• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Wrapping a 50ft tall concrete silo. Anyone ever done something similar? Pricing and time?

Corwin Steeves

Large format printer to the stars
There were a lot of runners on this thread and only one doer. :) Nice job man, looks killer.

Here's one I did that made everyone nervous too. It's a historical landmark, so I had to make sure that the vinyl would not damage the surface of the stone which added a little drama. o_O

Attachments

• Princes Gates.JPG
    Princes Gates.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 215

unclebun

I was wondering why he didn't go all the way around on his install and maybe you're right on it being for an ad or commercial and thry only need a partial shot of it and longevity is not a concern. An amaxi g amount of money and resources expended for something like that fleeting.

I remember when they were filming the movie Wild Hogs in our community in New Mexico and the set decorators spent weeks sprucing up the run down gas station a 1/4 mile from our property. They paid the owners $35k for its use and the only scene used was about a minute long when the guys skipped getting gas and took off right past the sign that said "last gas for 200 miles".

That's like a job we did when they filmed a reality show at an auction house here. They hired us to put a sign on the roof of the auction house, but they filmed the installation to look as if the employees of the auction house did it themselves. Middle of summer, cloudless 95 degree day. They had us show up on site at 6:30 am, so I thought the plan was to get it all up before it got too hot. But with the film crew and all the whole event took until 4 pm. They did feed us a catered KFC lunch. For all that, the film was used during the opening credits of the show, lasting maybe 10-15 seconds.

TimToad

That's like a job we did when they filmed a reality show at an auction house here. They hired us to put a sign on the roof of the auction house, but they filmed the installation to look as if the employees of the auction house did it themselves. Middle of summer, cloudless 95 degree day. They had us show up on site at 6:30 am, so I thought the plan was to get it all up before it got too hot. But with the film crew and all the whole event took until 4 pm. They did feed us a catered KFC lunch. For all that, the film was used during the opening credits of the show, lasting maybe 10-15 seconds.

Yup. the set decorators, film crew and cast were out there near our property for over a week and paid the gas station owners $35k to get one 60 second scene in a pretty mediocre film. I think they even rented a FEDex truck to pull away at just the right moment to reveal the "Last Gas 200 mile" sign. Film production is big money for states that are able to attract it and outbid other places for the business. New Mexico is neck deep in it and we have several old friends employed in it. One still has the area rug and coffee table from Walt's apartment from Breaking Bad after he moved back home and the apartment got phased out of the story.

That's why major release films cost what they cost.

We did get to meet a William H. Macy and John Travolta while they were hanging around between shooting all the takes. I'm sure it's grueling work to do take after take until the director and production people think they have enough decent material to cobble it all together into a scene.