• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

designing new business cards

lil Details

using Inkscape for this designing. It doesn't seem to hold the proportion in.

Address fits for here, but I understand what you are saying too. I know that is has been knocked and isn't as professional as some, but I am using lilDetails@yahoo.com for the email. That is much more common here than you might think. This is a very small rural area. Town is like 2200 population.

In just a week of talking about starting this business I was already getting job inquiry's.

Vinylman

so....here is black text, Arial font, and the information layout with what I feel makes the phone number most important and the business name second or equal.

edit: changed pic to a proper business card size...

lil Details:

CONGRATULATIONS!

You are on your way!!:clapping:

Just look at how quickly iSign jumped in with a design suggestion {and no comments} to keep helping you move forward.

BTW: your card design simple as it is here, IS LIGHT YEARS ahead of anything else you have posted up to this point.:toasting:

Now come the "lil" adjustments that will eventually put your card at the top of your potential customers Rolodex.:rock-n-roll:

buffalo.chuckl

lil, for a beginning designer. My advice: "Less is More!" As your designing skills grow, you can start to add more stuff and play around with more complex designs, but starting out, try playing around with basic designs and get your layout and font skills down and the rest will fall into place. desiging logos are a entirely different proposition but for now I'd work on the first two things.

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I'm looking to pass the baton so any of your awesome designers please step in and help Lil take the B&W Layout to the next step. I'm NOT a designer, at least not in the class that I work with or are on this forum.

Biker Scout

Don't ever use Arial for anything. Like was suggested, get "Real Fonts"

The "real" version of Arial would be Helvetica. Has better kerning, and is the most widely used san serif font in the world. Arial, is just a windows knock-off.

Not that this matters to you, but Arial also chokes when sending to image setters, and often times does weird things in Adobe Acrobat.

Infact, here's my list of fonts NOT TO USE... print this out, and keep it by your monitor.

Here's a font house that has "Real Fonts" and they aren't too expensive. They are fairly common typefaces used all over. Most are basic, but waaay better than your system fonts.
http://www.castcraft-software.com/designer.html
I would suggest starting out with Volumes 3&4.

Attachments

• Crap Fonts.jpg
    Crap Fonts.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 140

jrh4711

How about sharing a list of fonts for lil' to start with.

There are basic layouts for business cards. (Which I believe was covered already) But I think there may be a disconnect on what fonts are good sign fonts. If lil' doesn't have the fonts to choose from then that may be drastically reduce his potential.

I do think it was a good start with what not to use.

I think it would be a good starting point to have the tools in the tool box before trying to sculpt a marble statue.

I am no designer but would be interested to see a list myself.

jrh4711

There has been alot of really great designs, advice, and expertise offered. I have been reading this post.

Not able to offer much help but have learned a few things myself.

But I would like to thank everyone for their contributions to my education.

lil Details

don't even know if he appreciates what's been offered so far...

are there two people that post using your computer? I have to ask because it seems like two totally different people are writing from there.

I agree with the "list of fonts". I have stated that I don't see a difference in one font to the next...or at least what makes it good or bad. I would not have used Arial for anything, but that is what Brian suggested for this....

I appreciate everything that is here. If I didn't I would not still be here.

but, dmnn iSign, I don't get you and the split personality posting. I like the card re-design that you did last night....I see the difference's...

briankb

Premium Subscriber
I agree with the "list of fonts". I have stated that I don't see a difference in one font to the next...or at least what makes it good or bad. I would not have used Arial for anything, but that is what Brian suggested for this....

If you don't know the difference. The only possible reason you would not have used Arial is because it's not your style...

I NEVER suggested to use it for the final design. I suggested YOU use it because I wasn't sure you could find anything else or if you had other good fonts installed. It was supposed to be a basic lump of clay with which you could mold and have people help you mold into something nice. You really need to stop all this and go study design, typography, and just signage in general for at least a few months.

lil Details

If you don't know the difference. The only possible reason you would not have used Arial is because it's not your style...

I NEVER suggested to use it for the final design. I suggested YOU use it because I wasn't sure you could find anything else or if you had other good fonts installed. It was supposed to be a basic lump of clay with which you could mold and have people help you mold into something nice. You really need to stop all this and go study design, typography, and just signage in general for at least a few months.

I thought I understood what you put forth. I posted it up as that lump of clay.

If I need to leave this site....or whatever then I will....it seems that I am just digging a deeper rut here.....

Said I was going to put the whole thing on hold and got encouraged and ribbed to go farther with it....am I wasting everyone's time??

Anyway!

iSign

Other have said I have a split personality too. Oh well... I gotta deal with it more than you, so hopefully it's not too much of a problem.

If I need to leave this site....or whatever then I will....it seems that I am just digging a deeper rut here.....

Said I was going to put the whole thing on hold and got encouraged and ribbed to go farther with it....am I wasting everyone's time??

No, of course you don't need to leave. You also don't need to learn everything overnight, and remember, there are hundreds of people here, & hundreds of opinions...

Like the old saying, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so while there are design "principals", there are very few steadfast rules. Not using Arial is a ridiculous remark in my opinion, although I wasn't going to say so... and I agree with vinylman (whch ain't happening everyday :wink:) in saying CONGRATULATIONS on working up a basic card in the first place, and working up a basic one with the textured gray background too...

Why don't you crank out a few more... I mean it's like talking about snowboarding, or surfing, or skating.. whatever it might be... yeah, it's cool to talk about it with others who know... for awhile... but to learn you gotta get back on the board!!

Bust out that nice texture you had, & try getting some new layouts posted... you said you see the differences in mine, but I'll draw attention to a few.. Prioritize copy. Your name was too small in my opinion, so I made mine bigger. Your secondary copy panel was too large & crowding the edges, so mine's smaller... you also need to watch your contrast, and just going from memory here, but I think your smaller secondary copy was on a slightly darker background in that rounded panel... but still poor contrast, and for small lettering, I think I made mine darker... I know mine ain't great... just another idea to show you your same basic concept with a few tweaks.

Anyway, people have mentioned some top nothc designers here... well, I'm certainly not one of them, but i have come a long way over the years, & staying actively involved on threads like these that I've posted has helped...

...by actively involved, I mean posting 10 or 20 different designs over a few days... Yeah, I encouraged you to keep pushing yourself... people don't want to read this same old crap, unless we can watch you succeed... believe me, this is not new for us... this crap has played itself out 100 times.. the only enjoyment is seeing you post better designs, so why don't you do that?

I appreciate everything that is here.... I like the card re-design that you did last night....I see the difference's...
well, people won't know that if you don't say it... free advice is a good deal. Show respect.

By the way, Signfonts.com is an excellent & affordable resource for some good fonts!

lil Details

post #20 "Thank you for the comments...I WILL take them to my use."

#75 "Thanks for the kind posts here and I do appreciate the insights into better design...."

#122 "Thank you all for what you have given."

and finally on this thread... #158 "I appreciate everything that is here."

briankb

Premium Subscriber

wasn't suggesting you leave the forum but leave this design stuff alone until you have done some basic homework which can be as simple as ordering and reading a few books.

here's one I have read (get them used if it's a lot cheaper no difference on the inside)
http://www.amazon.com/Non-Designers...4042/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1248667610&sr=8-1

there are other's

you will not get very far if you can't recognize what's wrong with it in the first place.

Pat Whatley

I'm not dragging this back up to kick you around or anything but today brought it to mind. I've been thinking about buying one of the Mister Retro Machine Wash Filters for a couple of months. I've got a project working now that needed a bunch of panels we're printing to look weathered. I tried every free photoshop action I could find before giving up and ordering Machine Wash 2.

Right out of the box it pulled up the "TRASH" filter which is the wrinkled effect shown. Made me think of your card so I threw together a retro looking name and chunked a filter or two at it. These things are awesome. I'm sure I could get this to look more realistic if I spent more than a couple of minutes with the adjustments but you get the point!

LILDETAILS.jpg

lil3.jpg

Last edited: