• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping a 50ft tall concrete silo. Anyone ever done something similar? Pricing and time?

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
Sorry guys. Totally forgot to check back on this.
The install did not happen yet. Might not even happen. Customer is hesitant. This should have been done months ago but the other team quit on it before they even laid any panels on it. Yes; all material is printed already and shipped to location. As far as i know its printed on 3m ij480. We do not have to pay for the equipment. But we would have to pay for food and hotel and the flight. They will take care of the boomlift or whatever they need to get done. I have done a silo before but it was smooth surface. It was windy and the lift was wobbly and we were up high. very high. This looks like a nightmare and I don't really want to take it but my guy already said yes.. before he knew all the details. First he thought it was a quick 3 day job and we could make a few grand. lol.
he is still waaaay too optimistic. Whatever he thinks we would need twice as much manpower and twice as much time. If we are lucky the project stays scrapped.
Thanks for the input guys!

fresh

Sorry guys. Totally forgot to check back on this.
The install did not happen yet. Might not even happen. Customer is hesitant. This should have been done months ago but the other team quit on it before they even laid any panels on it. Yes; all material is printed already and shipped to location. As far as i know its printed on 3m ij480. We do not have to pay for the equipment. But we would have to pay for food and hotel and the flight. They will take care of the boomlift or whatever they need to get done. I have done a silo before but it was smooth surface. It was windy and the lift was wobbly and we were up high. very high. This looks like a nightmare and I don't really want to take it but my guy already said yes.. before he knew all the details. First he thought it was a quick 3 day job and we could make a few grand. lol.
he is still waaaay too optimistic. Whatever he thinks we would need twice as much manpower and twice as much time. If we are lucky the project stays scrapped.
Thanks for the input guys!

JUST SAY NO. Tell your partner you're not going to do it, end of story.

iPrintStuff

Prints stuff
I’d just tell them the already printed option isn’t viable for the price they want to pay/how much of a nightmare it would be and quote them for supply and install of banners. Keeps your partner happy and potentially gets you the work for a fraction of the effort.

kanini

There might be a reason the other team backed out... If you still are going to do it make sure to check the equipment the customer supplies, check everything including when it last had service, certification, safety equipment etc. etc. The loss of time and/or material will be nothing compared to if something happens while you're up there...

Also agree with the previous posts, back out now if possible. Thanks for updating though, interesting to hear the outcome of this so check back when you have any updates! ☺

kcollinsdesign

Old member
If that concrete silo is like any of the old concrete silos around here in Central Illinois, that vinyl will not stick. No way. Go out to the site and test it. I may be wrong, but I doubt it. You could sandblast it, tuck point, fill with high body primer and repaint it and my guess is it still wont work. The material is meant to breath, and hydrostatic pressure will just push the paint and vinyl off. That's why you never see those old conctrete silos painted.

CSOCSO

Someone else took the job. Hopefully they won't back out of it so we won't need to go out there again. whew... If i hear back anything I will let you guys know.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I like happy endings.

If it's not too far away, take a picture of it while the other guys are in the middle of it. That would be good to see how their appraoch would be.​

CSOCSO

I like happy endings.

If it's not too far away, take a picture of it while the other guys are in the middle of it. That would be good to see how their appraoch would be.​

I am in a different state. it costs us well over a thousand dollar to fly out,sleep there and fly back. ( they put a hold on the project as soon as we landed. did I tell you guys that? yeah. We flew out there. picked up the material. Owner canceled the job. We put a dozen boxes in a storage not too far and flew back the next day.)

TimToad

I am in a different state. it costs us well over a thousand dollar to fly out,sleep there and fly back. ( they put a hold on the project as soon as we landed. did I tell you guys that? yeah. We flew out there. picked up the material. Owner canceled the job. We put a dozen boxes in a storage not too far and flew back the next day.)

What? Are you guys insane?

You bought plane tickets, travelled to the site, probably booked a hotel room and a storage unit without all of this being cast in stone? Or is it hardened concrete?

Wow! I'm sorry for being so harsh, but you two need to seriously work on your procurement/contract policies and get your heads together on how to work together before one of you has a heart attack or you both get killed on some job.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
What? Are you guys insane?

You bought plane tickets, travelled to the site, probably booked a hotel room and a storage unit without all of this being cast in stone? Or is it hardened concrete?

Wow! I'm sorry for being so harsh, but you two need to seriously work on your procurement/contract policies and get your heads together on how to work together before one of you has a heart attack or you both get killed on some job.

I'm with the Toad on this... even though hes sounding like Gino with this post...

Anyway, I'm curious too about the financial ins and outs of this endeavor so far

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm with the Toad on this... even though hes sounding like Gino with this post...

Anyway, I'm curious too about the financial ins and outs of this endeavor so far

Hahahaaa.....that's exactly what I thought when I first read it. When the Hell did I write this ?? Good Grief........:doh: