• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Yo......... Canadians..................

signmeup

You realize this entire exchange took place in English, right? It's me who's been accommodating you.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a practical example of the kind of juvenile pot-shots that this whole mess creates on a constant basis.

I'm out of here. Don't feel like losing my mind over a couple of bad apples.

:Canada 2:
Twaddle. If you want to communicate with a large group of people you have to "speak their language".

signswi

This is totally NHB but why is it that the "right wing" is pro Free Market but get all mad when the market starts selling and accommodating to the spanish speaking populace? Isn't that just good business and free market demand and self regulation? Wouldn't a national language just be more "Big Gub'ment"?

:wavingflag:

Marlene

So you're arguing the case of "manners" for bilingual labels/signs/general reading material? This isn't about being courteous -

I do believe it is all about manners and thinking of others. if people were more civil to each other, we wouldn't need laws forcing us to be.

signmeup

Leaving the whole language thing aside, Canada, or at least Québec is dealing with another issue we call "Reasonable Accomadation". And that another can of worm wich I don't want to open right now 'cause definitively this will get move to NHB.

"Reasonable Accomodation" is about making concession to other incoming cultures.

---Had a whole paragraph written here, but I removed it, too sensative subject---
I think the rest of Canada already has "Reasonable Accommodation". Quebec just needs to catch up a little.

Joe Diaz

I don't know much about the Canadian part. But I wonder... You often here things like "they refuse to learn our language". But do you think that's the case? I mean wouldn't relocating to a different land and not knowing the native language put you at a disadvantage? Even with bilingual signs, it would have to be difficult to function in a country not knowing the primary language.

I mean I'm just asking here. So do you think they don't learn the primary language because they don't want to? Or is it the same reason why many of us don't learn other languages? because it's not exactly easy, especially if you don't learn to be bilingual at a younger age.

CanuckSigns

I don't know much about the Canadian part. But I wonder... You often here things like "they refuse to learn our language". But do you think that's the case? I mean wouldn't relocating to a different land and not knowing the native language put you at a disadvantage? Even with bilingual signs, it would have to be difficult to function in a country not knowing the primary language.

I mean I'm just asking here. So do you think they don't learn the primary language because they don't want to? Or is it the same reason why many of us don't learn other languages? because it's not exactly easy, especially if you don't learn to be bilingual at a younger age.

I think the reason most of us (north americans) don't learn another language is because we don't have to, we are not exposed to anything except english 99.99% of the time. If you go somewhere like europe where there are so many different languages in such a small area, you are forced to learn multiple languages. My wife is English and she is fluent in English, German, French and Polish.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Joey......

I'm not sure how anyone can describe it, but don't you think if you were going to move to another country with your family, you might take some lessons or courses or even get a CD that helps you learn the language of your new country of choice ?? Most people that go on a vacation to Italy, Germany or China will usually try to learn some key words or phrases. It only makes sense to prepare.

In Canada..... two basic groups clashed around the same time and both languages are still surviving today, same as us here the US. I don't think there was... or is a bigger melting pot than here, especially from the 1700's throughout until the early 1900's. However, since English as we know it was dominant, that became everyone's second language until the next generation which would always adapt English as their native or first language. During the 60's, 70's and into the 90's there was a huge increase in Oriental people in our country. They might have accents, but they all tried to learn our language. They opened businesses which were based American needs and not only their own. They tried to fit in. They will keep to their own and have their own little Chinatown or other communities where they still feel a little of the old homeland, but it's not the same for the most recent increase of Spanish people.

I have nothing against the Spanish and frequent Latin clubs quite a bit. We have many Spanish customers and many of our closet friends are Spanish. Sure I could classify them all as friends or customers and not put the Spanish part in, but to get a point across, that is necessary.

Our city is 68% Spanish [recorded] which is up from 37% in 2001.... which from the time I was a kid.... there were hardly any around at all..... anywhere. To me, they are not trying to fit in and learn our culture, language or even our heritage. They want their own flags waving.... above ours and live and habitat the way they would if they were back in their old country. In my nearly 60 years here, I've never seen a group do this and be so indignant about it. In my nearly 60 years here, I've never heard anyone else speak about any other group as they do presently.

This is precisely why I started this out here on the open forums and figured it could stay off the NHB. Once it goes there.... the swearing, prejudices and stupid crap starts up and we can't finish anything without creeping each other out. I'm trying to keep it a conversation and above board discussion about something that is happening to our nation and no one sees what's quickly happening.

Joe Diaz

Joey......

I'm not sure how anyone can describe it, but don't you think if you were going to move to another country with your family, you might take some lessons or courses or even get a CD that helps you learn the language of your new country of choice ??

Genie...

Since I'm not impoverished, and could afford to go on vacations or take the time away from work to learn a second language, Yes I would or could. But I imagine if I weren't and I were struggling just to survive or provide for a struggling family, it would be more difficult. So yes it makes perfect sense to learn another language if you were planning on living here. So that it why it doesn't make sense that people would choose not to learn English, out of some sort of sign of disrespect. There has to be more to it than just that.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Genie...

Since I'm not impoverished, and could afford to go on vacations or take the time away from work to learn a second language, Yes I would or could. But I imagine if I weren't and I were struggling just to survive or provide for a struggling family, it would be more difficult. So yes it makes perfect sense to learn another language if you were planning on living here.
So that it why it doesn't make sense that people would choose not to learn English, out of some sort of sign of disrespect. There has to be more to it than just that.

Exactly, they simply don't care. They choose not to fit in. No one is demanding or even asking them to come here. It's their choice to leave whatever it is they are leaving behind... and if they are indeed trying to improve their struggling life by not fitting in or at least learning a few things here or there.... why must we cave in to their measly demands ?? Why do we cater to the minority and make the majority suffer. By suffering, I mean littering our towns with needless signs and directions that we pay for and they don't.

When my wife's grandmother moved here from Russia at age 21, in 1902, she took on all kinds of jobs and slowly learned the language. She had some funny made up American/Russian words like moostrict for mustard, garduickt for garret/attic and many others, but we understood her. She was heavily accented, but she fit in completely. She, like so many other immigrants over the last two hundred years or so.... just wanted to come to America and reap it's rewards through the system. Now, we have whole communities moving in.... not to better themselves, but to take over and instead of struggling, they are forcing their ways by taking advantage of United States' view of being Politically Correct.

There's no race card intentions here or prejudices being voiced here.... just a question as to why the norm becomes the abnorm and the abnorm becomes the norm ??

Last edited:

signage

Gino because we think everyone need to go to college and a lot of the professors are foreign and they have brain washed the young ones and they are now making the rules!

Joe Diaz

Gino because we think everyone need to go to college and a lot of the professors are foreign and they have brain washed the young ones and they are now making the rules!

:Big Laugh I don't remember too many French Canadian professors... :Big Laugh

Baz

The French LOVE Jerry Lewis! They also love Elvis and Wrestling!

Seriously though ... I hate this politically correct chit. Force them to learn english. In Quebec ... Sorry but force them to learn french. It's all about protecting our heritage. And right now in Toronto there is a big fuss in regards to Muslims being able to have prayer services in publicly funded schools. In Canada religion is out of public schools.

WrapperX

However - I'm still not seeing the answer to Gino's Question: How did/do the Canadians come to the agreement that French and English would be displayed equally - OR did we miss the point that there is still the debate on which language is the Premiere Language?

signmeup

The French LOVE Jerry Lewis! They also love Elvis and Wrestling!

Seriously though ... I hate this politically correct chit. Force them to learn english. In Quebec ... Sorry but force them to learn french. It's all about protecting our heritage. And right now in Toronto there is a big fuss in regards to Muslims being able to have prayer services in publicly funded schools. In Canada religion is out of public schools.
How about we don't force anybody to do anything? (language wise) We let the need dictate the practice.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.

As my dear old dad was wont to say: "I never met anyone who couldn't tell me how much money I owed him in my language." Motivation.

andy

If you lived next door to some one who had spent 500 years alternatively kicking your @rse and the saving that same @rse from the neighbours on the other side you'd be a bit touchie too. :ROFLMAO:

The French are hilariously pi$$y about their language... speaking English is a reminder that in every fight they've ever started we've either given them a reet good spanking or they've had to ask us to spank the Germans on their behalf.

The day the Frenchies send combat troops down to Helmand to help out the British Army and the US marines is the day I buy a French phase book.