• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Frank Fellers, the Owner of Fellers Has started his own wrap shop doing wraps for $1,000

Christian @ 2CT Media

The deal is now prevalent in our us market. Anyone can now be a disruptor, from big business to small. It should not matter to you that this is now a competitor, but it should matter to you to shore up your business, innovate, think nationally, or focus on a Niche like them.

Our Commerce is changing, the old rules don't apply anymore, and now everyone in your market is a competitor but they can still be allies.

Johnny Best

What Frank Fellers eats for lunch...
lunch.jpg

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It's simply competition. Is it fair ?? Nope, not at all, but its a fact...... they're there/here. Staples does it, Home Depot, and billboard companies to name a few. They have the money, so why not ?? Your neighbors do it and so does the soccer mom down the street. In fact, I look at most people in this business as not having any business being in this industry, but it is what it is. Supposedly, it should keep us all honest and competitive, but it doesn't, not at all. In life, does anything happen the way we planned it ?? Nope. Do ya give up and throw the towel in ?? Up to you...... not me. It's called progress. When Gerber started selling to everyone, it created a new playing field. When printers started going around, it created a newer playing field. After the industry is saturated with machines of all sorts, they start selling to our end users. Now, all those with or without talent are here. Also, the ones without integrity, scruples and shame are among us.

Yep, this is nothing new, ya just hafta get used to the competition and wonder why someone upset your applecart. Gosh danged Frank.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
It's simply competition. Is it fair ?? Nope, not at all, but its a fact...... they're there/here. Staples does it, Home Depot, and billboard companies to name a few. They have the money, so why not ?? Your neighbors do it and so does the soccer mom down the street. In fact, I look at most people in this business as not having any business being in this industry, but it is what it is. Supposedly, it should keep us all honest and competitive, but it doesn't, not at all. In life, does anything happen the way we planned it ?? Nope. Do ya give up and throw the towel in ?? Up to you...... not me. It's called progress. When Gerber started selling to everyone, it created a new playing field. When printers started going around, it created a newer playing field. After the industry is saturated with machines of all sorts, they start selling to our end users. Now, all those with or without talent are here. Also, the ones without integrity, scruples and shame are among us.

Yep, this is nothing new, ya just hafta get used to the competition and wonder why someone upset your applecart. Gosh danged Frank.
I missed where color change wraps were ever a staple product of any sign business. It seems way more in line with tint shops and custom car/truck places. Plenty here dabble in things that are outside their scope like ppf, that stuff is a detail and bodyshop product but you dont see tears in their eyes over it.
The feeling everyone gets when a new competitor pops up is the same feeling you gave someone else when you opened up shop. Such is life.
When you see a new concept or new competitor you really need to ask yourself if you are mad at them or actually mad at yourself for not doing better and missing a potential opportunity.

Axs

So what's the problem here? He's using cheap likely china-based wrap vinyl and doing R&D on customers who wouldn't be willing to pay top dollar for a wrap anyway. If you are a reputable shop, why are you worried. To me this is no different than you competing against a guy running out of a garage doing it for half the price. The difference for the most part will always be quality. This is a tiny shop testing out vinyl with the end-user as the guinea pig. End-users you'd probably have turned away anyway.

If you are worried about him going after your business, then there really isn't anything stopping any of you from buying a sea can of cheap product yourself.

BUT - if by chance it turns out that he is able to develop a decent product, I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure distributing it on a mass scale would be where the big cash will be. HMM if only he had access to a large distributor who would be willing to take that on.. Then congrats now you can take that kid's hard earned money who took 3 years to save up, and instead of him going to some random garage, you can keep that business. This could be opportunity for a shop to expand their market - how reputable you want to be will be up to you I guess.. Are you going to tell me that if he develops a good product and is willing to sell it on mass scale that you will turn your nose up and not consider it?

I really just can't see a guy who is so deep into distribution would want to go head to head with so many of you. There are so many install shops out there - many whom already order from Fellers or Cheetawrap. I think a lot of people are jumping to conclusions. Myself included o_O

player

I am sure there is no possible chance he could start wrapping with better materials. That's too big of a leap.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
So what's the problem here? He's using cheap likely china-based wrap vinyl and doing R&D on customers who wouldn't be willing to pay top dollar for a wrap anyway. If you are a reputable shop, why are you worried. To me this is no different than you competing against a guy running out of a garage doing it for half the price. The difference for the most part will always be quality. This is a tiny shop testing out vinyl with the end-user as the guinea pig. End-users you'd probably have turned away anyway.

If you are worried about him going after your business, then there really isn't anything stopping any of you from buying a sea can of cheap product yourself.

BUT - if by chance it turns out that he is able to develop a decent product, I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure distributing it on a mass scale would be where the big cash will be. HMM if only he had access to a large distributor who would be willing to take that on.. Then congrats now you can take that kid's hard earned money who took 3 years to save up, and instead of him going to some random garage, you can keep that business. This could be opportunity for a shop to expand their market - how reputable you want to be will be up to you I guess.. Are you going to tell me that if he develops a good product and is willing to sell it on mass scale that you will turn your nose up and not consider it?

I really just can't see a guy who is so deep into distribution would want to go head to head with so many of you. There are so many install shops out there - many whom already order from Fellers or Cheetawrap. I think a lot of people are jumping to conclusions. Myself included o_O
Many people can pay top dollar but dont need to, they dont need top quality, longevity or any of the things that sign people keep telling them that they need. How many color changes do people expect 5-10 years out of? Maybe he will go the Maaco route and offer levels too but I have a strange feeling he already has dialed in what 80% of this market wants. He isnt doing R&D either, you guys are grasping at straws and fantasizing about his failure.
The guy has this figured out and judging by his success in the wrap industry, knows more about the market than just about anyone out there. Keep thinking you're smarter than him and all of the data and feedback he has collected.
Why would he want to get into it? Because good businesses innovate. Its a mature market, he sees an opportunity that no one else is even looking at and he will walk in the open door. Poo Poo on it all that you want but it would be more wise to keep your eyes on it and start crunching numbers if this is what you do.

Z SIGNS

Does a fine restaurant with an excellent reputation care if a McDonald's opens in their hood.Who cares what Frank Fella is doing.It's a free country and all is fair in love and signs. If you do care you have a problem.

• Agree
Reactions: Bly

ikarasu

This is a little different. How do you think McDonald's would feel if their supplier opened a McDon's and sold food for half the price of them?

I don't care if a business opens up across the street. Infact a sign business opened up literally right by our business... Not a problem. A bit of competition is healthy.

But you can't compete with a company that can source a roll of media for $100... And has every single color on hand. A supplier should stay a supplier.

rydods

Member for quite some time.
2 questions I get asked a lot, what does a color change cost and will it cover rust? I have a number (range) that I carry with me in my head for a price. Even if it's less than a paint job and even when they say, "that's actually not that expensive", it's always out of their price range and not really something they are willing to "pull the trigger" on.

Finding a way to get those people to proceed with wrapping their vehicle is not a bad business model and I guess I wouldn't be quick to judge a competitor for seeing a possible good opportunity. If Frank is seeing it this way, but I can't say he is. I do, but it my number wouldn't be $1000.

bannertime

I'm going to get one crazier. I think it's an awful idea for a supplier to be in competition with ANY portion of their clientele. Yet, if they came to me and offered something like a co-brand, I'd probably consider it. I don't personally want to do wraps, but if I had a self sustained team, then I'd consider it.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Makes zero difference to me. We don't do color change wraps (or really too many printed wraps) so more power to him. And to the suckers that buy them.

Reveal1

Many people can pay top dollar but dont need to, they dont need top quality, longevity or any of the things that sign people keep telling them that they need. How many color changes do people expect 5-10 years out of? Maybe he will go the Maaco route and offer levels too but I have a strange feeling he already has dialed in what 80% of this market wants. He isnt doing R&D either, you guys are grasping at straws and fantasizing about his failure.
The guy has this figured out and judging by his success in the wrap industry, knows more about the market than just about anyone out there. Keep thinking you're smarter than him and all of the data and feedback he has collected.
Why would he want to get into it? Because good businesses innovate. Its a mature market, he sees an opportunity that no one else is even looking at and he will walk in the open door. Poo Poo on it all that you want but it would be more wise to keep your eyes on it and start crunching numbers if this is what you do.

Hmm - new member, four posts all extolling FF and how brilliant he is. Frank, is that you? Welcome to Signs 101.