• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Apple has reported Steve Jobs has died

Kyle Blue

I don't own or like Macs or Apple as a company.

I can say though Steve Jobs was one Hell of a Damn Fine Capitalist. You will be remembered for the finest marketing of overpriced electronics ever Steve. RIP!:rock-n-roll:

I don't find them overpriced and I don't think what you said is an appropriate remark in a thread like this.

We are doing rush job tonight for our friends at Show Media. 1000 units in memory of SJ..

500 cabs in NYC will have these taxi tops tomorrow...

Attachments

• SMSJprint.jpg
    SMSJprint.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 86
  • SMSJcut.jpg
    SMSJcut.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 112
  • SMSJfinal.jpg
    SMSJfinal.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 93

Rodi

It is never a good thing when someone like this passes. Jobs was a genius on many fronts. I do think though, that it is important to remember that while his legacy includes devices and practices that have totally changed our culture, we must also recognize that this man was truly one of the biggest a-holes in history.

Employees at Apple in the early days were afraid to speak to him in the elevator because he was known for firing up to 10 people/day on the spot, just because he was annoyed with other things when they dared to speak to him.

He lied to and stole from his original business partner, Steve Wozniak. He stole technology and intellectual property from his original employers at Atari.

Jobs was brilliant with a capital "B". He was a visionary. He succeeded in changing the world.

I just wander what his impact would have been like if he had done it with kindness and integrity rather than with malice and a cut-throat mentality....

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Steve Jobs may not meet your standard, but I doubt, given his circumstances, you would either, and it is highly unlikely that most any would be as brilliant as he was.

Macs were great when PCs crashed and sucked, sure they may have been slower, yet it did not matter all that much.

Now PCs are as good as Macs (I love my old dell workstation) and color, power and fonts are reliable, but Windows stole far more from Apple than Jobs did from his friend.

MichaelL

It is never a good thing when someone like this passes. Jobs was a genius on many fronts. I do think though, that it is important to remember that while his legacy includes devices and practices that have totally changed our culture, we must also recognize that this man was truly one of the biggest a-holes in history.

Employees at Apple in the early days were afraid to speak to him in the elevator because he was known for firing up to 10 people/day on the spot, just because he was annoyed with other things when they dared to speak to him.

He lied to and stole from his original business partner, Steve Wozniak. He stole technology and intellectual property from his original employers at Atari.

Jobs was brilliant with a capital "B". He was a visionary. He succeeded in changing the world.

I just wander what his impact would have been like if he had done it with kindness and integrity rather than with malice and a cut-throat mentality....

You probably would have never heard of him. The personality it takes for greatness in the business world is one that is always looking for an advantage. Woz forgave Jobs I'm sure we can.

"Bill Gates plotted to grab Microsoft shares from his cancer-stricken business partner Paul Allen, the software firm's co-founder has claimed in a new memoir. Painting a unfavorable view of Gates and his rise to the pinnacle of global business, Allen details Gates’ 1982 scheme to “rip me off,” just as Microsoft was becoming a computing powerhouse with its MS-DOS system. In an excerpt from his new memoir “Idea Man”, published on Wednesday by Vanity Fair magazine, Allen describes Gates, the world’s second richest man with a $56 billion fortune, as brilliant but a schemer from early days to control their firm."

If you saw The Social Network you saw how many were screwed over by Mark Zuckerberg.

It's the double edge sword of their personality that drives them.

I personally am proud to say I worked for Apple Computer under Steve Jobs.
His death is a loss unfelt since John Lennon died. I believe it's the loss of what might have been. I donated to pancan.org in Steve's name yesterday. It was the least I could do. RIP Steve.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Not sure if anyone was aware but this panning shot of the audience showed a reserved seat at the keynote. The day before his passing I did not even notice it. It was shown more than once

Attachments

• Screen shot 2011-10-06 at 11.31.49 PM.png
    Screen shot 2011-10-06 at 11.31.49 PM.png
    549.9 KB · Views: 103

Tim Aucoin

Let he who is without sin cast the first stone.

Steve Jobs may not meet your standard, but I doubt, given his circumstances, you would either, and it is highly unlikely that most any would be as brilliant as he was.

Macs were great when PCs crashed and sucked, sure they may have been slower, yet it did not matter all that much.

Now PCs are as good as Macs (I love my old dell workstation) and color, power and fonts are reliable, but Windows stole far more from Apple than Jobs did from his friend.

:goodpost:

SignosaurusRex

While I've never been much of a fan or user of Apple products......nor Steve Jobs himself, I admire the mans Savvy, Tenacity, Foresight and Philosophy.

Here's to ya Steve............:toasting: R.I.P.
You wanted to "Put a ding in the world".
I'd say you ...."Put a dent in the universe"!

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I knew both Jobs and Wozniak way back when. I worked at HP with Wozniak at the Cupertino facility.

Jobs was one hell of a salesman and the complete butt-hole that has been previously noted. When they started Apple and they offered me a job, my wife said that one shouldn't work for any company named after a fruit. I tended to agree.

At the time we felt that a whimsical name was indicative of their seriousness did not bode well. Moreover everyone and their dog was making their version pf a PC, the odds were against them.

The fact is that their computers were never mainstream, they infested the market by giving them to schools and universities so that shiny new faces graduating from these institutions came forth thinking that Apple and Adobe was all that there was. Just like the legions of naive computer science graduates of the 1990's that came forth thinking that the abomination known as Pascal was the gold standard for a programming language. Shudder. All the result of Job's marketing acumen.

Nonetheless, Jobs managed to shepherd some really nice innovations into the market place. He invented nothing, he and his subordinates merely synthesized existing technology. No small feat but not on the same plane as inventing the light bulb where nothing of the sort existed before.

Regardless of he was, genius or huckster, whichever suits your prejudices, the world will be less without him. He was a force to be reckoned with.

Locals Find!

I don't find them overpriced and I don't think what you said is an appropriate remark in a thread like this.

Don't take my comment out of context. I have great respect for the man. He was a friggin marketing genius.

He went from the bottom to the top of the food chain more than once. He marketed a product that was more money than comparable products and got people to buy them anyway and be loyal to them. He has the smallest market share of all comparable products but, his products are the ones everyone from 8-80 knows by name.

I wish he was still around he was just getting warmed up. He is every marketing and salesman's hero. He will be missed.

Mainframe

Stepped out on the beach at Lake Erie today, A beautiful 70 degree sunny day, looked down & found a nickel sticking up out of the sand, I picked it up, 1955, Freaky.

David Wright

I knew both Jobs and Wozniak way back when. I worked at HP with Wozniak at the Cupertino facility.

Jobs was one hell of a salesman and the complete butt-hole that has been previously noted. When they started Apple and they offered me a job, my wife said that one shouldn't work for any company named after a fruit. I tended to agree.

At the time we felt that a whimsical name was indicative of their seriousness did not bode well. Moreover everyone and their dog was making their version pf a PC, the odds were against them.

The fact is that their computers were never mainstream, they infested the market by giving them to schools and universities so that shiny new faces graduating from these institutions came forth thinking that Apple and Adobe was all that there was. Just like the legions of naive computer science graduates of the 1990's that came forth thinking that the abomination known as Pascal was the gold standard for a programming language. Shudder. All the result of Job's marketing acumen.

Nonetheless, Jobs managed to shepherd some really nice innovations into the market place. He invented nothing, he and his subordinates merely synthesized existing technology. No small feat but not on the same plane as inventing the light bulb where nothing of the sort existed before.

Regardless of he was, genius or huckster, whichever suits your prejudices, the world will be less without him. He was a force to be reckoned with.

This is one the most balanced and right on descriptions of Jobs and Apple that I have read anywhere, and I get here in little ole Signs 101.

Someday I want to hear the whole Bob story.

As for Jobs I am still perplexed why he means so much to people who know him so little. His products, basically gadgets, do allow a somewhat personal level to exist from those who use them to those that made them but really doesn't explain it all.

People wandering around staring into their cell phones, typing on internet blogs (whoops), connecting through facebook, twitter and texting while foregoing the more traditional personal contact might elevate someone like Jobs into an area usually reserved for more traditional heroes and men of accomplishment.

Is he a face of a new social paradigm? Why not others?

In Brave New World, Huxley had set way in the future a new engineered society based much on Henry Fords automation and management techniques. The Ford name was used religiously and with reverence. Sometimes I see a bit of that in this Jobs/Apple phenomenon.

FrankenSigns.biz

Oh yes, I'd like to hear the story of some schlub who once fraternized with the two guys who started Apple and chose not to hang around while history and immense fortune was being made due to a rampant homophobia. Great story there I am sure. Why don't you give Walter Isaacson a call and see if he might be interested in that one as well.

Bob, though you rarely disappoint me, but I have never been more disappointed in anything you have previously espoused.

Additionally, you say Jobs never invented anything? Ridiculous.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Oh yes, I'd like to hear the story of some schlub who once fraternized with the two guys who started Apple and chose not to hang around while history and immense fortune was being made due to a rampant homophobia. Great story there I am sure. Why don't you give Walter Isaacson a call and see if he might be interested in that one as well.

Bob, though you rarely disappoint me, but I have never been more disappointed in anything you have previously espoused.

Additionally, you say Jobs never invented anything? Ridiculous.

You give every appearance of being as large a dick head as Jobs was.

I never said I fraternized with them, I said I knew them. En passant.

Apple=>fruit=>homophobia is as tortured a path as I've seen this century. Moreover I'm not the least bit afraid of those that are a bit light in the loafers.

From your pointer about invention... He invented the lanyard? He invented glass and/or the staircase? He invented the disc cartridge? He most certainly didn't invent the mouse, that was a product of Xerox PARC. Everyone, including HP, stole it from them.

Patent does not necessarily equal invention, it can just as easily, and far more often, be for synthesis. Which is what Jobs did.

FrankenSigns.biz

I'm little touchy on this subject but way back when I had a PC when NO ONE had a PC. First kid on the block scenario. At the time, I owned a small chain of used bookstores in the mid 80's and I used a Commmodore 64SX in my Charlotte, NC location to keep track of inventory and my customer list. Due to a keen interest, and a little money to burn, one computer gave way to another. Then one day, I found myself with a Mac Plus. There was no doubt this one was different. I quickly realized this Mac could to two things for me; set type and make money. Both happen to be something I enjoy. That business grew and has transitioned over the years but has done consistently and comparatively well. People who find themselves financially secure will tend stop and look over their shoulder and wonder how it all happened. I do that every now and again. When I look over my shoulder I see that Mac. I was in the right place at the right time and I could not repeat the success if I started today. But I am sure I would not be where I am without that Mac and I would not have had that Mac without Steve Jobs. I guess that's called loyalty.

Last edited:

David Wright

Whatever level of success I have had in life, little is going to be attributed to my computer or any other consumer device. Otherwise, what, do I pay homage to Summa, Corel, Sharff brushes?

Back in the 80's when I had an Amiga computer I found the same attitude. The Amiga community acted the same way against Apple and pcs. There was some justification but also some plain weirdness about it all.