• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Big Squeegee for under 20$

Skye

Ranting?

I thought we could share ideas here.

If our ideas or sometimes how we write them out in posts offends someone i feel you should let them know.
However if the person meant no harm it should be as if you were talking to a comrade and not an enemy.

fellow sign maker

sjm

So let me get this right. You state the obvious ... a product developed, tested, invested in, manufactured, advertised and brought to market can be broken down to its material components and recreated for a lesser amount.

blondie.gif
Well DUH!

OTOH, we could pretty much apply the same logic to a lot of things. How about contact paper in place of vinyl? Need some lumber ... cut down a tree and mill your own. Credit cards make great squeegees too. Man oh man ... I'm gonna save enough to retire by June.

And OTOH, we can sure disregard the fact that Dale has been a member here since 2005 (while you've been here for a month), is one of our best supporters, has earned praise on his invention from hundreds of members here, and has made hundreds of helpful posts.

Understand your point, but show me someone who hasn't modified their digital printer in one way or another and when that stops to occur, I think progress stands still.

pisko

I don't post much but in this case I am compelled to. I have access to all the material to build a BS. The sign stuff I dabble in as my real job is rebuilding engines. I am a machinist by trade and could build the BS in a heart beat. I however purchsed and own the real thing. It's not worth the $500.00 of my time to build one. Trust me Dale ain't makin but a nickle on every one of thiose things he sells. Being a business man in the engine rebuilding business and dabbling in the sign stuff (and I do mean dabbling I suck at it) I want or expect people to support my business. Kinda a givin I think or an ego thing. Maybe we should have all purchsed a $500.00 cutter off ebay instead of investing thousands in equipment so that people can come in and beat us down in price for our services. On a final note....pretty easy to re-invent the wheel and to reproduce some bodys idea after it's been marketed. Hat's off to Dale. He saw a product that is time saving and cost effective. Pay him the $100.00.....trust me he ain't gonna get rich.

ProWraps

just my deranged unpopular opinion, but if you are selling a $3 pile of plastic for $100, and your $120k in the hole, maybe you need to make a model that prints money.

sjm

Competition is healthy and it's what drives the economy. Value I think, is what you bring to the table as a business person.

That's not to suggest Dale doesn't bring anything to the table, but to those I suppose who have embraced this market especially on the digital side of things and have seen it grow it's simply because of that competition, making digital technology more affordable to all.

I agree with Skype we're all here to share ideas and to help in our personal and business growth. Just my opinion as a guy from the old old school.

Mosh

I have a couple Big S's and love them. I too have found a product that I can make easier and cheaper. All I do is use duct tape and attatch two beer cans to a hat, add long staws and WALLAH! No need to spend the money on those high fallooting drink hats anymore!!!!

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
It wasn't the tip you posted.. As with any other tool we use here...
Any body could figure this one out themselves if they so desired.

But its the way you posted it as a direct attack on Dale and his product. Sheesh!

Exactly.

"Thumbs up Big Squeegee for under 20$
Alright guys.
Who here has bought a Big squeegee for 100$ or more.
Well heres the thing."

Salmoneye

Dale only charged me $20 bucks for mine, the other $100 or so must have been for the well deserved advice and customer service that he afforded me over the phone before I made a decision. I am not against making your own version of any tool in the shop but I must give props to this man. The product is well made, customer service top rate and I find myself using it every day. In fact I have let the wife know the other size that I would like for my birthday :)

TheSellOut

I just bought my first 50" BS 3 weeks ago...use it everyday...Love it! When the time comes that I need the 56"...it better not have an old shweaty pair of your gym shorts on it Dale!

Great Product and a steal at $100.00

With that being said...Future, don't get too bend out of shape over this thread! Gym Shorts:ROFLMAO:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Understand your point, but show me someone who hasn't modified their digital printer in one way or another and when that stops to occur, I think progress stands still.

I don't disagree with your point but I also don't see the relationship. For example, as a Gerber customer, I didn't like the fact that my plotter lacked friction feed, so I developed and brought a friction feed adapter to market. Solved my problem and made a buck at the same time.

If what you're saying is that innovation is great, I agree. A lot of us do that, whether it's seeing a need in making a tool to do something better or figuring out how do produce a job one has never done before. I think the ability to do this ... to think like this is a key ingredient to success in our craft.

So to clarify, lets just say that I don't think this particular thing was particularly innovative. I think it was a cheap shot ... kind of like someone saying to a satisfied client that they could have done a job you just did cheaper. Or someone taking your quote and saving the time it would take to estimate a job by just knocking 10% off of your quote.

The reaction I posted along with others here was based in something else. That being Dale the man. I will give the benefit of the doubt that the original poster is most likely not aware of how great a member and sponsor of Signs 101 Dale has been. My comments were only posted because of the respect I have for Dale. Otherwise I would not have posted at all.

signmeup

I do believe you are crusifying this guy for not knowing who Dale is. How would he know that Dale is longtime, well respected member of this forum?

What would your reaction have been if he had said,"Make your own Rapid Tac for $1 a gallon?" (I use Rapid Tac as an example only because the guy who makes it is not well liked around here. Please don't all go nuts argueing about Rapid Tac vs Weasel Piss.....again)

I hope Futura Signs sticks around. He may end up being a well respected member around here too some day.... if you haven't all run him off for not knowing who your friend was.

signmeup

I will give the benefit of the doubt that the original poster is most likely not aware of how great a member and sponsor of Signs 101 Dale has been. My comments were only posted because of the respect I have for Dale. Otherwise I would not have posted at all.
So basically you over reacted rather than explain to Futura that Dale's a great guy and we shouldn't outa mess with his squeegee? And everybody else just piled on cause that's what mobs do?

Futura Signs

First off.
Thanks EVERYONE for positive or Critisizing post.... thats what forums are for afterall.

I didn't mean target Dale nor his awesome product... Saves the world A LOT of squeegeeing time.

So my appologies to anyone who got offended.
i didn't take offense to any of what was said because thats just how i roll... life goes on.

I went home after work and lived normaly.

I will carefully word my things next time. I gota learn better spelling and sentence structure in english.

Cheers

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino and Tony, you two stay classy!

I take it, that because I speak my mind and agree with the OP that you are taking a pot shot here ?? :thankyou:

Oh prey tell, other than a a remark that means nothing because it can be taken either way to keep your butt out of trouble such as your double entendre here.... could or would you mind explaining yourself so you are not misrepresented by your own statement ?? :rock-n-roll:

signmeup

Gino, I think the remark was in responce to you calling the original poster a stupid, cheap tool and a thief....who sucks.
I can't figure out from reading your post how you could be construed as agreeing with the original poster.