• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Corel Draw or Adobe which do you prefer?

cleanmywound

A wise man once said, "Perception is Reality".

Such is the case here, Illy and PhotoShop are perceived to be the standard, therefore they are.

We use Illy, and photo, and CorelDraw for Screen Printing(in that order).

westcoastlocal

You should use as many as you can get your hands on , illy,ps,corel,flexi,they each have there time and place, the key is make it easy for your client and never talk bad about what they use its just bad form, so be flexible and build your arsenal, im sure if you look hard enough you can get them all for the right price ;)

SignManiac

They both get the job done. Corel is a less expensive entrance price to pay, and easier to learn in my opinion. Good example, Corel uses terms like outline when you want an outline around your letter. I believe Adobe calls it a stroke. That never made sense to me? Sounds dumb to me.

I personally don't think it matters what you use. You can master either one and still turn out inferior sub par "design" work. Adobe products appears to be the front leader amongst "graphic artists" and I see some horrible work being turned out by these college educated graphic designers.

Neither product is worth a nickle if you don't have the creative talent to take advantage of the tools each software package offers. There's an old saying in this business, Garbage in - Garbage out. It's been true for all these years I've been using computers and it's still true today. I have shops around me with the best software and equipment money can buy, and the work they put out makes my eyes bleed. Some of them should have learned to use a pencil and paper first.

signmeup

Good example, Corel uses terms like outline when you want an outline around your letter. I believe Adobe calls it a stroke.
Sometimes I want an outline.... I never want a stroke. (this is a really old thread BTW)

The one I hate with every fiber of my being is, "describe a path". HATE HATE HATE!!!! I will never, ever "describe a path"! EVER!!! I will draw a line though....... (and Helvetica capital R's suck!!) ......twitch

jiarby

Hey iSign...

<sarcasm>Do youself a favor now iSign... quit calling it Corel. That's a sure sign of not being familiar about what you are speaking of, which is never good with customers. Corel makes software, and several different types of software at that, so if you are talking about CorelDRAW, call it that (not just Corel)@!</sarcasm>

LOL!

I prefer CorelDRAW... and am addicted to the middle mouse wheel zoom in feature. I love to quickly zoom in to manipulate node placement. It is frustrating to me to not be able to do that when I draw in Illy. I also love wireframe view!

I hate Corel's import filters... they really can f%$#ck up a PDF file sometimes. I really hate customers that send me AI files with compression turned on. Then I have to open it in AI, uncheck the compression box, save the file and THEN import it into CorelDRAW. UGH. Those same custys always seem to be LINKING external files in ILLY instead of embedding them. Then they send me the AI file and it is missing half the objects.

Last edited:

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Those same custys always seem to be LINKING external files in ILLY instead of embedding them. Then they send me the AI file and it is missing half the objects.

I believe that linking is usually the preferred method. That way you can edit the linked file if necessary. Once it is embedded you lose the ability to color manage and if it is a layered photoshop file, you cannot make those edits to an embedded image. Forgetting to include linked files is a stupid or lazy designer.

royster13

I have both Illustrator and Corel Draw but my Corel Draw is used less frequently these days and is now many versions behind...

Joe Diaz

I like Corel. And yeah sometimes I call it Corel instead of CorelDraw. Mainly because I'm lazy when it comes to calling things by their name. :Big Laugh

I was kind of raised on Corel, and every time I use illy or flexi or whatever, It feels like taking tweezers to my nose hairs. I'm sure they are great and can do every thing Corel can, but I just feel more comfortable with Corel.

I just drew this this morning:

diazmedia faces.jpg

Took less than an hour and I had fun doing it. So I really don't care what the industry standard is, or what others are using, or what those other people think about Corel. I know it's just a tool and a tool that I am very happy with.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ha, this thread is over two years old. I wonder if anyone's views have changed since they first posted ??

I started out on Corel because that's all that was available back in the 80's. Got pretty good with it, but never exceptional. Early in the 90's more and more people talked about this Mac program that started successfully supporting windows and as more and more users of this Mac program took hold, we switched... back around 1995 or so. Never looked back. I have a warm spot in my heart for Corel for it got my feet wet in digital and graphics, but Adobe products in my opinion have just passed Corel by for some time.

I kinda compare it to Volkswagen to Porsche. They are almost identical. It's all in how you market them and what you feel is necessary. Cost or mechanics ??

Jackpine

As Joe says...." So I really don't care what the industry standard is, or what others are using, or what those other people think about Corel. I know it's just a tool and a tool that I am very happy with."
I started with CorelDRAW version1, on X3 and still am learning...it works for me.

Techman

Industry standard? For what? File formats or software?
There is no "industry standard" that I l know of that fits every industry.

The industry standards are TIFF, EPS, AI and PDF formated files.

To make those formats in my world.. corel draw is the king.
But each software has its place. I rarely use illy. I use Corel daily along with its many plugins that make it a world class software.

Locally some places demand MAC only files with a fee charged for non MAC files. So be it. That forces more than they admit to use non local shops who accept industry standard file formats rather than platform. I just printed 10,000 insert fliers out of area because of their unreasonable demands. (They demand MAC because they say it stops the nephew artists)

I Corel for signs, I use Corel for CNC work and I use it for print ads lay outs.

Some say illy. But with more print shop asking for PDF files now it makes no difference who or what utility makes that PDF file.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I must disagree a bit. Some eps files and ai files exported out of Corel, Freehand or others do not always play well with Illustrator. The reverse is also true though. There are effects that Illustrator produces, that do not translate into Corel properly

I think that some shops turn away non Illustrator eps and ai files for just this reason. Even pdfs are not consistent. You can produce a pdf from Word, Powerpoint, Publisher, Openoffice, etc, etc but they are not always usable.

"Deposit Please"

I use illy & photoshop, wouldn't have it any other way. It's pricier and there's a bigger learning curve, but at the end, very rewarding for me.
Corel is much more user friendly & costs less. I think you can download a trial version to see if you like it.

showcase 66

I use illustrator and photoshop. I really dont care for corel. Probably because I learned illy and photoshop and not corel. I have talked to others who hate illy and love corel. I have a version of corel on a computer but I havent used it in a year or so. I think it is up to the user and what they are comfortable with it.

WildWestDesigns

To me it's Illustrator all the way. I actually rarely use Photoshop except when I need to crop exported pictures to show clients. I almost exclusively work in Illustrator. Now my Embroidery CAD program was done with a partnership with Coral and it is also Vector based, but it still handles Ai files, so I have no problem there.

It really doesn't matter if something is in industry standard becaus of perception or not. I also wouldn't say "industry standard by damned(or words to that affect)" as that will get you left behind in a hurry if you happen to support something that isn't widely used.

I have not had one thing turned down because I was using Illustrator. Now they might have needed a legacy format versus the native CS4 Ai format that I use, but they still wanted Illustrator over Draw. Now granted, I could be limited with my experience versus some others on here, but that has just been my experience thus far.

On a side note these Illustrator v. Draw threads remind me of the gasser v. diesel(where I stand) threads in the automotive forums I belong to.

anotherdog

my god this thread won't die.

I have used both since the early days (illustrator 88. CorelD 3, Aldus Freehand), Corel was always more of a suite, however adobe produced the better postscript. Anyone in the print industry 20 years should remember the problems with bad postscript errors in RIPs. I liked photopaint, it had a lot more flexibility, but again photoshop grew to be more stable.

I guess now adobe is the standard. We keep a copy of Corel up to date, but to be honest we get more (blasted) Publisher files than Corel. Plus almost all college trained designers these days come out with adobe skills.

Adobe grew matured and became the evil establishment, just like Microsoft.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
My current issue with Adobe is their upgrade policy. I have cs3 Illustrator as part of the Adobe suite. I only want to upgrade Illustrator to cs5 since I rarely use Indesign or Photoshop. The only way I can upgrade Illustrator is to buy the full version of Illustrator cs5 for $599 or the upgrade my current cs3 suite for $799. I cannot take advantage of the $199 upgrade price now or ever