• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banners 101

GB2

Old Member
I like just bought the best hammer and saw there is. I think I will start building houses. Can someone tell me how to do it, I know I will be good at it, I like making things. I know soon I will be building mansions.

<LI class=profilefield_category>About bendeane Locations Lenexa, KS Company Individual Work Description None Position None Plotters & Printers None Signmaking & Graphics Software None
So, when did everyone wake up and find themselves turned into Stepford Wives? What's with the sudden dose of nicey, nicey?

Marlene

Not being a smart ass (seriously) when I ask this question, but I'm baffled.

Ben, what type of sign company would hire you as "Operations Manager", when your only experience is designing "brochures, flyers, pamphlets, etc" , "on a small scale"?

Please don't take offense, but you will look rather foolish ordering supplies, and asking your sales rep for some of those "little metal rings" that go in the corner of your banners?

Good luck with your new position.

glad you asked that I was thinking the exact same thing. I too am not being mean, just totally baffled

bendeane

Skyhigh, I know what grommets are, I know what vinyl is, I know about the Mutoh PrismJet VJ and I know that you are a smart ass. All of us were new to the sign making business at some point...all of us are new everything when we tried it the first time. The company hiring me knows I'm a good business person, and they also know that they can trust me to do anything and everything to learn all there is to learn about making quality signs and banners for our customers.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Not sure what you are saying Gary... but I am the one that approved his registration and would do so again. He is asking questions to learn - seems to have a thick enough skin to make it here - and wants to do things the right way.

This is a place for signmakers - and future signmakers - to learn those things... and I like it when the nicey-nice kicks in around here - doesn't happen often enough IMHO.

Marlene

sorry, but I copied that too as I didn't get it either. I do understand new people coming into the business but was curious how a person could become a operations manager and not know what the word substrate means. there's start from scratch and that's pretty normal. it just seemed mind boggling that some one could get hired to manage what they don't even know anything about. if that make me a jerk, so be it, I couldn't firgure out how you could even function without a basic concept of the job.

Biker Scout

Millions of people out in the real world have jobs they aren't qualified for. That's just par for the course. They rely heavily on bureaucracy, other team members and employees to carry them through. They may work really hard 8 or 9 days out of the quarter to show they are really dedicated, and it's usually right before a deadline, or their quarterly reviews.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Not calling anyone a jerk Marlene - especially not you :loveya:

It just gets old that EVERY new person that comes here must show their bona fides or take it in the &^#$ for even considering becoming a signmaker without 22 years of experience... this is not the old brush days where you found someone to apprentice under then maybe - just maybe - if you were good enough you went out on your own. No matter how much some wish it could be.

I would rather help these people because - and here's a news flash for y'all - they are going to be in this business whether you like it or not. If they are decent - they may stay around for a few years and learn and grow. If they suck - well attrition will take care of them...

And I know y'all get tired of newbies with the same questions - not saying you shouldn't. Just hate that no one can seem to remember that they asked questions once too - albeit from a real person instead of the internet....

2972renfro

I'm on board with many here in that it boggles the mind how you can be the "manager" of anything. Maybe it is the title that confuses us.

From your original post it sounds like the company you work for found out how "easy" it is to make money producing signs and banners. So they went and hired some guy with graphics experience to help them become rich and gave that person (you) a fancy name.

You said you would be starting out making simple vinyl banners and "jump quickly" into full color. So you are probably not a sign shop. You are only offending all the folks on here that worked hard to get where they were at. Read the other "newbie" post that talks about how easy it is to just ask and then feel that it is your right to be given all the answers.

Your first question is very broad and does not indicate you've done any homework yourself short of the definition of "substrate" Bravo, you'll be making full color prints on your machine by next week.

if you want to know how to make signs and banners, just go to youtube. There are plenty of videos. You can also probably learn how to build a house or be a mechanic

Harsh yes, but your first post indicated very little work on your part that cannot be found through google

Marlene

It just gets old that EVERY new person that comes here must show their bona fides or take it in the &^#$ for even considering becoming a signmaker without 22 years of experience

oddly enough considering my post feel the same way about how new people are treated around here. I also think that renfro's post kind of sums up why I reacted the way that I did. If I've made you feel unwelcome bendeane, that wasn't my intent.

Graphics2u

Not calling anyone a jerk Marlene - especially not you :loveya:

It just gets old that EVERY new person that comes here must show their bona fides or take it in the &^#$ for even considering becoming a signmaker without 22 years of experience... this is not the old brush days where you found someone to apprentice under then maybe - just maybe - if you were good enough you went out on your own. No matter how much some wish it could be.

I would rather help these people because - and here's a news flash for y'all - they are going to be in this business whether you like it or not. If they are decent - they may stay around for a few years and learn and grow. If they suck - well attrition will take care of them...

And I know y'all get tired of newbies with the same questions - not saying you shouldn't. Just hate that no one can seem to remember that they asked questions once too - albeit from a real person instead of the internet....
:goodpost: Ok I'll grant you that the job title makes you wonder how they got hired. But why do so many feel they need to rip the new guy to pieces??? We all were new once. If you find a certain post sounds like a new guy that doesn't know much yet why do you feel you need to waste your time telling him and everyone else that's what you think. Don't bother, because anyone that will be impressed by your comments is already thinking it too. Reminds me alot of 3rd grade.

Jillbeans

Well one of the things I would suggest is to not always use a horizontal layout in a banner, to break it up with the use of panels.
Don't go overboard with special effects just because you have a printer.
Don't use cheap banner material even tho they are only a temporary sign.
Don't give them away cheap either.
Love....Jill
(just a few general banner answers)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, I don’t mind newbies coming or going…. it’s the attitude that kinda stinks.

Sure things are different today than 40, 50 or 60 years ago, but basic design, layout skills, color wheel and general knowledge are still the same. The tools as to how you get there may be different, but the end result are the same. Well, the same goes for learning….. you wanna learn….. you play by the rules. Ask questions, and remember there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers, but be prepared to be corrected and whether its done nicely or rudely…. take out the adjectives and see what the end results are. If ya stink, ya stink….. and it’s best ya know it up front, so you can correct it. No one told you how to read and that every word while being sounded out made sense, but you eventually got the gist of it and started doing better on your own. Ever hear a foreigner say words…. do you laugh at them and poke fun…. Yeah, usually and then you correct them and say it correctly for them. Try getting a Latino to say the word ‘FOCUS’… that’s got to be the funniest thing I do and it happens quite often. Another one is the word ‘FOG’.

Anyway, these first timers are just being a little too hissy about coming into something virtually for free asking questions to save them $1,000’s if not 10’s of $1,000’s and they cop an attitude when we talk straight turkey to them. Did these newbies talk back to their parents when they said or did something wrong ?? I hope not, but by today’s standards…. they probably did.

Well, the room just gets a little too stuffy when the student has the attitude about learning and that’s what gets the flames under my butt turned a little too high.

No one member or newbie should be felt they are doing something wrong, but when one looks a gift horse in the mouth 52 times…. it gets old real fast. :Sleeping:​

Pat Whatley

Stacey, what in the hell do you expect us to do? Every time some newbie shows up in here who can't be bothered to use the damn SEARCH function, doesn't have enough knowledge to even ask a legitimate question, and then cops an attitude it pissed everybody off.

There is NOTHING that he would ever need to know about banners that couldn't be answered with a half hour of wandering through the archives. NOTHING. Maybe you should require all new members to spend an hour looking at ANYTHING in the archives before they can ask questions.

Gino nailed it...the knowledge they're looking for came at a serious financial cost to the people who can share it. How many mile of vinyl have I screwed up over the years to learn how to do things with it a newbie can't fathom? How many paint failures, vinyl failures, and substrate issues have I dealt with in order to learn methods that work, without fail, for me now? It's all knowledge I will gladly share, all I ask is a little politeness and effort from the person asking...it's the same attitude I try to have when asking questions here, as well.

DOGraphics

I like just bought the best hammer and saw there is. I think I will start building houses. Can someone tell me how to do it, I know I will be good at it, I like making things. I know soon I will be building mansions.

Try HomeBuilders101.com :banghead:

I didn't take the time to check
but there might be one.

if not try HomeBuilders201.com :ROFLMAO:

Bigdawg

Just Me
Pat - I don't really expect any different... just expressing my frustration too. I see both sides here...

I just remember when we were a little nicer when we told 'em to use the damn search button :smile:

skyhigh

Skyhigh, I know what vinyl is, and I know that you are a smart ass. All of us were new to the sign making business at some point...all of us are new everything when we tried it the first time.

1) If you know what vinyl is, then you should know its backer paper, not backer tape.

2) Yes, we all knew very little about the trade when we started, but very few of us started out as CEO

3) If I'm a smart ass, then you Ben are a fool. (and your boss a bigger fool for hiring someone with your limited qualifications for such an important job role)

Just my opinion....dont' let it ruin your day.

I did ask what type of sign shop this was, but you chose to cop the attitude instead of giving an answer. Ohhhh, and kudos you know what a grommet is. You should go far.