• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Can I Apply Laminated Cast Prints Wet?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I don't like it anymore. My shop was an utter mess back when I made it and doesn't look like that anymore. I'll make another one that is less embarrassing... I'll smile more in the next one.

As for the big squeegee... I really tried to give it a go many times but never felt like I got the feel for it. It felt like I couldn't give it the right pressure and was awkward to use. I would end up standing on the table and walking over the sign to get it to finish. It did apply faster but I would have a bunch of bubbles everywhere. I know there is a learning curve to new things but I just wasn't picking it up on this one.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
A learning curve to using a big squeegee ?? C'mon now. If you ever get a printer or some really piece of equipment..... you'll never learn, if the big squeegee stumped you.

Put the video back up. It's not nice to tease us like that. Who cares if the shop is messy ?? Just don't film the bathroom.

player

I was at a shop that uses the big squeegee a lot the other day. They don't like using it on big laminated pieces. It gets "jittery" and can jump. They also always have two people (one on each side) of the 50" squeegee. Finally they seem to get some wrinkles and bubbling especially at the end. Still pretty amazing to see how fast, easy and professional the big squeegee is.

equippaint

I don't like it anymore. My shop was an utter mess back when I made it and doesn't look like that anymore. I'll make another one that is less embarrassing... I'll smile more in the next one.

As for the big squeegee... I really tried to give it a go many times but never felt like I got the feel for it. It felt like I couldn't give it the right pressure and was awkward to use. I would end up standing on the table and walking over the sign to get it to finish. It did apply faster but I would have a bunch of bubbles everywhere. I know there is a learning curve to new things but I just wasn't picking it up on this one.
I agree on the bs, its awkward but more power to anyone else that thinks differently. I only use the big squeegee for transfer tape anymore, just as a squeegee.
Post the video back up, it was a good way to mount. Your shop looked pretty clean on my end too

ams

3951 Commandform is NOT an air egress vinyl, Yes it can be applied wet.
3951RA (Rapid Air) IS an airegress vinyl and should not be applied wet.

Wet apply is a trick for beginners. A lot of sign companies don't squeegee all of the liquid out and causes it to fail. It can also add 2X to 3X the time to lay down. Some vinyls are wet apply only like etched glass which is fine, it works well. But to wet apply just any vinyl just because you can or want to is awful.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Okay. Is it still fresh ?? Maybe I'll send ya my address and ya can send it to me.

Probably no one here anymore remembers, but there was a time on this forum, people would send each other pizzas, and other kinds of food as payment for things..... or just a nice gesture. Guess those days are gone with the level of friendliness which exists within these walls.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Okay. Is it still fresh ?? Maybe I'll send ya my address and ya can send it to me.

Probably no one here anymore remembers, but there was a time on this forum, people would send each other pizzas, and other kinds of food as payment for things..... or just a nice gesture. Guess those days are gone with the level of friendliness which exists within these walls.

I got your address and it's in my mailbox. I couldn't bring myself to spring for priority shipping, so you may get it by the end of the week. I threw in the 5 sauces.. can't touch them now that I'm glutton free.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I don't need it quickly, just so I get it. Remember, it's the thought that counts, not the condition of the stuff.

I'll be out on Friday. Having knee surgery. So, if it comes then, it will be kinda stinky by Monday, when they come back to deliver, unless Jeremy accepsts it. If it smells too much, he might refuse it. He's a pretty smart cookie.

letterman7

Here it is edited.... I feel less awkward with this one. Forgive the stuff against the wall, I've cleaned that all up. From start to finish it took 8 mins.

Looks good to me! I like the tube trick for the media.. I'll have to remember that.

Wet apply is a trick for beginners. A lot of sign companies don't squeegee all of the liquid out and causes it to fail. It can also add 2X to 3X the time to lay down. Some vinyls are wet apply only like etched glass which is fine, it works well. But to wet apply just any vinyl just because you can or want to is awful.

Bullshit. I've been doing this for 25 years and still apply when the situation needs it. There's no shame in a wet install, those that say they can install anything, anywhere, dry without bubbles or wrinkles (non-air release) are straight up lying out their ass

Gino

Premium Subscriber
As mentioned, this stuff is not air egress, unless the OP wrote it wrong. Nothing wrong with using a wet method, but for doing just 2, I would double up and have each one done in about 2 or 3 minutes.

On another note....... tex, your video demonstration....... is that air egress or regular vinyl ??​