• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

buying artwork

ontsigngirl

Hello all - finally named my business - and designed my logo - unfortunately the artwork I found requires a $300 license to use it. Keep in mind I've downloaded the vector art, no copyrights attached.

I want to do the right thing - I love the image - but I'm just starting out and can think of a ton of things I could use $300 for. Any thoughts? How can someone license artwork that is free for the taking off the web - no watermark - no copyright. I'm thinking I'd happily pay $100 - should I just suck it up and pay the $300?

Comments please.

Idea Design

Yikes. You've literally stepped in to a lion's den full of artists who routinely get paid by the hour or by the job for creating the very artwork you are speaking of here.

I don't fully understand this statement:

...and designed my logo - unfortunately the artwork I found...

What does this mean? How could you have designed a logo, yet are here seeking advice about whether or not to pay for artwork you pilfered off the net?

As the old saying goes, just because you can doesn't mean you should. There needs not be copyright or trademark symbols on artwork for someone to own it.

I'd tread very lightly.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
What you are stating makes no sense but it is obvious that it is not copyright free ... otherwise how did it get around to a $300 fee. Just because someone is careless and allows access to a file does not mean it is copyright free or that you can use it or should use it.

First off, if it is to be your logo or part of it, then you should have full ownership of all rights and it should not be available under any conditions to anyone else.

If you will provide a link to the source, it will be easier to comment in more depth. But the reality is that you shouldn't be looking for clipart to make your logo. If you do you will never be able to claim it as your creation.

unfortunately the artwork I found requires a $300 license to use it. Keep in mind I've downloaded the vector art, no copyrights attached.

Comments please.

Just because you can download it doesn't make it free.

Suck it up.

Just make sure you are paying the right person, if you downloaded it off one site and another site is charging for it you need to find the actual owner. Where did you download it from?

Marlene

pay the fee as that is what is required to use the artwork then get used to this as this is the world you have become a part of. what do you mean you would $100 but not the $300? is that how you shop in a store when you buy an item? do you look at a steak and see that it is $6.00 then tell the check out person that you will pay $1.00? the price is set and if you decide to use the art, pay it. if it's too much, then design something of your own.

ontsigngirl

I really could understand paying an artist to do artwork for a custom piece - I believe they should get paid for their talents - no arguments from me - but this art is seemingly free for anyone to take and use for whatever purpose they choose (they do state there are licenses required for different levels of uses - but who is enforcing them?)

I basically did a search for a bird - found an image I liked - contacted the site - asked how much - said it was too much - and that was it - don't really have any way of knowing who owns it. Even if I don't use it for a logo - every time I'm looking for an image this will become an issue since I'm not an illustrator and I'm sure I won't be able to afford custom illustrations every time.

I could have kept my mouth shut and just paid a $53 fee and no one would be the wiser or taken it for free since I already have the art in my possession. Even if I paid $300 to use it - it's not going to be exclusive to me - that's where the problem lies.

J Hill Designs

I really could understand paying an artist to do artwork for a custom piece - I believe they should get paid for their talents - no arguments from me - but this art is seemingly free for anyone to take and use for whatever purpose they choose (they do state there are licenses required for different levels of uses - but who is enforcing them?)

so an artist didnt make it or something?

but this art is seemingly free for anyone to take and use for whatever purpose they choose

You said it yourself.

So if I Google, lets say.... Miracle on 34th street, and find a place to download it for no charge, does that make it okay?

Pay for it or don't use it. You already know what's right.

Bigdawg

Just Me
Whoa Nelly.

For $300 you shouldn't even EXPECT custom artwork... and for an identity, that's pretty cheap. If you want custom art I know illustrators on this very board that will be happy to do something for you - but you better plan on 4 figures - not three.

Stealing is stealing. Period. If you don't pay the fee for licensing and use the artwork anyway... you are a thief. Simple as that. I'm not sure how you get around that part in your head...

Nothing personal - I don't know you or your morals/ideals. But that's the way I look at it.

Marlene

I basically did a search for a bird - found an image I liked - contacted the site - asked how much - said it was too much - and that was it - don't really have any way of knowing who owns it. Even if I don't use it for a logo - every time I'm looking for an image this will become an issue since I'm not an illustrator and I'm sure I won't be able to afford custom illustrations every time.

I could have kept my mouth shut and just paid a $53 fee and no one would be the wiser or taken it for free since I already have the art in my possession. Even if I paid $300 to use it - it's not going to be exclusive to me - that's where the problem lies.

seemed free yet stated clearly that there was a license required for different levels of use...what part of this are you just not getting? if you "find" artwork online and they state, very clearly that there is a fee to use it then pay the fee as required. if you are concerned that it won't be exclusive to you, then pay to have art designed for you. they never stated that once you pay the fee that you own it and you alone can use it.

what kind of business have you started?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, in life we often find things we want or need and although we don't want to pay the asking price, we must anyway.

This seems to be one of those times.

What you are saying is almost like walking into a pet store, seeing this bird and you think the bird is worth $100. and not the $300. the clerk is asking. So do you pay what you think.... or do the honest thing and pay the price and take it home for years of use ??

Only you can determine how much integrity you possess and do the right thing. Sure, no one is watching you, but is that how you want to start your career ??

I would imagine you already knew the answer.... or you wouldn't have come here looking for a way around it. So, you do understand right from wrong. Now..... exercise it. Keeping your mouth shut doesn't equate to doing the right thing. You can't bury your head in the sand.... forever.

:toasting: here's to the right thing !!

dwt

(they do state there are licenses required for different levels of uses - but who is enforcing them?)

You will find out when the artist/owner stumbles over it by accident.
The initial trip to your attorneys office will no doubt be much more than the $300 asking price.

CheapVehicleWrap

Years and year and years ago I found a super simple illustration of a bird online that I absolutely loved. It took a little legwork to figure out who's logo it was. Turn out to be the logo of the most similar company to WIPO that I've ever found. How ironic. You have me wondering it it's the SAME logo.

Border

If it's a legit artwork site then I believe that if you fully purchase that image at the highest level, then it SHOULD be removed from any further circulation...?

Don't do something shady now just because it's easy. It can and just might come back to cost you a great deal more in the end!