Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Can I Apply Laminated Cast Prints Wet?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by player, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Johnny Best

Johnny Best Very Active Member

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    Loved the video Tex. Keep up the good work.

2. Johnny Best

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    What happened to Texas's video? It seems to be unable to open.

3. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
  4. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    I don't like it anymore. My shop was an utter mess back when I made it and doesn't look like that anymore. I'll make another one that is less embarrassing... I'll smile more in the next one.

As for the big squeegee... I really tried to give it a go many times but never felt like I got the feel for it. It felt like I couldn't give it the right pressure and was awkward to use. I would end up standing on the table and walking over the sign to get it to finish. It did apply faster but I would have a bunch of bubbles everywhere. I know there is a learning curve to new things but I just wasn't picking it up on this one.

5. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    A learning curve to using a big squeegee ?? C'mon now. If you ever get a printer or some really piece of equipment..... you'll never learn, if the big squeegee stumped you.

Put the video back up. It's not nice to tease us like that. Who cares if the shop is messy ?? Just don't film the bathroom.

6. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    I was at a shop that uses the big squeegee a lot the other day. They don't like using it on big laminated pieces. It gets "jittery" and can jump. They also always have two people (one on each side) of the 50" squeegee. Finally they seem to get some wrinkles and bubbling especially at the end. Still pretty amazing to see how fast, easy and professional the big squeegee is.

7. equippaint

equippaint Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    I agree on the bs, its awkward but more power to anyone else that thinks differently. I only use the big squeegee for transfer tape anymore, just as a squeegee.
    Post the video back up, it was a good way to mount. Your shop looked pretty clean on my end too

8. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    Here it is edited.... I feel less awkward with this one. Forgive the stuff against the wall, I've cleaned that all up. From start to finish it took 8 mins.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
    • Like Like x 3
  9. ams

ams Very Active Member

Oct 28, 2010
    Virginia
    Wet apply is a trick for beginners. A lot of sign companies don't squeegee all of the liquid out and causes it to fail. It can also add 2X to 3X the time to lay down. Some vinyls are wet apply only like etched glass which is fine, it works well. But to wet apply just any vinyl just because you can or want to is awful.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Where's the frig with my wrapped up salmon sandwich in it ??

• Like Like x 1
  11. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    I put the salmon in the room you asked me not to film.

12. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Okay. Is it still fresh ?? Maybe I'll send ya my address and ya can send it to me.

Probably no one here anymore remembers, but there was a time on this forum, people would send each other pizzas, and other kinds of food as payment for things..... or just a nice gesture. Guess those days are gone with the level of friendliness which exists within these walls.

• I Appreciate You I Appreciate You x 1
  13. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    I got your address and it's in my mailbox. I couldn't bring myself to spring for priority shipping, so you may get it by the end of the week. I threw in the 5 sauces.. can't touch them now that I'm glutton free.

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  14. Johnny Best

Dec 9, 2015
    buffalo ny
    You are really fast.

• OMG / Wow! OMG / Wow! x 1
  15. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    I don't need it quickly, just so I get it. Remember, it's the thought that counts, not the condition of the stuff.

I'll be out on Friday. Having knee surgery. So, if it comes then, it will be kinda stinky by Monday, when they come back to deliver, unless Jeremy accepsts it. If it smells too much, he might refuse it. He's a pretty smart cookie.

16. DerbyCitySignGuy

DerbyCitySignGuy Active Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    This made me appreciate our crummy laminator. I'll never complain about it again.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  17. letterman7

letterman7 Very Active Member

Nov 10, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Looks good to me! I like the tube trick for the media.. I'll have to remember that.

Bullshit. I've been doing this for 25 years and still apply when the situation needs it. There's no shame in a wet install, those that say they can install anything, anywhere, dry without bubbles or wrinkles (non-air release) are straight up lying out their ***

• Agree Agree x 6
  18. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    As mentioned, this stuff is not air egress, unless the OP wrote it wrong. Nothing wrong with using a wet method, but for doing just 2, I would double up and have each one done in about 2 or 3 minutes.

On another note....... tex, your video demonstration....... is that air egress or regular vinyl ??​

19. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    ij35c

20. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Alrighty then...... try using your method with vinyl, which does not have, the air egress adhesive. See what your time on that would be. I think you'll have an altogether different opinion. Hence, why the OP has questions.