• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Can I Apply Laminated Cast Prints Wet?

Johnny Best

Something fishy here Gino.
The OP is wondering if they can apply 3951 with cast overlam wet. The answer is yes, but it is rough by yourself unless you have a laminator and use the Rapid product and hinge method. Just make sure to get all the liquid out from underneath.
Having someone to help you is a big plus.

iraney

Oracal 3951 has a solvent based adhesive you should never wet apply that the water will not be absorbed into the adhesive since they don't mix it will fail over time since some of the water will be trapped and just expand due to heat.

equippaint

Oracal 3951 has a solvent based adhesive you should never wet apply that the water will not be absorbed into the adhesive since they don't mix it will fail over time since some of the water will be trapped and just expand due to heat.
Every bit of this statement is nonsense.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

I've never heard of that theory or assessment since I've been laying vinyl from about 1984. Care to elaborate ??

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Something fishy here Gino.
The OP is wondering if they can apply 3951 with cast overlam wet. The answer is yes, but it is rough by yourself unless you have a laminator and use the Rapid product and hinge method. Just make sure to get all the liquid out from underneath.
Having someone to help you is a big plus.

When I said double up, I meant have a second person with a big squeegee. Seems the OP has printed on a vinyl without air egress, laminated it and wants the easiest solution to applying 2- 4 x 8's. I would choose the big squeegee and a helper. No helper available...... ?? Struggle doing it yourself or put it through the laminator. The helper part IS a big plus, believe me, I know.

iraney

I've never heard of that theory or assessment since I've been laying vinyl from about 1984. Care to elaborate ??
most if not all gray adhesives is a solvent based adhesive and solvent and water don't mix most clear adhesive like Oracal 751 vinyl is a water base adhesive so wet app all day the glue will absorb some of the water over time will eventually evaporate check the oracal website on the material it will say if it's solvent or water base adhesive.

letterman7

most if not all gray adhesives is a solvent based adhesive and solvent and water don't mix most clear adhesive like Oracal 751 vinyl is a water base adhesive so wet app all day the glue will absorb some of the water over time will eventually evaporate check the oracal website on the material it will say if it's solvent or water base adhesive.

You need to check your facts. Printed right on the Oracal color chart: 951 / 751 series cast: Adhesive:: Solvent Polyacrylate Oracal 631 has the "water" based adhesive and is meant for short term indoor signage only.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

That's exactly the combination you want when using a wet method for slippage and moving about. The idea behind the solvent is.... IT WON'T mix. When you use the wet method, upon getting to the squeegeeing the water out, you try your hardest to get ALL the water out. You do it as hard as you can without tearing/ripping the vinyl. You don't let water trapped underneath it. It hasta come out.... completely. A great trick is to wet the top side of the vinyl, so your squeegee glides smoothly over it. You don't want your adhesive to blend with the water. That will dilute it and I believe you are talking about a totally different kind of application.

The science is....... the water allows some positioning and repositioning time before it begins to stick 100%. Just be sure it's completely clean and doesn't leave any debris behind.

player

OP here. Mine was air egress.
When I said double up, I meant have a second person with a big squeegee. Seems the OP has printed on a vinyl without air egress, laminated it and wants the easiest solution to applying 2- 4 x 8's. I would choose the big squeegee and a helper. No helper available...... ?? Struggle doing it yourself or put it through the laminator. The helper part IS a big plus, believe me, I know.
I forgot in the OP to say it WAS air egress. 395iGRA.

I used my laminator. Dry of course. With a helper. I was just wondering if I could apply wet by myself if I had to. The video that was kindly posted would be a much more efficient way to do it by myself if I had to. I will keep it in mind.

Does anyone know what that squeegee was he used?

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker

I used my laminator. Dry of course. With a helper. I was just wondering if I could apply wet by myself if I had to. The video that was kindly posted would be a much more efficient way to do it by myself if I had to. I will keep it in mind.

Glad the video helped someone. The squeegee is called the The Bill Collector. I use it for almost all squeegeeing..it's saved my wrist... and lets me reach all the way over to 4'.

Bill Collector Squeegee by Wrap Mafia | FELLERS

Sign Works

My answer is no. Since it has commandform, it would trap the liquid in and fail. Most printable vinyls you should only apply dry. Why would you want to wet apply it?
4' X 8's are extremely easy to lay down if you do it the proper way. Also some people do the dish soap route, but I won't, I use Rapid Tac for any wet apply application. I trust a professional product made for vinyl adhesive over trying to mix something myself and getting it wrong.

"A professional product" huh? You do realize a couple of old sign guys kidding around one day said hey "I'll bet we could throw some food coloring and vanilla scent in here, slap a label on it and sell this shit for 30 bucks a bottle" Long story short, one of them did, I don't think he's running a sign shop any longer.

Last edited:

ams

"A professional product" huh? You do realize a couple of old sign guys kidding around one day said hey "I'll bet we could throw some food coloring and vanilla scent in here, slap a label on it and sell this shit for 30 bucks a bottle" Long story short, one of them did, I don't think he's running a sign shop any longer.

Mock if you want, but it works and the stuff is great.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Okay, that changes just about everything..... except the theory on the scientifics of water and adhesive relativity.

player

Mock if you want, but it works and the stuff is great.
He is not mocking you, only telling you that before the internet, if you wanted to wet apply, you used a couple of drops of dish soap in a gallon of water. Standard way of doing things. Rapid Tack is nothing more than that plus a vanilla smell. So you can pay big money for a couple of drops of dish soap or make your own. Same thing.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

You do realize, Roger was never a sign person..... just a heck of a salesman. Just ask him. :u rock:

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
He is not mocking you, only telling you that before the internet, if you wanted to wet apply, you used a couple of drops of dish soap in a gallon of water. Standard way of doing things. Rapid Tack is nothing more than that plus a vanilla smell. So you can pay big money for a couple of drops of dish soap or make your own. Same thing.

By gosh you're right.....o_O

Attachments

• RAPIDTAC.jpg
    RAPIDTAC.jpg
    181.7 KB · Views: 336