• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Yo......... Canadians..................

Zazzess

I think our problem in the lower 48 and probably the entire 50 States is that we've become a society where we MUST accomadate others. If we don't we are considered to be offensive or racist or some other from of predejudice stigma. If we require all citzens to at least speak English we are intollerant of other cultures. We have become a countyr OBSESSED with Political Correctness to the point where you can't hardly have a differing opinion with out the ACLU getting involved.

Personally as an American born citizen who only speaks English, I personally find it offensive that I have to read other languages on a package of whatever. If I moved to Italy or Germany or where ever, it would be the right thing to do to learn the native language - especially if I was going to be there for a extended period of time. I wouldn't expect the country to start posting English signs just because I live there and can't speak the native tongue. But for reason of our own doing, we can't expect that from others.

I wonder why ?? It seems simple right ?
But it's not like that...
I don't want to be mean ... I must be really ignorant to ask that question but... Is it because people can't afford to both move in america and learn english ? or french depending where they move ??

Zazzess

Well... thinking about it... I can't be so general about it ...
It must not be the money... or just that...

WrapperX

I don't think it's a money thing. Afterall our schools teach English but I think it's more a civil rights sort of thing. If we "force" other people to do something, people seem to think it's an infringment on their civil rights. Or at least thats what it seems to be to me.
As for the labeling and packagin - well thats business. They don't print dual sided labels (English/Spanish) because they want to tollerant - they do that so they can get the Hispanic people to buy that product. BUT that leads them to feel like they don't have to learn English. If businesses and government are speaking their language why bother to learn English.

Marlene

Personally as an American born citizen who only speaks English, I personally find it offensive that I have to read other languages on a package of whatever.

wow, offensive? really? or just a pain trying to flip around to something you can understand?

I think our problem in the lower 48 and probably the entire 50 States is that we've become a society where we MUST accomadate others

I see it just the other way around as I see no reason not to include people when possible. when I pick up a bottle of dish liquid at my local store, it's nice that is also is written in French. it's no problem to have that as we are close to Quebec and there are a ton of folks who come down that appreciate the fact that we do that. what I wish is that the same courtsey would be extended when I go up there. exclusion rots, plain and simple no matter who is doing it.

CanuckSigns

funny story, I have a friend who owns a store that sells food from England (english chocolates, sweets, canned goods etc.) He has been told he has to make up stickers in french to go on the products because they are imported directly form the UK with no french on the packaging. somehow I doubt if the store was selling products from France he would be forced to print english labels, i know Asian supermarkets are not required to do so.

WrapperX

Yeah - you're right, probably not offensive but it is a pain and an anoyance to have to find the label that I can read.

I don't know - I guess I still follow the old saying "when in Rome" but for some reason people have gained a sense of entitlement that the world should revolve around them and that everything should be catered to them. The reality is that it doesn't and that we shouldn't expect a town or state or country to do so.

Marlene

Yeah - you're right, probably not offensive but it is a pain and an anoyance to have to find the label that I can read.

I don't know - I guess I still follow the old saying "when in Rome" but for some reason people have gained a sense of entitlement that the world should revolve around them and that everything should be catered to them. The reality is that it doesn't and that we shouldn't expect a town or state or country to do so.

I get the ticked off about entitlement as that too is a pain. I guess it comes down to old fashion manners and it just seems like good manners to include others when possible. it's when they demand it that it becomes something else entirely.

WrapperX

So you're arguing the case of "manners" for bilingual labels/signs/general reading material? This isn't about being courteous - When I leave this country I leave behind what I know - I should embrace the way things are done in another country and not expect them to be courteous to me because of whatever reason. Courtesy is kindly opening a door for someone, helping them when they seem to be in need of help, inviting a person over for dinner if they are new to the area.

And I can promise you this - businesses and corporations aren't labeling their packages in bilingual print to be courteous! They do that to get the profits - they figure people who speak French are gonna buy our product cause we have labeled it in French vs. the comparable product that is only labeled in one language. That's their the motivation - and on a business front that makes sense. It's clearly working for them otherwise they wouldn't be continuing to do so. BUT the issue is when a person of a different origin moves to a new country where their native language is not spoken and then refuses - for whatever reason - to learn the local language.

I don't think Canada ever really dealt with the English/French barrier - as a whole that is. And especially not like America is dealing with it now. They, Canada, have always just spoken both. BUT America didn't deal with that. Most of our ancestors left their homes to come to America - it is recorded that they left their homes and they learned the new language to fit in. Many of them changed their names to be MORE American and gave up their foriegn allegances.....somewhere along the lines modern citizens have not done that. And not only that - but they feel entitled to the fact that everyone else should now cater to their special needs - and most do, for fear of being labled Prejudiced not out of courtesy or good manners.

WrapperX

So are watching cartoons on television.

This is true - it would be like watching Sesame Street when we were childeren. They are designed to teach the language of that culture as well as be entertaining to childeren. But the practice of repetition, and basic lingual knowledge that they use is a very good way to learn the basics of any new language.

signmeup

29 million of us extend the courtesy of having French labels on everything to accommodate 6 million Quebecers. It's not that big a deal...

genericname

I don't think Canada ever really dealt with the English/French barrier - as a whole that is. And especially not like America is dealing with it now. They, Canada, have always just spoken both. BUT America didn't deal with that. Most of our ancestors left their homes to come to America - it is recorded that they left their homes and they learned the new language to fit in.

Actually, we're a nation of immigrants too, so most of our ancestors spoke another language as well, and while they have pockets of homogenized communities, they and their children usually get assimilated into the English/French duality, though it's not rare for them to retain their original language.

Chinese (can't remember if it's Cantonese or Mandarin) is the third most spoken language in Canada, with Italian in fourth, and Arabic gaining huge ground (it's the third most spoken language here, in Ottawa).

Also, it may seem like we haven't directly dealt with it, but that's because it's a daily ordeal. When the English took over the colony, one of the first things they did was deport a huge amount of Acadians, giving birth, as it were, to New Orleans. It may have been the most literal aggression in our history, but our progress has been anything but smooth since. There is an underlying sense of tension in many bilingual communities, and those that are largely uni-lingual can harbor the most venomous ignorance towards one another. We're human, in the end.

It seems ridiculous to me though, to be angry with eachother over something that happened ages ago, between people we may not even be related to. The only thing worth fighting against, as I see it, is the attitude that ancient history should dictate who we get along with.

genericname

29 million of us extend the courtesy of having French labels on everything to accommodate 6 million Quebecers. It's not that big a deal...

You're forgetting about Ontario, along with large pockets in Manitoba and Alberta. Being in the majority doesn't mean you get the whole pie. That's democracy.

signmeup

You're forgetting about Ontario, along with large pockets in Manitoba and Alberta. Being in the majority doesn't mean you get the whole pie. That's democracy.
There's even a few in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia... did you forget?

Being in the minority doesn't get you the whole pie either. Oh wait...

SebastienL

Leaving the whole language thing aside, Canada, or at least Québec is dealing with another issue we call "Reasonable Accomadation". And that another can of worm wich I don't want to open right now 'cause definitively this will get move to NHB.

"Reasonable Accomodation" is about making concession to other incoming cultures.

---Had a whole paragraph written here, but I removed it, too sensative subject---

genericname

There's even a few in New Brunswick and Nova Scotia... did you forget?

Being in the minority doesn't get you the whole pie either. Oh wait...

You realize this entire exchange took place in English, right? It's me who's been accommodating you.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is a practical example of the kind of juvenile pot-shots that this whole mess creates on a constant basis.

I'm out of here. Don't feel like losing my mind over a couple of bad apples.

:Canada 2:

signmeup

Leaving the whole language thing aside, Canada, or at least Québec is dealing with another issue we call "Reasonable Accomadation". And that another can of worm wich I don't want to open right now 'cause definitively this will get move to NHB.

"Reasonable Accomodation" is about making concession to other incoming cultures.

---Had a whole paragraph written here, but I removed it, too sensative subject---
Going over like a lead balloon eh? Shoe on the other foot...