• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DC-3 Plane with Earth with a can sign with Raised letters.

RogueRoller

Dan, Thank you so much for your feed back. It means a lot to me. I love your work. as for the prices they are were just basic pricing. You see there is also design cost and consultation. I did not want to scare them away before they got a bite of the good life. To date I have never had a sign crack or not stand up to the task it has been designed for. We all have our tricks and that is why we offer classes to show our complete bag of tricks. Because you know as well as I do our knowledge is also worth something.

Keep up the awesome work Dan
and thanks for all the great articles I read on your work. Dan is a true Sign Crafter

Last edited:

RogueRoller

I really like everything you do.

Can we see a picture of your hot wire tool ? :U Rock:

WOW OK there are a lot of hot wire tools in may tool bag. LOL
Being that I sell them around the world not sure if I should start showing them here being I'm not a Merchant Member. (Would not be rite doing that in my book. Sorry)

RogueRoller

If you decide to give this type of work a shot keep in mind not all signs are mounted to a building. I make and design all my own sign brackets.

This sign bracket alone sells for $1,282.00 just the bracket. With out this bracket this sign would look very boring and not worth what I sold it for. Sign $3,460.00 Design was design time was $483.00. For a Grand Total of $5,225.00

Plus they had to have it installed by a contractor that charged the around $300.00

Attachments

• Remax1.jpg
    Remax1.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 114
  • remax2.jpg
    remax2.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 119

Dave Drane

Thanks for all that eye candy Charlie.. I am so impressed, I just wish I was much younger to get into your stuff. I am heading towards retirement and getting tired. I still love to look at good stuff. thank you for being so generous with you time.

RogueRoller

Thanks for all that eye candy Charlie.. I am so impressed, I just wish I was much younger to get into your stuff. I am heading towards retirement and getting tired. I still love to look at good stuff. thank you for being so generous with you time.

Colonel Sanders, founder of the famous fried chicken franchise, KFC. He started at the age of 66 years old.

You see being older may give you something most only dream about. (Experience) By now you should know business, so you are just adding something too your old list. :)

Now if you are going to give reasons about why you can't because your body is old and it is tired and hurts. Hmmmmmm

Most don't know this here on the forum but, I am what some would call me a cripple. I said earlier in this thread I don't install that is true and a contractor is cheeper then me for installs.

What most don't know is that about 12 years ago I fell two stories and hit the concrete below. My legs really don't allow me to do much other then stand most days and that is like standing on knives. So wheel chair it is.
My right arm has a fused elbow and three of my fingers on my left hand had to be put back onto my hand but are now fused in a fixed location.

So I say just do it if you think it will make you enjoy life.

FatCat

Like many here, all I can say is WOW!!! Charlie, you are truly a talented person and would love to keep seeing more of your work and hearing of your process. Heck, I may contact you about coming out there and attending a class in the near future.

Very cool sir, very cool!!!

Circleville Signs

Like many here, all I can say is WOW!!! Charlie, you are truly a talented person and would love to keep seeing more of your work and hearing of your process. Heck, I may contact you about coming out there and attending a class in the near future.

Very cool sir, very cool!!!

Hey Sean,

If you want to go out - let's split travel costs!

Speedsterbeast

Ok, so I'll try and post all my questions at once while I try my first 3-D sign.
But before I pick up some styrofoam. Can you advise if Type 2 is adequate or do I have to use the dense Type 4 (below grade) for slabs and foundtions.

I'm really excited to start on this. Unfortunately I have some customers I need to attend to first.

skyhigh

Truly amazing work. You are definitely a breath of fresh air to the forum.

Out of the dozen or so portfolio pieces you've shown, I must admit there were a couple that scare me the begeezers out of me when I think of the materials used in combination with the installation.... Schroder Auto & the Disc E. marquee, being the two. I can see by your pics, the auto dealer sign is framed up quite well....but something about "foam" being mounted that high (ok I'm being irrational). And the bottom portion of the marquee sign would have been a simple fabrication out of aluminum tubing....a must, especially in PA where the snow is going to build up on top....and also pushing against the face. To be honest, even if snow wasn't a factor, I still would have fabricated most of that out of aluminum (mostly because it overhangs the walkway)

No offense intended!!!! As you have already said, you have had no failures.

Love most all of your work. I am a fan of your talent!!!!

Justin

Ohhh, I figured it was like what I was thinking.. I could so do this! I just need somewhere to buy some foam now.. I need cheap foam to make little samples, etc.. out of..

Circleville Signs

Go to Lowe's and buy some 2"x4'x8' sheets of green EPS foam. Those are easy to get.

I'm trying to find a supplier for the large stock (3'x4'x8')

RogueRoller

Gooood morning folks sorry for my delay just got up not to Long ago ok around 6:30. But hey I was helping the other guys on wrapping helmets till around 2:30 my time LoL. Let me get some coffee BrB

RogueRoller

Truly amazing work. You are definitely a breath of fresh air to the forum.

I must admit there were a couple that scare me the begeezers out of me when I think of the materials used in combination with the installation.... Schroder Auto & the Disc E. marquee, being the two.

No offense intended!!!! As you have already said, you have had no failures.

Love most all of your work. I am a fan of your talent!!!!

Thanks for input Let me go farther into what you really have in both of these two signs that you don't see.

The foam for the two signs were made from 3 LBS. EPS Quite rigid but easy to cut, sculpt, and sand to get shapes.

The shelling on both of these are Gatorhyde. they also have a fiber mixed in the shelling once this process is cured it is like as hard and rigged as a fiberglass roller coaster car. If you wanted to you could remove the foam and just have a shell.

Now for strength my mini jet boat goes up and down the Rogue River in Class 3 rapids And there are times you have to launch up a water Fallsby Skipping on a boulder and she is still floating.

Made from Foam With the same shelling process.

you see the foam is just to allow you to get a shape nothing more. This is also the way the Grill Sign Was done. :)

Hope this eases your fear.

Attachments

• jetboat.jpg
    jetboat.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 136

RogueRoller

Here is a set of books maked with Door Skins, Foam and such. This was to get the shape I wanted. (Why wast foam when all i had to do in build some boxes and add some detail)

Then they were hard shelled.

The shelf brackets are for looks the sign is mounted by plates to the wall if you look at the pic of the sign in my studio you can see one of them at the top back.

Some where I have a pic of 3 people standing on top of them after it was installed.

Some times it is hard to get a city to approve these signs because they also think there is no way a sign made of foam or door skins would ever take any weight.

That being said there is a lot of engineering that had to be learned to do this large of a sign.

This is why one should study or go get some schooling. (small first then go bigger.)

Attachments

• book1.jpg
    book1.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 103
  • book2.jpg
    book2.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 106
  • book3.jpg
    book3.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 118
Last edited: