• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banners 101

Pat Whatley

I'll offer to start all over...if BenDeane will offer up some realistic questions about what he wants to know I'd be glad to help.

well since this post went this direction lol myself i have decided that i will answer general questions most of the time if the person asking isnt a complete tool.

but as far as teaching or telling anyone how to flat out do something that i have invested many years into learning how to do... i am much more selective about just giving information like that away.

they can hire someone who has learned the skillset that they need, they can invest in books, classes or professional instruction to learn the skillset that they need or they can struggle through and learn the very expensive and foolish way on their own...

there is great value in the specialized skills that many of us have earned through many years of investing in our craft and we should not discount that.

so i am happy to answer questions regarding terminology etc but if someone wants me to spell out step by step the process of multi toned acid etching (or some other specialized skill) for them versus them taking a class, hiring a skilled professional or investing in their own education ..yeah..i'm not that interested...just saying

mikey-Oh

if you're serious about vinyl banners, it's time to get very familiar with your favorite vector-based graphics software.

:popcorn:

Last edited:

Graphics2u

Ya know, I don’t mind newbies coming or going…. it’s the attitude that kinda stinks.
I can understand that Gino, And this isn't aimed at you, but since you answered my question I'm quoting your post. But just as an example let's look at the original post again to see if he merits this response.

Is there a good resource for learning the lingo and methods for making banners? I'm about to jump in with a start up as operations manager and I'm new to everything. I hear words like substrate and backing tape and wonder, "what the heck is substrate (I've since figured it out)." I'm excited because I'm a creative person and I love making things. I know I can be good at this, but I just need a little guidance to begin with before I jump in. We will probably be making a lot of basic vinyl banners at first and then jump in pretty quickly to full color stuff. I know we'll have good equipment and the right resources from a hardware perspective, I just need some of the universal knowledge about banners and such to get me started. Thanks for the help.

He is asking for a good resource for info. No attitude. He's excited about a new job that he's looking forward to learning more about it. They are gonna start out with simpler banners then get into digital. They will have proper equipment, they're not looking for a printer for $1500 that will make them thousands upon thousands in return. Admitting that he's got a lot to learn he's come here to learn, and where better to come than Signs101! Which it's name itself suggests it's for helping beginner's learn. But what does he get, a few pointers and welcomes (one of which was from you Gino) and whole lot of accusations and questions as to how could you even get a job like this, to someone posting his profile page info and suggesting that since it's not all filled out so why be nice to the guy!

The mentality of many around here anymore seems to be that unless you already know everything you don't need to be asking for anything and really you shouldn't even get in this business.

We're all adults can't we just get along???

Bradster941

I like just bought the best hammer and saw there is. I think I will start building houses. Can someone tell me how to do it, I know I will be good at it, I like making things. I know soon I will be building mansions.

Um..... I'll take Mosh for 1000. Taking into consideration every single post he has made is absolute bullsh*t.
Carry on.

Got to agree with Pat here. Can't believe he hasn't been Banned yet.

Hey MOSH;

attachment.php

Attachments

• pull.jpg
    pull.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 82

JR's

Well one of the things I would suggest is to not always use a horizontal layout in a banner, to break it up with the use of panels.
Don't go overboard with special effects just because you have a printer.
Don't use cheap banner material even tho they are only a temporary sign.
Don't give them away cheap either.
Love....Jill
(just a few general banner answers)

you nailed it Jill.

JR

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Be my guest Graphics and use my post. I am pleased to see you didn’t try to re-work my statements or thoughts and form new ones for me…. and for that I kindly thank you.

Aim at me if you think I’m wrong… I can always come back and defend myself or say I’m sorry. :peace!:

In this case, I did give the OP a ‘welcome from’, but I did so hesitantly because of his remarks in post #14 where he already showed signs of impatience and bullheadedness on only his second post. Nothing to sneeze about, but when others started wondering and asking questions, he came back again in his post #30. and blasted away needlessly.

There are no conditions written or unwritten that determine how a thread will flow regardless of one’s own wants, but nature will takes its path and this one like so many others got knocked off course quickly. After some debate as to the rules or whatever of when someone enters into a certain profession of how to act or how not to act…… it became hi-jacked and I was posting more along the lines of what took place running this thread all around rather than answering the OP’s question.

The OP, in this case… seems to have led people astray, whether on purpose or not, is not for us to decide, but we can only speak of that which is mentioned. All of the other posters along the way have colored this thread with all of their perceived ideas and wants or dislikes…. again, none of which do this thread any good, but it goes on, like all those other doomed threads before it.

I get tired of seeing the same questions and basic questions day after day, but something has to be said of….. there’s nothing like going back and reviewing the basics. The old pros here don’t think they need it any longer and poo poo this kinda stuff, but it helps keep everyone on the same page from time to time. Sometimes a good thread gets lost and I never had a chance to see it. When someone brings up a thread from weeks, months or even years gone by…. it is good to see how people responded years ago and again now with new technology in place. So, looking something up for yourself isn’t always the best advice, but I still think we should have some sort of a greeting committee. Not let newbies interact until they have grown some thicker skin and if they still want in after a required time limit…. we vote or something similar to see if they should be accepted. I don’t know of an organization, club or collection of people that don’t do things in some sort or similar means.

You can’t go to the movies and just walk in. You have to pay and if they have any vacant seats coming up at the next feature… you are allowed to enter and wait your turn until the others are finished. THEN, you may enter in and if you don’t like the movie… you can leave. Otherwise, shut up, pay attention and don’t create any waves or you’ll be asked to leave.
:thankyou:

Artildawn

1. You can manage people without necessarily knowing everything about what they do.
2. The OP's attitude started of well, and only degraded after being browbeaten.
3. If you don't want to help someone fine... just move along and ignore them.

Poconopete

So, looking something up for yourself isn’t always the best advice, but I still think we should have some sort of a greeting committee. Not let newbies interact until they have grown some thicker skin and if they still want in after a required time limit…. we vote or something similar to see if they should be accepted. I don’t know of an organization, club or collection of people that don’t do things in some sort or similar means.
This forum is a business. Each member has an opportunity to contribute $ to the well being of the owners lifestyle. Members voting on whether the owner can earn money from another member has no merit here.
We are all still free to respond how we choose to each post or ignore it altogether.
JMHO

Biker Scout

The same people always seem to reply to these kind of threads.

If you don't feel like being helpful, don't say anything. Don't you people have shops to run, instead of starting a flame war with a total stranger?

There's a lot of curmudgeony attitudes in here to anyone new in the industry. Not everyone can be an autodidact right out of the gate and might need some gentle guidance.

The same people always seem to reply to these kind of threads.

If you don't feel like being helpful, don't say anything. Don't you people have shops to run, instead of starting a flame war with a total stranger?

There's a lot of curmudgeony attitudes in here to anyone new in the industry. Not everyone can be an autodidact right out of the gate and might need some gentle guidance.

and the same touchy feel good koombaiya pollyannas reply with this same crap, if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all, everybody started at the beginning don't you remember holding a crayon and writing backwards abc's ...blah blah blah...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Poco......

I realize this is a business. Just about any organization I'm thinking of... is a business also. That is also why I mentioned 'or something similar'. I didn't really mean a membership voting on this either. Responding and ignoring is exactly each and everyone's prerogative, but it seems many people are getting bent out of shape and the main thing you do for your following is look for the common denominator.... and what do you think that might be ??

I am in no way making an announcement of how things should be run, but a suggestion that can be fine tuned to possibly address this old problem of newbie vs. old fogies.

I would think in a community where we all are trying to get the same thing out of this place, we should be able to work together and find a solution that works for everyone.... including the newbies.... while not harming or making the administrators' jobs any harder.

I can't imagine anyone getting used to the fact of disharmony about the same thing over and over can be a very happy thought. Instead of fighting with each other, we could brainstorm a little and help solve an on-going problem.

We beat up the newbie, the newbie fights back, we beat up each other for doing this that or whatever and then we do it all over again tomorrow with a different name in Post #1. Same ol... same ol.

Ignoring and looking the other way isn't working, so rather than condemning us for not living in a perfect world... let's fix the problem.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Let me tell you about my month

I think what a lot of this comes from is that we tend to forget how daunting a new website can be to some people and how difficult getting a reasonable result from a search can be.

I've had occasion of late to visit a support forum for a software product we use and which uses the same forum software we use. Every time I would run a search, using the advanced search function, I would end up with many, many more threads than I wanted with maybe one out of twenty actually containing any discussion relating to my need.

So I was faced with a choice each time of wading through all the non-related threads to find one finally that was useful. Each time my natural instinct was just to post a new thread and ask my questions. When I finally did, I got a variety of responses such as:

1. The answer I needed
  2. A link to a thread with the answer I needed
  3. A suggestion that I use the search function

My reaction was highly positive when it was one or two and annoyed when it was three. To the forum's credit though, there were no replies that attacked my motives or my fitness to seek such answers. I was never made to feel inferior for not knowing something or even how to form a question.

There's a lot of reaction and counter reaction that goes on with new people here. Perhaps regulars should cut back on it and not be so quick to read things into a newcomer's post that may not be so or that mean something different to the poster than it does to each of us on reading it. Just food for thought.

Craig Sjoquist

..Welcome to a outstanding forum and people.

Banners ... I'd visit the other sign shops see what they are doing, does any of them specialize in banners, how does your city/towns in 50 mile radius treat them

like our city says 1 banner allowed every 6 months for 1 month .. our government does not like small business but that another story

think about the future, how to convince the business public... to make use of banners and to keep using several times a year..you want be in constant contact ..my 2 cents for now

klmjff

"You can’t go to the movies and just walk in. You have to pay and if they have any vacant seats coming up at the next feature… you are allowed to enter and wait your turn until the others are finished. THEN, you may enter in and if you don’t like the movie… you can leave. Otherwise, shut up, pay attention and don’t create any waves or you’ll be asked to leave." From Gina

Does that mean if Im not a merchant member yet, I'm gonna get $#% on every time I ask a question. Get your stupid ego in check and look at what site you are on! I don't care if you used to work at Ben Franklin's shop, some of us newbies would like some straight answers.
I was considering paying the yearly subscription, but if old codgers like Gina keep cryin the blues, maybe i'll just stay on here for free......

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Next to Newbie forum it does say this.... "New to the business or thinking about jumping in? Got some basic questions? Ask them here"

ddarlak

Go Bills!
It just gets old that EVERY new person that comes here must show their bona fides or take it in the &^#$ for even considering becoming a signmaker without 22 years of experience... this is not the old brush days where you found someone to apprentice under then maybe - just maybe - if you were good enough you went out on your own. No matter how much some wish it could be.

the forum/website is what you the admins let it be. more than once i have suggested to delete shit, but fred stands by the "let things play out so every one can hang thermselves theory"...

if there is a newbie forum for newbie dumbass questions, then delete the ignorant posts, warn the member and move on...... they/we will stop....

or keep it the same way and have these spiraling threads to nowhereville........