• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Big Squeegee for under 20$

Bradster941

why are ppl getting mad ... lol
Just trying to help ppl save a few $$$.

Ill keep my Tips & Tricks for myself. Sheesh

Apparently you like and find value in frequenting Signs101.

Where does the money come from to provide this board to you?

1) Premium Subscribers
2) Merchant Members

Dale, founder of the "Big Squeegee", is Both of those.

So in a nut shell, you use this service for Free and then you try to under-mind the people that pay for it..!!! :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Futura Signs

we use "proffesional" tools here as well...

I didn't try to undemine anyone that said anything... except i think im getting bashed a lot for posting a little tip.

im not saying cut your vinyl by hand nor cut your own lumber or paint your sign instead of print.

and most of all i NEVER said DON'T BUY the big squeegee.
it is an awesome tool and would recomend one to anyone. i simply didn't have the extra 100$ on hand at the moment for one. and if you must know i do think thats a little pricey for what it is.

Im sorry, but not all sign shops make millions... especialy this time of the year.
We live in a very competive sign community.

I do enjoy visiting forums about signs, i like to hear what ppl have to say about the industry.... but i really don't think all this bashing was necesary.

Flame

Or he found a cheap trick that works pretty good for laying down big hunks of vinyl. He isn't trying to market a product, isn't trying to sell anything, just found something that worked good and was sharing it.

I own a BS, works fine for me. I also made a few squeegees for various stuff too.

I think it's fine though cuz I'm sure someone posted up their own takeup reel a while back. Well some vendors here sell takeup reels too... is it undermining them.. or is it showing a cheap example of "making something work".

I think his attitude shows he meant no foul to Dave and even mentioned the BS was better in ways, you can say what you want but I think he's fine.

With PROFESSIONAL Tools

You did fine until this sillyness. You can DIY with stuff and it works just fine. Part of being creative, like changing your own oil instead of bringing it to a shop. Putting in your own hard drive instead of taking to a PC shop. Nothing wrong with a DIY'er....

JR's

Scrap plexiglass three dollars, old gym shorts five dollars, money saved because I did not have to buy the big squeegee.

Oh crap I just messed up my prints from merit graphics. Does anyone know where to get some graphics ASAP and it looks like I've got to buy the big squeegee. O man I've got racket ball tonight and I can't find my gym shorts. Crap crap crap.!!!!

Playing racquetball naked priceless.

JR

:popcorn::Welcome:

BrianKE

Posting about and tips or tricks you have is always appreciated, even if it does something similar to what someone is selling here. There are posts about building work tables, panel saws, etc. all of which can be bought from members/advertisers here.

I think what put you in a negative light is your comment about spending $100 dollars for a Big Squeegee. It read (at least to me) as though you thought the inventor was ripping people off when it only costs a few dollars in material. That is the case with every good product out there. It is not the material that costs money but all the time, research and investment that led up to a marketable product.

I think had you simply stated how you made a squeegee that worked for you and how you did it you would have gotten a more positive response.

acothran

I think the problem is in the title of your post. You didn't say, "Homemade Squeegee for $20" you said "Big Squeegee for $20."

Allen

Tim Aucoin

I made a discovery today. I had a spare box, so I taped it all up on 5 sides, took a pin and poked a hole in the center of one side, then I took some old black gym shorts and made a sort of hood on the open end, rigged up a few things with some coro and glue, and presto... who needs to spend hundreds of dollars on stupid digital cameras when I can give you the plans to make your own for a few bucks!!! :rolleyes: Now I just gotta figure out how to incorporate the USB cable into it... :doh:dang, if I'd have just bought the real thing!!!

Think about it... you are telling us all something that really doesn't need to be told. You don't think everyone who owns a Big Squeegee has looked at it and said; "gee, I could make one of these!" You could say that about so many things not only in this industry, but in everyday life! As everyone has said, posting tips and tricks is appreciated, but just be careful of how you approach it! I have nothing but respect for Dale and ALL the merchant members on here. I like to (and have) supported their businesses when the need arises, and besides, I don't have the time to re-invent the wheel, and that's why I have no problem paying people to do it for me!

Dale... I know some guys who know some guys if you're interested!!... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
so i guess im sorry?
because he's been a member of this forum for longer than me it means he knows more?
thats fine i was mearly trying to save folks a few dollars... ican see ppl are translating it to Plagerism *(my spelling Sucks)* so from now on when i see a quick cost effective way of doing something ill keep it for myself.... Lesson learned.

Thank you for making me feel welcome to the forums. I was in no way bashing suppliers as a i use the very very frequently.

Cheers

That ain't all that sucks.

You professionalism, your ethics, your friendship, your talent for listening, your ability to spend $100. on a great and useful tool. Any fool that can't afford a tool like this for $100 when doing signs to any degree.... has no business being in this business.

Your stupidity is amazing and then you go on to defend it.

Tell us some tips and tricks about making signs or designs.... not how to rip off a fellow member and friend, let alone with your lousy attitude. For crying out loud... you don't even know when to shut the F*** up. :frustrated: Talk about cheap tools... you are one heck of a tool. :ROFLMAO:

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
well......... this is not the first time that someone has suggested that my tools are easy to make. If you were to copy them, it may take you about 3-4 hours to hunt down cut the pieces and assemble them. What you end up with may not be close enough to give you the results you would get with buying the real deal.

How much value do you place on your time? Even at a low $50/hr shop rate, your efforts to save a dime will end up costing more than buying the real deal in the first place.

How much do I make for bringing you this fine product? I took home $8500 last year. My company is in debt $60K. My personal debt has grown to about $60K because of my lack of income. If you don't support the inventors and those that bring new ways to do things to the table, you should not expect them to help you in the future. I only continue because the tools are helping other people and it is finding its way into other industries.

Sticky Signs

Wow! Pretty Harsh on FS. I guess french accents don't translate well over a forum.

FS> J'aime ton idee mais je ne pense pas que cest pour moi. Certain personnes ici on rien d autre a fair... Mard!!!

strypguy

:beer

Sometimes it's like being back in high school around here. I just ingnore alot of what is said like I did back then...he he.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Your fine man. Give your tips and tricks. The BS is a touchy subject here but like a few have already said I think it's fine to share your tips and tricks. In fact I wish there were a lot more of it on here but a lot of it has already been posted.

There are plenty of things you can build yourself and save some money. I have two BS's and, at least in my area, I don't think making them would really be that much cheaper and not better for sure. I use my BS's all the time and I'm glad we have them on hand.

ProWraps

man i havent seen the royal treatment around here like this in a while!

yeah damn it! stop talking about how to knock off that thing that knocks off a real laminator. wth is wrong with you!

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I think the OP posted with the idea of being helpful and did not know Dale's history here or the loyalty the list has for him.
Calling him stupid (by some) seems way over the line to me.

wayne k
guam usa

CentralSigns

Just the other day there was a silk screen home made, with lots of pictures of it. Who cares it's home made. They make real ones because the homade ones arn't always as good. Peaple use chineese plotters and laminaters, thats good stuff copied ,and cheaped out on. Just the other day there was a post on these. One of the merchants sellls then. I think thread is out of control. Chill Eh.

Techman

It wasn't the tip you posted.. As with any other tool we use here...
Any body could figure this one out themselves if they so desired.

But its the way you posted it as a direct attack on Dale and his product. Sheesh!