• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

buying artwork

petesign

Marlene, by paying that licensing fee, does that mean you can use their logo on anything you sell.. or are you limited to that category?

Marlene

Marlene, by paying that licensing fee, does that mean you can use their logo on anything you sell.. or are you limited to that category?

no, it isn't a blanket use fee, it is for the intended use we have to submit. this same university has a main logo they use and they also have ones for the athletics. on a side note, we also have to pay a fee to park up there so we can install the signs.

petesign

LOL! If they were smart, they could just order a bunch of small signs from you and make a tidy profit over the year :D

Marlene

we do a ton of stuff for them each year so it's OK. the point is, we have to play by rules that suck for the most part but it's just part of the business.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I hope I'm replying to this correctly

Thanks for your input - I did try to work around the concept - but didn't feel I
I made it different enough to feel good about calling it mine. It would be easy to pass off the "new" and improved look to someone who has never seen it before but when they're side by side you know it's a copy. So...I will either eliminate the bird or get someone to create it for me. This discussion made me think a lot about my business identity in general - I'm not sure what I'm trying to create for myself can even be called a logo - I don't expect to ever go Global - not looking to create a corporate identity package that is recognized world wide - really just want a way to be identified locally - and hopefully be happy making a decent living.

thanks again

Let me start by saying I am a publisher of clip art. I firmly believe that one should NEVER use clip art as part of a logo or any other work in which you would want to claim all rights. there is no such things as modifying it enough to "make it yours". That is a myth because the outcome it is still a derivative of the original and forbidden by 999 out of 1,000 licenses.

What you can and should do is to use an image you think would work for you as an inspiration. And then sit down and draw something (or hire someone to draw it) based on that inspiration.

Just because you have only local ambitions isn't a reason to shrug off the advice I'm giving. Let me relate a true story ...

A few years ago we did a lot of work for a new customer named Cousin Vinny's Italian Buffet. He provided us with a CD containing his corporate identity that he had proudly paid the "designer" $3,000 for. Here's what he got for his money:

CV Color.jpg

A couple of months after he opened, I noticed a night club sign (that changes hands two or three times a year) that I drive by everyday to work had changed hands again. This time it was called The Rendezvous and there was the same image of the guy in the same oval ... except this time he had a cigarette in his mouth.

I phoned Vinny when I got to work to see if he needed anything for his new venture. He knew nothing about it and had no connection with it.

His restaurant was located less than two miles from the new night club. The conclusion I had jumped to was an easy one to make and Vinny tried to assert his rights. What he quickly found out was that neither he nor the night club had any rights to their "logos" and any confusion that might result was theirs to bear.

The "designer" could not be found.

Billct2

Marlene, that is bizarre! The only reason they get away with it is because they're a big client in a small market area. And it's stupid, they end up paying you to pay them to use their own logo!

JR's

Does anyone remember the movie airplane. You know when the person was hysterical and they had a line of people slapping her. And the line just kept on getting bigger and bigger, this thread reminds me of that scene in the movie. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0GW0Vnr9Yc

I wish people would read the thread better. She stated (I want to do the right thing ) and she was bitching about the price of the vector artwork. People complain about the price of everything.
You see the price of gas it's almost 3 dollars a gallon.
Have you gone to the movies lately oh my God I had to sell my two kids my right leg to get a ticket.

Then she asked what's your thoughts (Any thoughts) then she asked how can some one license art work that is free for the taking off the web no watermarks no copyright. It was a question that I think she did not get an answer for. Then she states she would be happy paying hundred dollars. I assume her budget for her art work was $100 or she would feel comfortable paying $100 for the artwork. (I'm thinking I'd happily pay $100 - should I just suck it up and pay the $300?) But she does say she could scrape up to $300.

I think if you ask around to have some artwork drawn up and you mentioned that your budget is $100 I am sure you'll get some takers.
A pretty good thread and very informative I am just sorry to see you get beat up for something that you did not say or do.

JR

PS I still don't know what Pas was talking about. ;-}

Last edited:

Marlene

Marlene, that is bizarre! The only reason they get away with it is because they're a big client in a small market area. And it's stupid, they end up paying you to pay them to use their own logo!

colleges and universities do license their logo as they have companies that handle that part of it for them and it's to these guys that we have to pay a fee. it makes sense as they need to approve of the use. it would be OK to have tee-shirts with the logo on it but they sure wouldn't want a bong with the logo. the company that handles the license fee bulks us in with all the rest which, to be honest, really isn't fair as we aren't setting up a store in town making a profit off from items with the logo. we pay the fee, also that damn parking fee, each year but you can bet that in the end it is the university that really pays for it as it becomes part of the price to manufacture the signs and they get billed for it. the whole thing is stupid but like a lot of stuff we have to do as sign people, we do it as that is what is required.

Marlene

Does anyone remember the movie airplane. You know when the person was hysterical and they had a line of people slapping her. And the line just kept on getting bigger and bigger, this thread reminds me of that scene in the movie.

:ROFLMAO: yes, it is like that isn't it!

GypsyGraphics

GG did you get your phone head peace all set? I came across this while Christmas shopping.
VTech - DECT 6.0 Expandable Cordless Phone System with Digital Answering System and Wireless Headset
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/VTech+-...dset/1085534.p?id=1218218193734&skuId=1085534
JR
PS your welome. (thanks for cracking me up JR!!!!)

oh shame on me for not going back to my own thread and posting the outcome. i'll go do it there... so i don't interrupt this little party.

ontsigngirl

this is how we learn

sorry if I came across as a real bitch but we see so many of these kinds of threads where someone new comes into our industry without a clue and then proceeds to act all bummed out by the rules we all have to live with.

I realize you have no idea where I'm coming from - I could be soccer mom wanting to make stickers for her van as someone said to me (or something to that effect) in another thread. I'm not completely new to this industry - I've been in Graphics for 20 years but I don't know everything - don't expect I ever will - I think a nice policy might be to give people the benefit of the doubt for the 1st couple of times then gives them their reward (or punishment).

I posed the question because I thought I was in a forum of "like minded" people - I'm sure it annoys other people here who are charged a custom rate for an assembly line product. WE make decisions every day wether or not something is worth it to us - we wouldn't pay the same price for a melamine cabinet at Home Depot that we would be willing to pay for the finest solid wood cabinet - they are both worth a price but not the same.

Anyway, I enjoy having a place to voice my opinion and to hear other peoples - I'm sure this will end up being a good place to be (most of the time).

Last edited by a moderator:

Gene@mpls

sorry if I came across as a real bitch but we see so many of these kinds of threads where someone new comes into our industry without a clue and then proceeds to act all bummed out by the rules we all have to live with.

I realize you have no idea where I'm coming from - I could be soccer mom wanting to make stickers for her van as someone said to me (or something to that effect) in another thread. I'm not completely new to this industry - I've been in Graphics for 20 years but I don't know everything - don't expect I ever will - I think a nice policy might be to give people the benefit of the doubt for the 1st couple of times then gives them their reward (or punishment).

I posed the question because I thought I was in a forum of "like minded" people - I'm sure it annoys other people here who are charged a custom rate for an assembly line product. WE make decisions every day wether or not something is worth it to us - we wouldn't pay the same price for a melamine cabinet at Home Depot that we would be willing to pay for the finest solid wood cabinet - they are both worth a price but not the same.

Anyway, I enjoy having a place to voice my opinion and to hear other peoples - I'm sure this will end up being a good place to be (most of the time).

Honey- I'm afraid you are mistaking us for civil human beings rather
than the bloodthirsty wolves that hang here. Sorry Gene

Bigdawg

Just Me

The difference is you wouldn't pay for the melamine cabinet but take the solid wood one. I hope you understand at least that.

Your OP seemed to indicate YOU thought the price was too high - therefore you would use the art, and maybe pay the smaller fee, but not pay the $300. If I misunderstood I'm sorry. But the customer (you) doesn't set the price... the creator does. And if you snag some art... and the price is $300 to use it in the way you want... it really doesn't matter if you still want it at the lower price. You don't set the price.

Now deciding that you can't/won't/don't wanna pay for $300 art and then you stop using it is a whole 'nother story. You had a decision to make (pay for the art or not) and the consequences of choosing not to pay the fee is not being able to use the art. That is the ONLY part of this equation that you need to make a decision about. The rest isn't your decision to make.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.