• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banners 101

Dave Drane

Ya know, I don’t mind newbies coming or going…. it’s the attitude that kinda stinks.

Sure things are different today than 40, 50 or 60 years ago, but basic design, layout skills, color wheel and general knowledge are still the same. The tools as to how you get there may be different, but the end result are the same. Well, the same goes for learning….. you wanna learn….. you play by the rules. Ask questions, and remember there are no dumb questions, just dumb answers, but be prepared to be corrected and whether its done nicely or rudely…. take out the adjectives and see what the end results are. If ya stink, ya stink….. and it’s best ya know it up front, so you can correct it. No one told you how to read and that every word while being sounded out made sense, but you eventually got the gist of it and started doing better on your own. Ever hear a foreigner say words…. do you laugh at them and poke fun…. Yeah, usually and then you correct them and say it correctly for them. Try getting a Latino to say the word ‘FOCUS’… that’s got to be the funniest thing I do and it happens quite often. Another one is the word ‘FOG’.

Anyway, these first timers are just being a little too hissy about coming into something virtually for free asking questions to save them $1,000’s if not 10’s of $1,000’s and they cop an attitude when we talk straight turkey to them. Did these newbies talk back to their parents when they said or did something wrong ?? I hope not, but by today’s standards…. they probably did.

Well, the room just gets a little too stuffy when the student has the attitude about learning and that’s what gets the flames under my butt turned a little too high.

No one member or newbie should be felt they are doing something wrong, but when one looks a gift horse in the mouth 52 times…. it gets old real fast. :Sleeping:​

:goodpost: Gino, I strongly believe that the old days of some kind of an apprenticeship should be bought back. Signs and advertising is a serious business and should be treated as such. Having "equipment" and no brains seems to be a staple for entering the business (I won't say trade) these days.
Certainly there are many people with a "layout brain" who are able to enter and understand the modern way of signmaking but it is really getting boring with morons with money thinking they can walk straight into this business. I often see a car or truck pass by that catches my eye but the "graphics" are totally illegible?? This is what needs to be taught in a trade school that advertising is not only being able to get the attention but being able to take in the MESSAGE!! Button pushing with no brains applied is becoming very boring.

bendeane

Wow, look what I started. Now doesn't it feel good to just say what we think. Anyway, I'm wondering how many people have actually taken a 101 level course. The name of this site is signs101 and I know many people that are in careers that they are very talented at and very successful at all because in college they took a course called "whatever" 101 and it turned their crank.

"The first course in a subject taught at a college or university in Australia, Canada, South Africa, or the United States.[1] By extension, "Topic 101" is used generally to indicate the basics of any subject."

Maybe this sight should instead be called "Advanced Sign Making." No offense to anybody, but if you don't want to deal with newbies, don't be a member of any kind of "101" forum. I hope most of this has all been in jest and a mild attempt to see if I'll be tough enough to stick around in this business. Trust me, I've been through tougher situations than many of you can ever imagine. I do appreciate all of your help and support and have learned a lot from many of you so far. My questions (however lame or stupid anyone may think they are) will keep coming and I am at least smart enough to weed the BS out from the helpful replies.

“You learn more about war when they’re shooting at you than by reading about it."

signage

bendeane you are correct about college courses being 101 for beginners! Now did you think that may this sites 101 was referring to being the first or early stages for a sign related forum for professionals?

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Wow, look what I started. Now doesn't it feel good to just say what we think. Anyway, I'm wondering how many people have actually taken a 101 level course. The name of this site is signs101 and I know many people that are in careers that they are very talented at and very successful at all because in college they took a course called "whatever" 101 and it turned their crank.

"The first course in a subject taught at a college or university in Australia, Canada, South Africa, or the United States.[1] By extension, "Topic 101" is used generally to indicate the basics of any subject."

Maybe this sight should instead be called "Advanced Sign Making." No offense to anybody, but if you don't want to deal with newbies, don't be a member of any kind of "101" forum. I hope most of this has all been in jest and a mild attempt to see if I'll be tough enough to stick around in this business. Trust me, I've been through tougher situations than many of you can ever imagine. I do appreciate all of your help and support and have learned a lot from many of you so far. My questions (however lame or stupid anyone may think they are) will keep coming and I am at least smart enough to weed the BS out from the helpful replies.

“You learn more about war when they’re shooting at you than by reading about it."

What's in a Name?

GB2

Old Member
Hey Ben....I think we can officially declare this to be a very productive thread. You must admit that amidst all the nonsense replies you have actually learned a great deal through this experience. Also, you've grown from vulgar, retaliatory name calling to calm thoughtful responding...I think you almost actually said Thank You in there somewhere. You also realize that you need to evaluate and consider the source of each response and let the worthless ones roll off your back. Most importantly, look at all the activity you've generated...this will keep all those advertisers happy and give them good value for their dollar therefore continuing to build a strong foundation for Sigs101.

Billct2

"
You learn more about war when they’re shooting at you than by reading about it."
That is true, after I spent a year in sign school, spending 6 hours a day studying and lettering then my real education started in the sign shops I had jobs in.
But if you're going into battle it helps to know what caliber your weapon is and where the bullets go, oh yeah...and how to duck.