• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

$15 bucks.......................... wha....................

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiser

I don't buy that one. employees are what can make or break a business so they are important and deserve to be treated as such. ever get bad service at a company and never go back? it usually boils down to one employee that can make or break it for you, not the entire upper tier of the company. the lowly burger flipper will be the only person you ever meet at a McDonalds as you never will meet the "important" people asking if you want fries with that. they are important as they are the face of your company that the public sees, reacts to and will decide if they want to do business with you or not. so, yes, they do deserve to be paid what they are worth.

Essentially employees do basically seal any companys fate, whether it goes up or goes down. My boss has a knack for choosing staff wisely and he pays us all slightly above average which is good enough for most, but there are some who aren't satisfied enough and rant that they dont get paid what they deserve. Do they deserve more? His take on it(and we've had this talk): "If they show me they deserve it, of-course they do"
My take on it. Yes, they do, but I very much doubt they'll be satisfied with it. We always end up wanting more.

SignManiac

It's funny but I drive past a fast food establishment everyday on the way home from work. And almost all the time I see workers outside smoking $12 a pack cigarettes out the back door on their breaks. I guess they're not doing too bad at $8.00 bucks an hour if they can afford a $12.00 a day habit.

Marlene

It's funny but I drive past a fast food establishment everyday on the way home from work. And almost all the time I see workers outside smoking $12 a pack cigarettes out the back door on their breaks. I guess they're not doing too bad at $8.00 bucks an hour if they can afford a $12.00 a day habit.

that's pretty judgmental. again the only reason why the wages are $8 bucks is the employee is of no value to the company which isn't true as without them, they would have no company or business. the employee an important part of a company and there is no good reasonwhy they aren't paid a decent wage. glad to see most of you think so little of the people who do these jobs. I give up, have a great day

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
people will pay more for what they want. cigarettes are up over $12 a pack and still those who want them will pay for it.

I don't buy that one. employees are what can make or break a business so they are important and deserve to be treated as such. ever get bad service at a company and never go back? it usually boils down to one employee that can make or break it for you, not the entire upper tier of the company. the lowly burger flipper will be the only person you ever meet at a McDonalds as you never will meet the "important" people asking if you want fries with that. they are important as they are the face of your company that the public sees, reacts to and will decide if they want to do business with you or not. so, yes, they do deserve to be paid what they are worth.

The point, which seems to scoot right by you, is that they are being paid what they are worth. It's the exclusive province of the employer to determine what any particular employee is worth. It has absolutely nothing to do with what the employee thinks they're worth. The decision for the employer reduces to how much revenue will this employee generate and/or sustain vice how much will it be paid. That's all there is.

Employees are fungible. They are interchangeable. The lower the level of the employee the more replaceable it is. One time, way back when I was a corporate warrior, a sage executive, actually one of the founders of the company, said to me "If you think you're indispensable, stick your finger into a bucket of water, pull it out and see what kind of hole you leave."

You can replace one burger flipper with another in mid-stroke and no one will notice any difference and it certainly will not alter the course of history. Employees exist at the sufferance of the employer. Employees, as an abstract collective, might well make or break a company, but no individual employee, or even a set of individual employees, has that power.

Techman

Its employees exist to support the business.

Absolutely wrong. The only reason a worker is there is because the business created a position for that worker to fill. The instant that worker costs more than he produces is the instant he will be unemployed.

gnemmas

These "panperors" are at it again!

They've never operate a business. You move up the entry level wage, it is like moving up the starting line of a race, the slower guys are still behind the faster guys.

All it does is pushing whole wage structure up: entry lever - $8 increase to $15, supervisor - $12 to $20, manager - $18 to $25...etc.

For a business, not only the wage expense goes up $50%, due to ripple effect, cost of goods will increase 50% as the suppliers have the same increase of their wage expense, and so forth, and so on...

Business' will adjust by either cut labor cost by reducing hours or lay off workers, or raise prices of our goods & service, or do both.

The result is inflation. You think $15 is living wage now, it won't be then, because all food, shelter and transportation cost would've increased.

They just pretend doing good for those people to gain vote.

GWSigns

"If you think you're indispensable, stick your finger into a bucket of water, pull it out and see what kind of hole you leave."

:thumb:

TheSnowman

If you don't like the show, change the channel. I worked at walmart like 4 months in high school, hated it, and started looking for other opportunities. Worked a few different jobs the next couple years, and eventually a sign shop was for sale, I took a risk, got a loan, and now I'm in business, and surviving pretty well. No risk, no reward. We, as people seem to forget that a lot of people have sacrificed and put in the hours to get themselves to where they are today.

This generation (and I'm only 30, so it's my generation too) has been duped by hollywood and the government to think that if you just do nothing, someone else will take care of you. Why in the world would you be trying to further yourself if someone was holding your hand the entire way through life?

I think it sucks that people do have to work there full time, because those aren't full time jobs...they're just "extra money" jobs. The people that are there though, do have my respect for doing SOMETHING and not taking a hand out. The quality of workers has gone up in the past 10 years in the fast food places. Does that mean that they are "entitled" to $15/hr? HECK NO. No one is entitled to ANYTHING. You get a job, and you work for whatever you agreed to. If you don't like it, you can go somewhere else. You don't just sit around and whine and complain when no one is forcing you you be there.

threeputt

Regarding jobs being shipped overseas, etc. consider this. No company exists in a vacuum. If Addidas decides to "take the high road" and only produce their shoes here in America with American labor, then so be it. But....their shoes will ultimately sit on a shelf (for sale) next to the Nike shoes which are manufactured overseas for far less.

They will either sell or not, depending on the fickle nature of the consumer. (you know who you are) Every "buy American" zealot is missing out on some important data. We are
in a GLOBAL MARKETPLACE. (The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman) We all like our Arrow shirts or $16.00. Will you really pay $85.00 for that same shirt?

Chriswagner92

ok so these posts are too long so forgive me if i say something that has already been said.

$15 an hour is ridiculous. I was watching the news the other day and no crap the news reporter said " I talked to one woman earlier today who said she didn't even have her GED and that McDonald's was all that she could do." If your not happy with where you ended up because you dropped out of high school and didn't get any sort of education then change it. Idk what my point to that was supposed to be but it just pissed me off.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Now we're hitting home.

Okay, so I don't know what this stuff costs, but I do believe it's fair to say, a big burger with cheese and stuff is basically the same price at all the places and if you google that, it's around $4.00 a pop. So a family of Pop, Mom, Suzie, Johnny and Jerry go to _ _ _ _ Fast Food junk store USofA. They used to spend around $ 25 or so. I could be low.... I could be high, but just play along. Now, those same people go in, whose wages by the way, weren't affected by any increases are going to pay about $5 or $6 more for the exact same thing, made by the exact same people. How is that fair ?? Telling them to eat somewhere else or go home is exactly what we said about the employees demanding more money for nothing.... just out of being obstinate. So what came first.... the chicken or the egg..... or the junk burger ??

Does this mean waiters and waitresses are gonna get a pay raise ?? They literally make nothing at this point. They rely on tips. If ya boost their wages, no one will lever leave a tip anymore, huh ?? 25% if the service was good..... 20% if it was so-so ?? Yeah right..... now they're gonna get a flat rate tip, like when ya get a cup of coffee. One dinero.

S11930

im my opinion its a quality of life issue

unfortunately we live in a 9-5 mon-fri society. i've heard it said go to school get and education if you want to get ahead. But i've also heard it said that if you have a dream, set goals and strive to achieve that there is no limit. $15 or $7 an hour doesn't sound like a lot and its not, but if you are only working one job for 8hrs consider getting a second job. It is also said you make a living 9-5 you make a future from 5-9. What are they doing to improve their future? Another point take your pay check as an owner divide it by the number of hours we work, days off we don't take and the number of people that depend on us and $7 and hour sounds pretty good.

threeputt

People, people, people. Some jobs pay more than others, agreed? Did you ever stop to ask yourself why? What dictates how much any given job pays?

Try this one on. Supply and demand.

There are far fewer people qualified in neuro surgery, than there are people who can flip burgers. There are far fewer people with the football skills of a Tom Brady than your average weekend warrior.

No company is going to pay more for labor than its worth. Do any of you routinely and willingly pay more than you have to for products. Simple.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You don't think there's a connection between poverty and crime?

While poverty plays a part in certain kindsa crime, there are a lot more crimes being committed by all groups from extortion to political gains, to drug wars.... with drug wars and/or gangs being the top of the list in my opinion.

While people from the projects, ghettos and other low income areas don't have much, they don't go around shooting and robbing on an everyday note. That's more or less a misunderstanding among just not our people in our country, but foreigners as yourself. Ya see..... politicians, gang members and drug lords prey on impressionable minds and while they have little family time under their belts, they wave that little flag of opportunity under their nose and feed them full of nonsense of how cool it is to take, what's not yours. Robin Hood did it, so why not you ?? Anyway, education and family unity is what plays the biggest roles in keeping these kids off the streets.... and guns and drugs out of their hands and up their noses or in their arms. Once they're hooked on that stuff, they have a life expectancy of about age 24 or 25. Thus, many fatherless families begin all over again, which starts the domino effect all over. And THAT is what these leeches count on. Members, whether if be in your political camp or your drug gang or 'wit yo homies'.

Others. like myself need the weapons because it has actually gotten a lot like the Old West.... at least in many places. You're confronted by some punk [ or a gang of punks] who are being initiated into the clan and he/they have to at least point a gun and shoot it to make colors. It senseless, but it's something whcih is taking place regardless of what kinda spin ya wanna put on it.

See, that's the other side of it. Hear me out or not, but that does not make it alright to demand double your pay scale/wage just because you want more money for what............ ?? Nothing remotely close to a fair wage for living conditions. They just wanna buy more junk. There might be a few of them lost in that fubar, but the smart ones get out quickly and find their way into society and the workplace without a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.