• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

DC-3 Plane with Earth with a can sign with Raised letters.

SD&F

I know this kind of work very well and I can tell you that is beautiful and something to be very proud of.

Justin

I like this kind of work! I just really don't see many people around here having this type of stuff. We have a ton of medical buildings around here...

RogueRoller

I like this kind of work! I just really don't see many people around here having this type of stuff. We have a ton of medical buildings around here...

I love doing Doc. offices hospitals and such. I find them to be the most challenging.

What says medical like a 15' tall medical Logo. or medical instruments we all know.

Larger then life Glasses, great BIG Stethoscope, the list is endless.

TwoNine

Hey Rogue - Where is that book store? Reminds me of Grants Pass...Close? (Awesome signs BTW - but of course you MAY have already know that...LoL)

Justin

I love doing Doc. offices hospitals and such. I find them to be the most challenging.

What says medical like a 15' tall medical Logo. or medical instruments we all know.

Larger then life Glasses, great BIG Stethoscope, the list is endless.

If you don't mind me asking.. How did you get your first job doing this? I guess a good way to get started would make some samples? How easy is it to sell a sign like this?

SignManiac

If you're making and selling high end signs today, you will be selling them tomorrow.
If you're making and selling cheap signs today, you will be selling them tomorrow...

RogueRoller

Hey Rogue - Where is that book store? Reminds me of Grants Pass...Close? (Awesome signs BTW - but of course you MAY have already know that...LoL)

Yes that sign is located in Gold Hill Oregon just south of Grants Pass Oregon. Did you see it passing threw one day?

That towns population is about 860 lol

But they have a cool sign.....

RogueRoller

If you don't mind me asking.. How did you get your first job doing this? I guess a good way to get started would make some samples? How easy is it to sell a sign like this?

I get this asked of me a lot.

BUILD A SIGN FOR YOUR SHOP!!!!!

Build it and they will come.....

There are some tricks to shelling but nothing that can not be learned.

TwoNine

No - used to live/work there....Worked at Signs, Etc. (Medford) for a little bit doing install and service. I still like the Dutch Bros coffee signs we used to do. Nothing like what you do (That's what it sounds like when I assume things...), but they were still fun....Fun as installing electric pole signs and channel letters gets I guess...LoL

God's country down there.....Beautiful area. (On a side note - I was just trying to remember the other day. When you are going from Cave Junction to Redwood City - there is a river that shoots OVER the ground in one part and you can stand underneath the river...Can't remember exactly where.....That is one of the most truly AWESOME things I've ever done...)

-Chad

RogueRoller

No - used to live/work there....Worked at Signs, Etc. (Medford) for a little bit doing install and service. I still like the Dutch Bros coffee signs we used to do.

Working on some over the top designs for Dutch Bros Coffee.
Taking them way out there.
Love doing things that really have no boundaries.

TwoNine

That's what's up!!! Hopefully they have found a better place to make their stands....Used to be in the same building as a port-a-potty processing plant that turned poop into paper. And it STUNK!!!! (We used to do the channel letters before they drove the stands to their final location.)

You do some amazing work my friend....Very inspiring and it is so nice to see people making things by hand still. I could have used your process on more than a couple things...Now I get to try something new!!! Thank you for all of your valuable information and input. You are a class act, my friend.

-Chad

RogueRoller

I started small but made my own sign brackets, making my work stand out. make things for your shop and you will start selling them to the masses.

Here are two of my first signs that were not flat.

Nothing like today but they were a start.

Attachments

• Re1.jpg
    Re1.jpg
    358 KB · Views: 116
  • re3.jpg
    re3.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 111

RogueRoller

Charlie,
How are you getting the Gatorhyde so smooth? Every thing I see has a rough texture.

Great question it is based on if you are using a Airless system or one that uses Air.

Most use a Airless System. I do not.
By using air to make the product hit the foam in smaller droplets you get a smoother look.

Now if you want a really smooth surface like the Mini Jet Boat or the Grill sign that started this thread I use a primer that builds up fast that I spray on.

Give it a light sanding and POOF you now have a Strong Glass like Finish.

Again great Question.

RogueRoller

You see the texture on the Gold Leaf (Bar and Grill) plus the Burgundy back ground that is with no Air. I did this to give me that texture.

How I did this was did the entire thing smooth then masked of where I did not want texture. Turned off the air and shot the texture.

By the way one of my favorite signs did not want to see it go :-(

Attachments

• zitio.jpg
    zitio.jpg
    415.2 KB · Views: 128

RogueRoller

So you basically use a filling primer after the Gatorhyde sets up?

Yes, but I spray the Primer while the GatorHyde is setting up. This allows the primer and shell to bond together not layer on top of one another.
The shelling will set up under water it is a chemical and heat reaction not air.

Justin

You use GatorHyde for these signs? Isn't that stuff pretty expensive?

I wonder if real fiberglass is cheaper, or about the same as GatorHyde?

Are there any other products you recommend to be able to have a smooth glass like finish ontop of foam?

RogueRoller

You use GatorHyde for these signs? Isn't that stuff pretty expensive?

I wonder if real fiberglass is cheaper, or about the same as GatorHyde?

Are there any other products you recommend to be able to have a smooth glass like finish ontop of foam?

LOL OK for me time is MONEY $,$$$,$$$.¢¢

Could I do it cheeper with a more difficult product? YES
Would it be faster? NO
Would I have to do More Work? YES
Now would I be making less money? hmmmmmmmmmm YEP

This Is how I do it so I can live a life of not having to worry about if I can afford to go out and buy a new 650 Ford and pay Cash.

Because it was ether I spent 98,000 on the Truck or give it away for Taxes.
It sucks to Work Smarter.

Please don't take it wrong.

I just am trying to share with you folks on how I do it not to debate if I should work harder for my Pay Check to save a few thousand dollars a year.
My time is way to important. This is how I chose to take my Vacation.
Come on here and share some secrets. Help Some folks Out. For FREE ;-)

Attachments

• big-blue1.jpg
    big-blue1.jpg
    343.7 KB · Views: 127
  • bigblue2.jpg
    bigblue2.jpg
    276.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Big-Blue3.jpg
    Big-Blue3.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 119

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Do you own stocks in a gas company?
Whats the mileage on something like that?
I'm thinking Air Force One goes farther on a gallon of jet fuel.

Nice truck

wayne k
guam usa