• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Apple has reported Steve Jobs has died

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
"Board" as in message board Bob. I guess I'm just "old school". Got to love the ad hominem attack. Have you ever heard the expression a time and a place? You want to bash Jobs start your own thread. It's not what this is about. You really need to get over yourself.

Sport, I have no problem keeping things like message boards, usenet newsgroups, internet fora, et al separate and distinct. It is you that mis-labeled these waters and I merely pointed out the level of ignorance, or perhaps smugness, required to do so. Half of all wisdom is knowing and using the correct nomenclature.

Yes I have heard the expression 'a time and a place' and, upon inspection, find it as functionally meaningless as the rest of the trite mottoes that are usually found embroidered on samplers and used in, shudder, motivational inanity. These things sound good and will produce knowing nods from anyone encountering them. But they don't mean a damn thing and no point is ever made nor can be made by their reference.

Calling them as I see them and merely pointing out facts is not bashing anyone. You seem to be of the ilk that reacts with the vastly overused term 'bashing' whenever you encounter something you find unpleasant and counter to your particular belief system. If you are the owner and operator of such a thing, whatever it might be, and have yet to outgrow it.

WildWestDesigns

Yes I have heard the expression 'a time and a place' and, upon inspection, find it as functionally meaningless as the rest of the trite mottoes that are usually found embroidered on samplers and used in, shudder, motivational inanity. These things sound good and will produce knowing nods from anyone encountering them. But they don't mean a damn thing and no point is ever made nor can be made by their reference.

Not necessarily true. I'm not saying you have to like or agree with the failings of human nature(which those sayings would fall under I would imagine according to you), however, knowing about them and using them for your benefit can come quite handy. Based on that I would argue that they have a meaning and functionality. You just have to know how to use that to your advantage. "Calling it like you see it" is counterproductive to that at times.

FrankenSigns.biz

I am a member of a lot of forums and this one takes the cake for mean spiritedness. I think this forum has more than it's share of miserable people who are in a miserable business in a miserable financial state and that misery loves company. It"s not about Steve Jobs or his accomplishments. It's about these miserable people sharing their misery. They exhibit no affection, no compassion, no interpersonal sensibility. Their backhanded compliments are testimony to their lack of complacency, their jealousies and utter disregard for what someone else here might hold dear.

CES020

I wasn't aware Jobs or his family frequented this forum.

It has nothing at all to do with Steve Jobs or his family. Are you saying only a family member can feel the loss of a person?

I have to agree with Frankensigns. What's the purpose of bashing someone in a thread that announces their death? What are you trying to get out of it? Write history as it's seen through your eyes? Well, the whole world doesn't see things out of your eyes, they see them through their own.

But bashing someone the day of or the day after they died is about one of the classless, tasteless things I've ever seen on this forum or any other. The fact that someone doesn't see anything wrong with it speaks volumes about their character.

If it were someone's pet, then they wouldn't have opened their mouth, but the fact it's "Steve Jobs" sets off some internal idiot switch that they feel compelled to respond to. They just can't resist bashing the guy at any time. It must really suck to go through life with so much rage and hate towards any other human being that the mere mention of his name causes such a reaction.

CoCut USA

It has nothing at all to do with Steve Jobs or his family...

I agree, albeit, I'm sure this is heartbreaking beyond belief for his loved ones and any who admired Steve Jobs. I do, greatly, and I'm Windows user -- heck I even sell a Windows product.

But I think we should be concerned, too. Apple is the world's second most valuable company; and Apple is Steve Jobs. It floundered without him. He chose every color of every component. He dictated where buttons were placed and what technologies his products would include. He forged unique relationships with music and TV content providers, on the strength of his sole vision. Apple is not Apple, without Jobs, IMO. That's scary, even, for a company that's so vitally important in driving innovation.

If you use a computer, any computer, a lot of what you love about it was because of Jobs' vision. The phone you use is because of Jobs' vision, even if it's an Android or Windows phone. If use a tablet, any tablet, it's because of Steve Jobs. That vision, and product innovation, that keeps America number one in tech innovations, died with Steve Jobs.

And yeah; many say he was arrogant like none other. But consider his genius -- real deal, unique and unsurpassed genius, akin to that of Issac Newton. No focus groups needed. His mind alone knew exactly what we wanted, before we did. There may not be another innovator/marketer/CEO/industrial designer like him for 1000 years, or more.

America, and the world, has lost a treasure, IMO.

Jim
CoCut USA

andy

It amazes me that people can't see this a thread to pay respect to a man who just died. But, in a day and age when people think it's fine to crank subwoofers in their cars while sitting in a residential neighborhood or picket funerals of soldiers why should I be surprised.

Is there not a different between dignified respect for the late Mr Jobs and a slightly sickening, over sentimental and oddly mawkish digital wake?

The only person to have met the late Mr Jobs is Bob... his crass comments detailing the personality faults of the gentlemen serve no useful purpose and are, in my view not very dignified.

However, those who claim they have a "connection" with Mr Jobs by dint of mere ownership of a device bearing the Apple logo are not very dignified either IMO.

Grief is a private matter which should be handled with solemn dignity... it's not a media event, it's not a reason for mass hysteria.

I'm sad for the Jobs family but I'm not about to fall asleep with a frame picture of Mr Jobs under my pillow... equally I'm not going to start rubbishing his life either... a quiet moment of reflection and on with the daily business of life.

FrankenSigns.biz

However, those who claim they have a "connection" with Mr Jobs by dint of mere ownership of a device bearing the Apple logo are not very dignified either IMO.

I looked to see where you might have derived that impression. I might take this as another comment of sharing misery.

When I bought my Mac and Apple laser printer, I found myself awash in more work and business than you can imagine. I came out of nowhere and found myself competing with large typesetting companies. Almost every printshop within 20 miles of my front door was buying graphic design and typesetting from me and dropped these larger typesetters like a hot potato. I was among—if not the very first Desktop Publisher in Charlotte, NC. In those days it was Apple computers for this business or $150,000+ Compugraphic dinosaurs. There were no PC's printing to 300 dpi printers in that day and age. My business skyrocketed and continued robust for many years. Because of this incredible flood of business, to this day I retain the liquidity to invest in new technology and new equipment and new business ventures.

A mere dint of ownership. Please do not make such an assumption toward my sentiments.

As I stated earlier, if I look back I can genuinely say that I owe my success in large part, to Steve Jobs.

Last edited:

FrankenSigns.biz

Whatever level of success I have had in life, little is going to be attributed to my computer or any other consumer device. Otherwise, what, do I pay homage to Summa, Corel, Sharff brushes?

Choosing Summa indicates to me what you choose to buy may well be based on price. Next time go with Roland, the extra money invested is worth what you can extract in a more marketable / sellable product. Next time know that better choices can result in a higher level of success. Try it. Maybe then you'll understand.

Last edited:

David Wright

Choosing Summa indicates to me what you choose to buy may well be based on price. Next time go with Roland, the extra money invested is worth what you can extract in a more marketable / sellable product. Next time know that better choices can result in a higher level of success. Try it. Maybe then you'll understand.

I am not sure what you are talking about, Summa is the higher priced and quality made product.
I must be the bee in your bonnet today huh?

Tim Aucoin

Mainframe said:
Here is a link to an article written by a Person who was close to the fire at Apple, it says a lot about what Steve was trying to achieve, and yes I can imagine a few toes were stepped on en route.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20117575-37/what-i-learned-from-steve-jobs/?tag=topStories

Thanks for this link Mainframe! What an excellent article. Made me stop and think; "yeah, that's really what it's all about". I recommend EVERYONE read it, and think outside the Apple box because it pertains to ANY business!!

I especially liked the closing statement...

Not everyone will believe—that’s OK. But the starting point of changing the world is changing a few minds. This is the greatest lesson of all that I learned from Steve. May he rest in peace knowing how much he changed the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Forum Runner

2972renfro

For me the saddest part is that he was taken away from cancer at much too young of an age. Who knows what he could have accomplished in the next 10-20 years. He has done so much in the short time that he took it back over.

Taking over Apple is not an enviable position. For quite a long time, everyone will be saying "what would Steve have done?" Not every product from Apple has been a home run so any failures or changes in direction for the company will come under scrutiny