• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

designing new business cards

Jillbeans

Pat, that is fantastic.
But it probably won't be "his style" and he probably won't even acknowledge your offering.
:)

Marlene

I read thru this thread and what I saw were many of the members of signs101 giving great advice and posting ideas that were outstanding. if lil doesn't take any of the advice or bothers with any of this, this thread is still a great value to anyone who takes the time to read thru it. the people here are so generous in giving their knowledge and anyone who asks for help always receives it. the knowledge shared in this thread alone is info that most of us had to learn on our own over the years. when a layout is posted, experienced eyes look it over in a way that most of us never had the advantage of when we were learning. people who come to the site can learn in months what took most of us years on our own. lil details will have a nasty-came from a word program-awful looking card and will take away nothing from this thread. lil details will hand out cards that make the business look cheap and unprofessional and will be happy as a clam never getting any of this. that is too bad as it was all here for the taking.

slappy

I read thru this thread and what I saw were many of the members of signs101 giving great advice and posting ideas that were outstanding.

This thread reminds me how it was when i first joined the site in 2005. This is what i miss about 101. I don't see threads like this that often anymore.

dman0427

I really like your design Pat.
It would look awesome with spot UV.

I think some people are just born with a gift...
And then there are others (that I know personally)...no matter how hard they try, or how many classes they may take, or how much they love art, they may never get it.

Marlene

This thread reminds me how it was when i first joined the site in 2005. This is what i miss about 101. I don't see threads like this that often anymore.

they are great. I think a lot of people get tired of helping out only to be ignored. I just wanted those who took the time to give of themselves to know that the person who posted the thread may not appreciate it but there are a lot of others who do and love the info. I've been in the biz for over 20 years and there isn't a day here that I don't learn something new, find a better way to do something or look at a layout with a different point of view.

rjpjr

Lil’

I think you have been exceptionally patient and receptive to the truck load of constructive criticism you have received. Although a few critiques were offered with little to no input how to positively move forward, many others passed along great insight in regards to how to attain solid layout skills. Many business card layout proposals or possibilities were also submitted. Even though most were very good to excellent, I think you were right to turn them down on the basis that the Look or Personality of those layouts was not “Yours”. Your business needs to reflect you, not someone else.

In response to those submissions, you introduced an example (post 75) that displayed the Personality or Feel you would like your business card to have; your “Ideal” look. While some may not like the “look”, it is the direction you have stated as being your preference. Shortly there after, you submitted another attempt (post 101). That submission fell short of your ideal look. The “Ideal” layout is well proportioned and has reasonable contrast. Take a look at your “Ideal” layout from graphicdisorder.com again. It has a dark background with 1 graphic in the center. The layout works because the dark background and the foreground of the graphic work together to provide contrast to the text of the graphic itself. The text POPS, particularly “Custom”. What I mean by POPS is that at a very quick glance you are able to quickly read the text. If you were to use that very layout and you substituted your signature version of “lil Details” for “Twin States Customs”, it would not work, even though the rest of the cards layout has already been established as the “Look” or feel that you would like to replicate. It would not work because the weight or stroke of the “lil Details” is very weak and provides very little contrast. Also, the Graphic “Style” is not the same as what already exists. However, if that same signature had been generated with a broad tipped marker or some similar method, then maybe the layout may have had a higher probability of success. CONTRAST is KING.

If you are determined that the thin stroked signature is the way to go, then Biker Scout (post 113) did a great job of presenting a thin stroked logo with power. He also used a complimentary font so that the secondary copy did not over power the signature logo. Although his effort did not completely match the characteristics you were looking for, it was very solid.

You don’t need to change your identity (lil Details) as some have suggested, rather all that is needed is to change HOW it is being presented. Make up your mind what personality you want your business image to have and then figure out how to best accomplish it. Don’t get caught up in having a certain background, but rather focus on the overall impact. Does the content of the layout work together to present the image that you want…legibly? If you are not sure, print out the layouts and tape them to a wall 5 to 10 feet away and quickly look at them. If you have to study them to read them, you have failed and will need to start over. If indeed you are not in a big hurry, then I would recommend that you take your time and try out as many ideas as you can. Post those efforts that you feel stoked about. Constructive and positive critiques will certainly come.

Pat Whatley just provided yet another great example proving that it can be done. :cool1:

Many great resources have been cited in this thread. Check them out if at all possible. Learning how to use fonts appropriately will go a long way towards improving your layout skills. A list of fonts to NOT use was provided. That list was probably created because the author felt those fonts were over used. You CAN use them and create fine layouts, but just be aware that EVERYBODY , especially newbies and/or Word document users, etc. use the hell out of them. Be original, but do it with legibility in mind. Stick with it and don’t get discouraged. Seek out the best and learn what they do and why they do it.

Sorry for the long response. I just wanted to encourage you to hang in there. :thumb:

Good luck and best wishes.

lil Details

Hey all, I love the information that is given in this thread and I am listening to it. I have taken a step away from doing anything as my window tinting business, our garden, and my family have been taking most of my time.

Pat, I am not taking that as anything but a very nice card that falls very precisely with what I posted off of graphic disorders website. I actually like that card a lot....couldn't have been much closer to the one from GD.

When I get inspiration to do something more, go deeper, then I will be sure and post it up here....

and THANKS to all again.

lil Details

Ok...so I have played a bit....I also am talking with Pat about using the design from his post, but have been trying to use my own software to create it also.

So, have at it and a font suggestion for the middle copy is greatly appreciated....

Attachments

• lildetailsbusinesscard20jpg.jpg
    lildetailsbusinesscard20jpg.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 124

lil Details

Why are you stuck on using that terrible lettering for "lil details?"

I like this "terrible" lettering style. It just fits ME....
and, at least for now, I am not in a market that I need to be able to WOW sign professionals such as are here at Signs101.

Pat, I take it you got the file via email....

B Snyder

I like this "terrible" lettering style. It just fits ME....
and, at least for now, I am not in a market that I need to be able to WOW sign professionals such as are here at Signs101.

I'm not suggesting you need to WOW the folks here. I simply thought you'd want to WOW a potential client when you hand them your card.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I'm not suggesting you need to WOW the folks here. I simply thought you'd want to WOW a potential client when you hand them your card.

That is exactly the point. The point of a having a good business card is not to please you, it's to please the people receiving it.

Your current effort might make you feel all warm and fuzzy but to the rest of the world it's an amateurish effort and a typographical collision at sea. As well as being just plain butt ugly. Just the sort of thing you want to have represent your typographical and design acumen, which is what you're trying to sell. A bold strategy, let's see how it works out for you.