Welcome To Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals

Signs101.com: Largest Forum for Signmaking Professionals is the LARGEST online community & discussion forum for professional sign-makers and graphic designers.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Need Help Can I Apply Laminated Cast Prints Wet?

Discussion in 'General Signmaking Topics' started by player, Jun 9, 2018.

1. Andy D

Andy D Very Active Member

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I will be the odd man out, I apply 3M IJ35 air egress vinyl all the time wet and get perfect results with no failures.
    I have been doing it this way, with this vinyl for 10 plus years (I Believe) and never had an issue.

2. a77

a77 Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Canada
    Just curious, for what reason would you apply it "all the time wet" ?

I had another shop help me with some signboards, and he applied some wet... no issues 5 years later, so I know it's OK if you get all the liquid out.

3. equippaint

equippaint Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    Ill do it if its really windy and Im by myself or when the surface is really hot. We use cheap family dollar window cleaner and have never had a failure either.

4. Texas_Signmaker

Texas_Signmaker Very Active Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    Would there be anything wrong with using alcohol? I've used it on etched glass that I didn't want to wait around forever for and I've never noticed anything wrong with it...but I don't do this often.

5. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    I would not use alcohol as it is a solvent and will attack the glue, the vinyl and the inks. (potentially)

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. DerbyCitySignGuy

DerbyCitySignGuy Active Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    Unless you're spraying the alcohol directly on the adhesive there is virtually no chance of that happening. We clean almost everything with 91% or 70% IPA before we apply anything.

7. eahicks

eahicks Very Active Member

Apr 17, 2012
    DALLAS, TEXAS
    Cleaning the surface and soaking for application are two different things. DO NOT use alcohol as an application fluid.

• Like Like x 1
  8. player

player Major Contributor

Apr 24, 2006
    Toronto
    Try spraying 99% ipa on the adhesive side of the vinyl, then totally soak the substrate. Then mount the vinyl and see how it works.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    I can apply graphics by myself... and not to sound boastful.. but I can apply a 4' x 8' or larger graphic wet, by myself, in less time, with less trash & no stretching or drifting
    than most shops can using two people.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
  10. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    How long does it take you?

11. a77

a77 Member

Jul 8, 2011
    Canada
    I think that's the idea with air release... when done properly one person should be able to apply 4'x8' one person - dry.
    All you really have to do is start straight.
    Same thing with wall mural panels, start straight, end straight.

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Good question... I will have to time myself sometime.
    If I had to guess, from the time I have my graphic in place & squared up, it probably takes 10-15 (maybe 20) minutes to apply a 4'x8'
    graphic.

13. equippaint

equippaint Active Member

Oct 10, 2014
    Florida
    I'm missing something here? Tx did it in 8 mins on his video by himself, granted he gained a little speed by quickly destroying the plastic liner.

My helper and I can line up and mount with a laminator in a couple minutes

14. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    I guess you didn't see my video in an earlier post. It's running at 4x so the original was 8 min from start to finish.

15. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA
    Oh, that's really long. Even I'm faster than that. When we double team it, it's just 2, maybe 3 minutes, including lining up the bottom end. By oneself, maybe 3 or 4 minutes. Line it up, put the roll in the big squeegee and walk down. If by yourself, like someone said, either do it on the floor or climb up on the table. The hardest part is keeping the liner off the substrate, thus creating static and slowing you down.

Again, this is only for doing a few. I wouldn't want to do a dozen like this, although we did years ago, before we had a laminator.​

16. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    That's how I would do it too if we had a decent 2nd laminator, but I keep lamination loaded up on mine all the time.
    Like I said, I have never timed myself, so I might have guessed high... and again, I don't have a helper.

17. Texas_Signmaker

Oct 21, 2016
    DFW
    If I can't get it off in two yanks then I'm dicking around

• Like Like x 1
  18. Andy D

Oct 20, 2014
    Hattiesburg, MS
    Are we still talking about applying vinyl or are you referring to your sex life? :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Gino

Gino Major Contributor

Jun 7, 2006
    PA

Nah, he refers to it as his salmon sandwich with 5 sauces. That's just code for him.

• Like Like x 1
  20. DerbyCitySignGuy

DerbyCitySignGuy Active Member

Dec 12, 2013
    Kentucky
    I went back and read it again, I thought he was referring to cleaning the surface before wet applying. I wouldn't recommend doing a wet apply with alcohol.