• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DC-3 Plane with Earth with a can sign with Raised letters.

RogueRoller

For the shops that only do stickers on a sub-straights, this sign could have been done. Put it on some di-bond printed two sides and charge the customer $500-$900 depending on where you are located. I did this in Full 3D and made it look like a attraction to stop cars. I charge for your skills plus a sign that works. This sign was for the Oregon Coast, sits up on a like 5 post wrapped in large ships rope. Giving it a Ships dock feel. all i did was the sign did not instal and this sign cost over $3800. Only took a day to make. Yes my customers know that it may only take me 8-10 Hrs. They also know I am the only one that can do what I do this fast. When there sign goes up people ask about there sign. This proving there sign is working to get people inside there business.

Attachments

• burgers.jpg
    burgers.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 132
  • Burgers2.jpg
    Burgers2.jpg
    248.9 KB · Views: 127

RogueRoller

Yep I'd say you've found your niche!

Well Like I said I do this Part Time. My manufacturing company for the Rogue Roller (sign making machine) takes a lot of my time. Plus I do my work shops for helping other sign shops break the out of there mold. so when I do get in the studio I must say I am in Heaven here on earth. I just finished up a series of Statues for breast cancer awareness. It was my own design and was a donation of 75 6'4" Statues. To help ladies get checkups. they sold at auctions around the us from $900-$4300 each. I have found by helping others it only brings me more work and my name gets out farther and farther. I get people all over the world asking me to do a sign for them. Not because I'm popular because my work is different every time and never the same.

Attachments

• angel1.jpg
    angel1.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 136
  • angel.jpg
    angel.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 119

RogueRoller

I did this sign for a client on Sign-Foam 15 LBS. there were no tools other then a jig saw sand paper and paint brushes. A sign like this can make a sign shop get noticed. If one practices you can do a sign like this in under a hour and a half. A sign like this should go for no less then $500 tops $750. so you see i don't always do full 3D. Although I do think this sign would be really cool with the duck coming out of the sign. LOL

Attachments

• duck1.jpg
    duck1.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 149
  • duck2.jpg
    duck2.jpg
    327.1 KB · Views: 139
  • Duck3.jpg
    Duck3.jpg
    370 KB · Views: 137

RogueRoller

Here is a good example of how I use my vinyl cutter Graf-t 7000 The panels on the sign are di-bone with vinyl. so as his industry changes he too can change his sign. the store front had these metal industrial I-beams coming out to make up the awning. (they would hold a elephant) But the store fronts had no place to put a sign other then graphics in the window. My marque Slid onto the awning making it look like the building was made for his store. Plus it really gave it a retro look. The City of Portland Loved it and the landlord could not believe how well it made his new building look. The client could not have ben more happy.

Attachments

• disk1.jpg
    disk1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 129
  • disk2.jpg
    disk2.jpg
    280 KB · Views: 118
  • disk3.jpg
    disk3.jpg
    385.3 KB · Views: 141

RogueRoller

I do use a computer to design My work out. I sketch on a Wacom screen and use what ever software I need for the job that I need to design. Plus I do have a wide format printer and vinyl cutters. I feel one needs these to stay in todays market. I just don't only use them alone day in and day out hoping to stay ahead of the other sign shops. Here is a pic of my design center there is more to it but this is what I use mainly.

Attachments

• design-center.jpg
    design-center.jpg
    379.2 KB · Views: 136

Ken

I didn't catch your name, but thanks for showing us some of your work. Really cool stuff!
Ken

briankb

Premium Subscriber
Do you have formal training in sculpting? I never thought I could draw until I started playing DrawSomthing on my iPad. I still can't draw but I made noticeable improvements in a week or two. Being able to sketch what is in my brain would help a lot in my sign work and discussing things with our designer. Obviously some people just have natural abilities so I'm wondering how you came to have such awesome sculpting skills.

RogueRoller

Do you have formal training in sculpting? I never thought I could draw until I started playing DrawSomthing on my iPad. I still can't draw but I made noticeable improvements in a week or two. Being able to sketch what is in my brain would help a lot in my sign work and discussing things with our designer. Obviously some people just have natural abilities so I'm wondering how you came to have such awesome sculpting skills.

It started out by me wanting to build a monument sign, to tell you the truth. I seen how much the sold for and thought I bet I could do that. So I made my first hot wire, found where I could get the Foam. Took a lessen in Synthetic stucco so I could coat my monument signs. Before you knew it I was booked doing monument signs. That got boring real fast. So I tried to build a mouse head out of foam. My slogan was we design by Mouse. I thought I would give it a go. I guess it is in me but I train other shops all the time. I find it is just trying something before you just say I can't.

RogueRoller

Then I got real Dangerous and bought a welder and some metal bender. Then I had acquired a entire metal shop. From mills, lathes, Plasma cutters, Welders, Forklifts, Brakes that could do 20 Feet, Shears from 50" -12 Feet. I had no clue what or how they worked but I was determined to put them to work in my Sign Shop. I mastered every too that year and put all of them to work. I bend all my own sign brackets, I make every thing at my shop I out source nothing. This summer I hope to put in a 15' X 20' powder coating oven. I love tools as much as I love making signs. I find a lot of people would rather buy a boat, quad or a home. Before they have a true company. My tools make me the money to buy and thing I want now. I lived in my shop for over 8 years in the back corner it was not pretty. My shop for the first 4 years had no heat. now I have a company that does not see a depression because I can do it all and grow every day. To top it of I am the only person that works in my shop, I don't have a Contractors License, You see I am a Sign Crafter. I get payed around 300-500 a hour. I tell my clients any contractor can hang a sign and charge you $35-$60 hour. Save yourself some money and hire one of them.

RogueRoller

A gentleman just sent me a message asking. What would you suggest for media to carve and what kind of media to start with? Thanks.

Well first I teach in my classes to start by making a carved relief from a drawing. Make it simple say a hand or a hammer. I teach this in my class by putting sand in a large rubber made container say 24"x24" and about 4-6 inches deep fill it 2/3 full of sand mist with some water and carve the relief of the drawing. Use any thing you want to carve with. This makes for easy practice with no mess. What is does is it gets your brain to start to work in 3D. I know you are telling your self he wants me to make sand sculptures. LOL No I want you to train your mind to see a past 2D into 3D with only 20 dollars. you can carve all day making many things. and only spend $20. Then we move into other medias. That cost way more then 20 bucks.lol

signage

Charlie it would be nice to see a video of your classes!

Do you go outside of Oregon doing this training?

RogueRoller

No I do camps here in Oregon. They go for 5 days my Studio is on the Rogue River and takes 10 to lock the class, max of 15 students. Most come and stay for the weekend take in The rogue river, Jet boating, Salmon Fishing, White water rafting and so on. the classes are 8 hours a day for 5 days and people learn what took me many years to learn. I did a dvd and had to stop making them because of pirated copies being made and sold over the internet. So now I only give classes. I try to do six a year. I guess it is like a learning vacation work shop. I do them to try and help my trade and to better other peoples lives. When I was learning how to do it, I wish I could have spent a week with someone that could teach me. I found Disney Land did not want to offer any of there secrets. LOL

tsgstl

Really impressive work
You do amazing work... You live in one of the most beautiful parts of the country.... You have a awesome looking shop....

Yep I'm jellous

RogueRoller

Like I said earlier this is how I got into the 3D world. Monument Signs here is my first 3 that I did. It paid wee but I found the challenge was soon gone.

Attachments

• monument1.jpg
    monument1.jpg
    200.1 KB · Views: 115
  • monument2.jpg
    monument2.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 119
  • monument3.jpg
    monument3.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 114

RogueRoller

Thought this might help the ones that are thinking I should try some 3D. This is a simple Wall hanging I put together It is made of Blue Foam Board (Local Hardware Store) I made a simple Hotwire table, cut the design in vinyl place on the foam. Cut to the edge of the vinyl. Paint it using house hold latex paint 3 coats. than take some fiberglass resin and poor into the top of your design for a doming effect. (Poor slow allowing the resin to go to the edge it will stop and will not flow down the sides) Let cure and show it to your local car dealership don't be surprised whey you don't come home with it.

Attachments

• dodge.jpg
    dodge.jpg
    286.4 KB · Views: 120