• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

designing new business cards

Flame

You still have to learn what design IS... as that card would still look great WITHOUT the crumpled effect, the crumpled look only accented the good layout/fonts.

If that makes sense? You're going after the special effects before the layout. :) Sometimes a black and white card and look a heckuva lot better than a full color card....

Flame

Only about 6-7 minutes so this isn't a finished layout, but just a quick example that you can still make a black and white card look somewhat interesting.

Attachments

• Lil details.jpg
    Lil details.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 123

buffalo.chuckl

I think imma give Deaton some business. He is a true pro. Slapakiss, that was a pretty good layout too. Lil, btw, most professionals make business cards from scratch or from a template that they create in Adobe Illustrator. :) Just a thought.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Only about 6-7 minutes so this isn't a finished layout, but just a quick example that you can still make a black and white card look somewhat interesting.

Except that the script you used is locked in a death struggle with the LHF Antique Shop as well as the inadvisability of using that same specimen typeface for body text. Typography still isn't your long suit, eh?

Flame

Except that the script you used is locked in a death struggle with the LHF Antique Shop as well as the inadvisability of using that same specimen typeface for body text. Typography still isn't your long suit, eh?

Using it for a body text was a mistake, but eh... 5 minutes.

And I wouldn't talk about typography Bob... lol

Border

I think he has no plans of giving up that font....ever, no matter how awesome anything else looks.

lil Details

never say EVER....but for now, I like the font for my business name. If that is my weak point then so be it.

BTW, Flame, I like the card you posted. Sort of a "silent movie" sort of look. I just look at it and think that it would be a nightmare to try and use that font and cut the vinyl out for anything though.....wouldn't it be?

iSign

Professor, did you catch the last post I made of a design idea?...
I had addressed most of what you are restating on the design flaws.
ouch... I mean wow dude... really... I can't speak for the professor, but I'm going to guess she saw that... but it doesn't really matter if she did... that doesn't "address most of" anything... please take the advice you get with an open mind. Do not fear that you are at the start of a long journey. Anyone can make that journey... just be honest with yourself that you are still at the start, and when someone points the way, don't be afraid to drop your own wishes that you knew the way, or your desire to look like you knew the way... and just listen and let people point out the way!

Flame

never say EVER....but for now, I like the font for my business name. If that is my weak point then so be it.

Even though a slew of professionals are telling you that it isn't a good one? I know it's hard to accept, but some of the people offering you advice here are worlds above you in skill. We have some world class sign artists on this site, they aren't just joe schmoe, next door neighbor, these guys know what looks good and what does not, and the best part.... WHY stuff looks good and WHY it doesn't.

You gotta take advice or you'll never get that sucker down.

There... there's my scolding for the night. Cya later everyone. :rock-n-roll: lol

lil Details

ouch... I mean wow dude... really... I can't speak for the professor, but I'm going to guess she saw that... but it doesn't really matter if she did... that doesn't "address most of" anything... please take the advice you get with an open mind. Do not fear that you are at the start of a long journey. Anyone can make that journey... just be honest with yourself that you are still at the start, and when someone points the way, don't be afraid to drop your own wishes that you knew the way, or your desire to look like you knew the way... and just listen and let people point out the way!

I didn't mean to be rude with that and if it was then I am very sorry. I was simply looking at what she had wrote and all but the point one about the slant and then the "buddy drew it" part was all about the first card with blue and shadows and all that..... I think I had changed all of that on the last card that I had posted. If I didn't then would you kindly show me what I am missing on my own picture?

lil Details

so does this still just look like crap? I know it is along the same style as the other one, but this is actually me writing the business name and then cleaning it up just a bit.....

If I am simply blind then hopefully I am not totally deaf too and can listen to you all. I am here to learn rather it is looking like that or not.

Attachments

• lil Details business card5.jpg
    lil Details business card5.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 132

Flame

so does this still just look like crap? I know it is along the same style as the other one, but this is actually me writing the business name and then cleaning it up just a bit.....

If I am simply blind then hopefully I am not totally deaf too and can listen to you all. I am here to learn rather it is looking like that or not.

OK, this one is a start, but you still have legibility issues. The layout is pretty correct, how everything is balanced, but notice where the letters interlap, it's hard to ready them? Just for starters, add a black outline to the middle copy.

And then on to fonts.. you could really use some fresh fonts.

Deaton Design

Dont know why Im up this late, but I am, so Ill ramble a little.
To me, if you are out among potential customers, the first thing you do when you are going after business is hand them your card. Now me, I want my card to slap them right in the jaw with a nice, colorful layout. Most signs are made from several different colors, with a couple nice typesyles, and sometimes a few effects to give them a little punch. I want to show them the quality of the work I can do with one little card. If it looks professional to them, chances are Ill get their business, but, some of that is lost on some customers, as some customers wouldnt recognize good or bad, they just want a sign, cheap and fast as they can get it. Its all about image in my book, and I want my little ol business card to be a good spokesman for the work I do.
I understand how you feel about using certain elements on your card, and how you might want to stay simple, but I really think you should go back and read all the replies to this post, all given with the best intentions and wanting to help, look at the samples, and maybe even look through some of the fine work on the portfolio page. Use some of those ideas and advice and come up with something that gives you all the bang you need for your business. :signs101: