• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Yo......... Canadians..................

MGraphics

Problem solved......

English and French are recognized by the Constitution of Canada as "official languages." This means that all laws of the federal government are enacted in both English and French and that federal government services must be available in both languages.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Problem solved......

English and French are recognized by the Constitution of Canada as "official languages." This means that all laws of the federal government are enacted in both English and French and that federal government services must be available in both languages.

Hardly a solution. More like an exercise in stupidity. A culture/society/civilization is pretty much defined by it's language. The easiest way to understand a culture is to understand its language. No particular language means no particular culture.

MGraphics

That was Gino's question......why is there french and english on everything...... answer... both languages are official.....

signrios

"integrate" "fit in" not when you are rejected because of your color or presumably for been here illegally.
or maybe we need to go back to the 40's 50's when elementary students here in south texas were paddled for speaking spanish.

or do as my cousin, she wont speak spanish to her toddlers,
speaking english only supposedly makes them smarter?

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Why are so many people from Spain moving to the US?
They are trying to get away from using that damn metric system...

Interesting discussion going on.
We have a similar issue here.
There are two official languages, English and the native Chamorro.
Official documents have to be in both and school children are required to take a Chamorro language class from elementary to high school as part of a program to protect & promote the culture.
Not sure what to think.
On one hand is the respect for the indigenous culture.
On the other is the limited resources of the local school system and the thought that the time could be better spent learning a skill that would help my kids compete in this global job market that gets seemingly worse every day.

wayne k
guam usa

signmeup

The part about preserving the culture is nice and all but if the culture (not naming any particular culture here) is so great why does it need help. Shouldn't it sustain itself on it's own merit? I think artificial support of cultures is doomed to eventually fail. My guess is that this is why we don't speak Latin.

Baz

A country should preserve it's language and culture and still welcome newcomers to join them and help them advance and prosper. Not join them and change things to suit themselves and at the same time take advantage of all the benefits and freedoms the host country has to offer at the expense of the existing taxpayers. Im my book these people are called freeloaders and should be expelled as soon as possible.

My opinion in regards to Canada still remains that if you come here and do not speak any of our official languages you should be forced to take basic language courses in order to be able to apply for citizenship. Be it in english or in Quebec's case ... french.

Our official binligualism is a result of royal commisions to study the matter and give recommendations to better serve it's population. I wont quote anything i have just read on Wikipidia since i don't want to hog this thread but if anyone is curious http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Official_bilingualism_in_Canada is an interesting read.

As stated our biligualism is for two populations that have already been here for a long time. In the United States case this is resulting from an ever groing influx of spanish speaking people that are now demanding rights and freedoms that have been so hardly fought and won for by not only english speaking people but people from all over the world who have decided to join together. The United States should declare english as it's official language if only to protect the basic fabric of it's heritage. It will only get worse as time goes on if they do not. Here is another interesting read about the spanish language in the US http://www.strictlyspanish.com/whitepaper2.htm.

Andy: You damn right the french are pissy about protecting their language and why shouldn't they. I'd bet if you were in a same situation you would be no different. Also do a search on Canada's Royal 22nd regiment the Van Doos. You might learn something.

Bob: Your arrogance and ignorance are of equal greatness.

signmeup

Good post Baz. The thing that bothers us non-French heritage people is this line from your link " At the provincial level, New Brunswick is the only official bilingual province and only Quebec is officially unilingual (French only)." That falls under "how the heck is that fair" for me. We also took a dim view of the "bad apples" who attempted to break up the country and have a Sovereign Quebec. I realize they are a minority and that Quebecers voted against it but geez eh?