• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Does Anyone Have A Lynx?

yellowmack

Lynx is not crap...

I have owned this lynx for several months now and after working with roland first and then gerber I feel it performs just the same if not better.

when I bought it I looked long and hard and got peoples opinions both sides. Not only that but the salesman that sold it to me could've sold me the graphtec cause that was what I was going to buy, and he directed me to the lynx(cheaper yes, quality any less no) so why sell me a cheaper model?

None the less the machine does me just fine and thank you to all those guys out there defending my thread.....AND especially answering the real reason for the thread....how do u move the pinch rollars...

Thank You!
oh and i'm a girl....Melissa

CV Signs

There are machines that are better and some that are not so good, but if a person is starting out and is on a low budget and small client base. Why spend $15,000 when $4000 will do. This forum is full of threads with people needing help with every brand of printer, cutter computer made. It's not right to just jump on someone because they spent less money than you did. If you don't want to offer any help, then don't, but why do people go out of their way to trash talk someone because of the equipment they bought.
.........amen

It's not that he spent less money than us...I bought my first roland on eBay for $400. It's still sitting in the shop, across from my second plotter, and it is used to cut tint. Why did I switch? Cuz made the money to get a faster, and quieter machine. I'm sure that the Lynx was a lot more than that. I believe that most of us are just trying to say that new is not always best. You can get something that is rock-solid and will last for another 10 years if you just do a little research beforehand. That is why a lot of guys go under...because it looks fairly simple to get started...and it is, but if you get shitty equipment, It gives you false assumptions about the industry. For example...I sit here and look at a catalog, and I see an "EnduraCUT; Economical vinyl cutters; affordable and transportable!" Well, any plotter is transportable some just may weigh more than others. Like the old Rolands; they weigh a ton because they are made with quality, strong parts. These "Economical" ones are shitty and light because they are all plastic! I can just see someone transporting one now...and then dropping it. And then it shatters into a million pieces. There goes the $600 you racked out, when you could have spent the exact same on eBay, getting a piece of worthwile used equipment. All I am trying to say is, do a little research...and LEARN about stuff before you make unwise purchases. (It's like the extended warranty thing where you buy a $4000 TV, and forego the $300 5-year warranty. Well on the 366th day, there will probably be an earthquake, and it will fall off the stand, and you will have wished that you forked over an extra $300 to cover your $4000).

OldPaint

"when you could have spent the exact same on eBay, getting a piece of worthwile used equipment. All I am trying to say is, do a little research...and LEARN about stuff before you make unwise purchases."
SAME THING IAM SAYIN......why all the "outrage" about US WHO KNOW BETTER......tryin to tell those newbie 101 ers..............that cheap aint better......BUT IF YOU DO RESEARCH AND LEARN....BEFORE YOU LAY DOWN MONEY....u will be better off ......but good advice is like anything else....EITHER TAKE IT AND LEARN... or do dumb stuff.......no skin of my butt.....either way....

ghetto_cowboy

"when you could have spent the exact same on eBay, getting a piece of worthwile used equipment. All I am trying to say is, do a little research...and LEARN about stuff before you make unwise purchases."
SAME THING IAM SAYIN......why all the "outrage" about US WHO KNOW BETTER......tryin to tell those newbie 101 ers..............that cheap aint better......BUT IF YOU DO RESEARCH AND LEARN....BEFORE YOU LAY DOWN MONEY....u will be better off ......but good advice is like anything else....EITHER TAKE IT AND LEARN... or do dumb stuff.......no skin of my butt.....either way....

think what you want but what you are ACTUALLY saying to all us newbs is "hello my name is oldpaint and im a asshole so please /ignore me"

and i believe ill take your advice

Greenthorn

think what you want but what you are ACTUALLY saying to all us newbs is "hello my name is oldpaint and im a asshole so please /ignore me"

I'm with you. Anytime someone talks about the more economical equipment, the old coot trashes them, their equipment, and the thread.

S

Sign-Man Signs

The Lynx pinch rollers must be moved without pressure. The one nearest the arm is the mosy difficult but it will mpve. We have 4 Lynx X 60's have have been using the first one we bought for about 6 years now. The cost has increased each year to about $1600.00 per unit. These units have the best tracking speed and an outstanding media handler. Now to me, $1600.00 dollars is a lot of money. I have had both Roland, good machine, Graphtec, shakey tracking error monster, and now we use only Lynx machines. They are so fast you have to slow them down via your software program but they are work horses. My personal opinon, you made a good purchase. Don't get discouraged with some of the old farts in here. Every forum has them and Signs 101 is no exception. This is about the best forum on the net and you can learn alot from the people here that don't bash a guy for buying smart. Need anymore help just call or email.

imaSIGNr

I'd just like to say that. I certainly am not all knowledgeable of all the equipment out there. I do not say even that the "CATS" are better. They are a good buy. They seem to do a fair job. I can't complain. If I were to have needed something to serve me better I would have done more research and probably gotten something better ( or more expensive anyway ). I had a certain budget to work with and I liked the idea of getting a whole pkg deal to start out 3 years ago on my own. I worked for someone else for 16 years before that, but computers, plotters and software were not my expertise. I started off in the old school shortly before the computers came along. I actually did woodworking, carving, gilding ,painting, installs etc. I build the signs so someone else could put their name on it.
My biggest complaint of the CATS are that the tech support sucks and I have not needed repairs yet, but I dread the day when I do. That may be the day I switch......But so far I've had good luck and just don't see the need to trash people because of their purchase. It's fine to give advise and share your knowledge of what you know.......my02

PitchBlackSS

I have a Lynx as well, like it was said, both pinch rollers move. I move them all the time to switch between 24" and 15" vinyl. I found that running the 15" towards the center of the machine allowd me to maximize the space between the rollers.

I have run up to 70" long graphics without tracking issues.

here's a direct link to the Lynx manual incase you missed it above... http://www.signwarehouse.com/tech-support/pdfs/Lynx_Manual.pdf

OldPaint

I have run up to 70" long graphics without tracking issues
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!! 70 INCHES.
older rolands have a page lenght of 62.99......and you NEW MACHINE CAN DO 70"!!!!!!
quite an improvment.hehehehehehehehehehehehehehe
getto cowboy.......get you head outa your butt.....
texarkana....my drill instructor in the service used to say....
"only things from texas are steers and queers....AND YOU AINT GOT NO HORNS BOY."""""")))))))))))))))))))))))))))))
by the way i was born right near ya PARIS, TEXAS)))))))

Pro Image

70IN Whats that like a little less than 6ft..........................I have a Gerber Fastrack 750 just like the one Gary is selling I have run 120ft in one set of cuts without repositioning the vinyl...........Let a 500.00 machine do that.....................

As for Old Paint being from TX...........I didn't see NO HORNS in your speedo pic OP................lol hahahahaha

CV Signs

Yay I've ran a 20 foot by 24 inch roll with my first PNC 1100! I was nervous the whole time but It didn't shift more than 1/4 inch!

Techman

Good. ITs a good idea to ignore those who spent years doing this work. At the same time watching the noobs keep making the same mistaken choices over and over again.

Cheap machines are not economical. No way no how. Those who say their casual use machines run along side a professional machines are deluding themselves.
But, those of us old coots who been around for years know the truth. All you have to do is look at the old posts all over the internet and watch how some sing praises about their casual use machine but later cry, whine and moan over some short comming.

Its a fact of life. Cheaper machines cannot do the same job a better known machine willl do. This fact.

Why would a salesman recommend a cheaper machine? Because he gets more margin. Thats why. Why would I sell a machine and make just $50 bux when I could sell another and make $100. Those salesmen are not selling you a better machine, they are selling you a better commission for themselves.

beaudrysign

Cutters

I have two machines. 1 is a SW Panther. 2 is a roland GX300. I have had the panther for a little over 3 years and the roland for about 2. I have never had a problem with the panther EVER. The roland on the other hand has had nothing but problems. I cut 22" high by 38' long X2. last week on the panther and it tracked like an ace. The panther works everyday and the roland now just sits collecting dust. I paid $2500.00 for the panther and I paid $2800.00 for the so called professional machine. Well anything is better then a stika....lol. thats just my 2 cents.

CV Signs

The roland probably needs new pinch rollers. If they are left down for a long amount of time with no vinyl because the grits create an impression on the rubber.

PitchBlackSS

Glad I can add a little comment and get jumped on by the big guys. Some of us dont do 50' trailers or $10K signs. Some of us are small shops or in my case, do vinyl as an add on to an existing business.

I do nothing but temporary signs, mostly coroplast and banners, and RTA vinyl. I know a lot of you frown on people like me and I dont care. You see me as a fly by night sign guy that is ruining the industry for others, and again, I dont care.

I am happy for you guys that can do the big stuff and can charge $70 an hour for labor. Would I like to get to that point some day, maybe, I just hope I can check my ego at the door unlike some people here.

Any small shops or hobbiests need a little help without getting ripped apart, feel free to drop me a PM. I know what its like to be the "small guy" when the big shops are ripping apart your every move. Ive been there, they didnt like the way I did things because "its not the way its done" and a few years later, they are changing their ways to keep up with me.

Sorry for the rant....

Scott

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Yay I've ran a 20 foot by 24 inch roll with my first PNC 1100! I was nervous the whole time but It didn't shift more than 1/4 inch!

This is your version of sarcasm, right?

If not, a 1/4 inch in 20 feet is unacceptable performance. Any machine worth the powder to blow it across the street should demonstrate repeatability of a couple of .01's on sizes of this magnitude.