L..............
Not sure if im gonna be able to twll you any better than this: a big company was hired to do this job. They have installers basically in every state. Someone was hired by this company to do the install. Graphics was already printed. The installers quit on it. Did not want to do the job. There was a lot of drama and people at the big company were desperate to get this done butninheard it was misquoted and they did not want to pay as much for the installers. No one wanted to do it. We went there to start on it but we were told the owner of the silo is done qith it. He doesnt want anything. We left the materials in a self storage. Then somehow another group got hired. Then they backed out of it. Its back on us but im not able to do it so my partner ( my brother) is there and pretty much installed a quarter of it since wednesday.
Screenshot_2019-06-01-14-35-58.png

unclebun

I think he is going to feel (and regret) every one of the $12,000 they are paying him. At the rate he's going it'll take 16 days, assuming he encounters no more difficulty as he goes higher.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Wow... that looks good, but Id rather get run over by a truck then do that job... How is he getting behind the bars?

I was just confused about the $$. Did you fly out for free or did they pay you to come out and look at it? Hope you got a deposit.

CSOCSO

Wow... that looks good, but Id rather get run over by a truck then do that job... How is he getting behind the bars?

I was just confused about the $$. Did you fly out for free or did they pay you to come out and look at it? Hope you got a deposit.

I would rather not speak about exact amounts but we were paid for the 2 days we lost going out there. He is making good money now. More than they originally agreed on. I would rather get run over by a truck too but as much as he is getting now i will be honest; i wish i was out there working with him.

Johnny Best

Looks really good. What material is that and how is it sticking to the concrete. He must have a pile of vinyl panels, they must be all mark to keep up with that pattern.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Oh ok, well that answers my question...thought y'all went out there on spec.

Hes doing a good job and glad your getting more. That must be a pain in the ass to line up all the panels... my head is hurting just thinking about it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You coulda hired 2 or 3 graffiti artists and they'd have it all knocked out in about 10 hours..... all done at night. Be a lot cheaper, too...... and those guys don't need ladders or lifts. They're like frickin monkeys.

kcollinsdesign

Old member
I'm impressed. I've been doing this since the beginning of time, and I am 100% certain that (1.) the vinyl will not match up when the installer gets all the way around the silo and that (2.) the vinyl will not stick after a few rains. This looks like one of those temp jobs done for a movie production or ad campaign.

TimToad

I'm impressed. I've been doing this since the beginning of time, and I am 100% certain that (1.) the vinyl will not match up when the installer gets all the way around the silo and that (2.) the vinyl will not stick after a few rains. This looks like one of those temp jobs done for a movie production or ad campaign.

I was wondering why he didn't go all the way around on his install and maybe you're right on it being for an ad or commercial and thry only need a partial shot of it and longevity is not a concern. An amaxi g amount of money and resources expended for something like that fleeting.

I remember when they were filming the movie Wild Hogs in our community in New Mexico and the set decorators spent weeks sprucing up the run down gas station a 1/4 mile from our property. They paid the owners $35k for its use and the only scene used was about a minute long when the guys skipped getting gas and took off right past the sign that said "last gas for 200 miles".