• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hand drawn & lettered

gnatt66

freebasedan translator:

"I'M LOGGED AT THE LIBARARY LEARNING ABOUT HOW THE MANNNNNNNNNNNN IS KEEPING US PLUGGED INTO THE MATRIX MANNNNNNN AND HOW WE GOTTA UNHOOK FROM THIS FAT MAN'S MATRIX OF HOTDOGS MANNNN AND LETTER OUR WINDOWS WITH THE SECRET CODE OF THE SUPERIOR ORDER OF THE SKINNY BENDY BRUSH WEILDING UBER SIGNDUDE MANNNNNNNNNNNNN."

think his brush box smells like patchouli with a faint hint of 30 years of seeds rolling over it?

i'm fat, i have a printer, i can't hand letter...i think i'm your satan dude.

Billct2

I had a customer come in and ask for "an oldfashioned vinyl lettered sign not one of those printed ones", geez I'm getting old.....

joeshaul

When I was your age, we used to walk to school uphill, both ways, through snow! We didn't have any of these fancy dancy "bicycles", we had horses and cattle, and if a horse looked at me the wrong way, I shot it. Once I shot the horse of a philanthropist, I was challenged to a duel, so I shot him, but as he fell down, he got one off and it landed in my foot. The doctor dressed the wound, but it got gangrenous and I eventually had to saw it off with my own bare hands because I shot the doctor afterwards. While one legged riding through the great plains my horse looked at me wrong, so you know what had to happen, unfortunately I was on its back at the time the bullet went through the skull, I collided and lost my other leg. I crawled for 50 miles to the nearest trading post, and used the telegraph to tell my family my trials and tribulations, but as I was talking to the telegraph operator, I noticed his horse through the window, and it was staring at me, not in the good way. Needless to say I was kicked out one gunshot later before my tale could be finished. I just found these forums yesterday, so I thought today would be a good day to finally relay my tale.

GoodPeopleFlags

freebasedan translator:

"I'M LOGGED AT THE LIBARARY LEARNING ABOUT HOW THE MANNNNNNNNNNNN IS KEEPING US PLUGGED INTO THE MATRIX MANNNNNNN AND HOW WE GOTTA UNHOOK FROM THIS FAT MAN'S MATRIX OF HOTDOGS MANNNN AND LETTER OUR WINDOWS WITH THE SECRET CODE OF THE SUPERIOR ORDER OF THE SKINNY BENDY BRUSH WEILDING UBER SIGNDUDE MANNNNNNNNNNNNN."

think his brush box smells like patchouli with a faint hint of 30 years of seeds rolling over it?

i'm fat, i have a printer, i can't hand letter...i think i'm your satan dude.

Please don't insult hippies by comparing them (us) to him. :peace!:
Peace, love and signs!

GoodPeopleFlags

When I was your age, we used to walk to school uphill, both ways, through snow! We didn't have any of these fancy dancy "bicycles", we had horses and cattle, and if a horse looked at me the wrong way, I shot it. Once I shot the horse of a philanthropist, I was challenged to a duel, so I shot him, but as he fell down, he got one off and it landed in my foot. The doctor dressed the wound, but it got gangrenous and I eventually had to saw it off with my own bare hands because I shot the doctor afterwards. While one legged riding through the great plains my horse looked at me wrong, so you know what had to happen, unfortunately I was on its back at the time the bullet went through the skull, I collided and lost my other leg. I crawled for 50 miles to the nearest trading post, and used the telegraph to tell my family my trials and tribulations, but as I was talking to the telegraph operator, I noticed his horse through the window, and it was staring at me, not in the good way. Needless to say I was kicked out one gunshot later before my tale could be finished. I just found these forums yesterday, so I thought today would be a good day to finally relay my tale.

That's just awesome! :thumb:

dwt

the forum is not managed properly to eliminate the the un-necessary banter of people who want to compete with painted signs.

You don't seem to realize that a fair amount of the folks you're bashing are quite capable of doing both.
It's about using the right tools for the job, not the Holy battle of good vs. evil.

GP

I have always admired the hand letterer's salty, but laid back attitude (with certain exclusions))))))

This guy comes off like the Cappy of hand lettering.

ps - after thinking about it, i don't know Old Paint, so I should keep my mouth shut - though I doubt they get any saltier, or laid back for that matter. More a reference to his out-spoken stance on technology vs art, new vs old, etc. My apologies.

Freehandan

Hippies are often enemies of progress and political extroverts that don't believe in hygiene. I am not a hippy, but thanks. If I am not mistaken, someone tried to make Craig feel bad like he was wasting his time doing the job in paint by proclaiming the superior benefits of vinyl. A few others got the notion of importance for lettering in paint. Would that be part of the 'hand made signs' acceptable commentation? I have also seen digitaly replaced tasks get the best of peoples physiques here in the USA to the point that it has been an issue for many years, I "didn't start the fire" (thanks Billy Joel!) Art that mimics photography is a waste of time to me as well. Just like hand lettering, A painted piece of art can capture things that the computer cant. I Love libraries, but don't use the computer at one. 1SHOT is not as good as it used to be, either.
I will have everyone know that the main reason I looked at this thread was to see the work of someone who I can respect without knowing. Having seen and been subject to some sour comments, I Retaliated for the cause. I have been reprimanded by the monitor for the comments I made, which were no more a worse degree than the initial offenders, in my opinion. People is the sign of the times. And effort is noticed and becoming important again. I merely want to promote the positiveness of it all so we can all be real, and healthy again.
I am now offering a Free Address and Drop Shadow with this weeks contracts. I am Also offering Free Graphics in the colors used in each job within my discretion. I am also offering to paint a Free Music Note on each business I work at to promote the music arts and to spread joy. Thank You and Have a Wonderfull Day.
2 'L's in wonderfull is to symbolize extra love. :)

SignManiac

Nobody has ever tried to make Craig feel bad. He is a respected member here who is admired for his skill at hand lettering. He has maintained his craft to this day even with all of the competition he has from vinyl without bashing all of us here. He knows how to conduct himself on a forum such as this.

He does not portray himself as the second coming of Christ. Try to read, listen, and learn more before inserting those dirty sandals in your food tasting orifice. That would be my only advice if you want to fit in around here.

k.a.s.

Yeah really, I think the people that hand letter or do other types of handcrafted things are highly respected here. No one here disrespects them, and the was certainly no call for you to go off the deep end and rant against anything computer.

Kevin

Mal

Very nice clean work Craig! Great craftsmanship.
I think "Why paint" is a legit question though....I'm sure that in person the handlettered quality is more evident than in the photos. But from the pictures it could be said, Why not vinyl? The font is nice, but doesn't suggest handlettering...it's a common style that would look the same in vinyl. And despite what Freehandan says, paint does not last longer than vinyl, especially colors like red. So I would do it by hand if the customer was willing to pay the premium price, but would have no qualms about doing it in vinyl.

Gotta wade in here and agree with Bill. I have utmost respect for hand-letterers, I cannot do it myself. But in this case, I saw Vivaldi. It's a pretty font, perfect choice, but I didn't see hand lettering. Craig---this is in no way denigrating your effort---it's now a hand-work vs vinyl debate
-mal

dwt

it's now a hand-work vs vinyl debate
-mal

If you could see this job from the sidewalk on Princeton Ave you can definitely tell that it is not vinyl. The color is rich and creamy and overlapping brush strokes give it fantastic texture. The pics posted may not look much different than vinyl because of the distance of the camera and the sharp edges he pulls with the brush, but it is the difference of night and day if you were walking next to it.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
If you could see this job from the sidewalk on Princeton Ave you can definitely tell that it is not vinyl. The color is rich and creamy and overlapping brush strokes give it fantastic texture. The pics posted may not look much different than vinyl because of the distance of the camera and the sharp edges he pulls with the brush, but it is the difference of night and day if you were walking next to it.

This makes a lot of sense and I think the method fits the application.
(damn!- I think I just agreed with Old Paint).

Of course it is going to get even more muddled once Fred releases his
"Rich and Creamy Overlapping Brush Strokes Seamless Tiles" DVD to the printing community.....

wayne k
guam usa

chopper

Craig,
beautiful work, I love to see hand lettering,
as for freebaseingdan you really need to back off on the pipe a bit...and try to put together a coherent sentence or so, I also agree Wayne you were quite funny,
so if you can see the brush strokes you must have lettered it on the out side of the glass, if you did that here the kids would have that scraped off in a week..
//chopper

Freehandan

Freebasingdan Huh? How ORIGINAL......CHoPPER. Your a piece of garbage for saying that, You know that. Dumb repetative skull as well. Again, How Original. I could be a baby and flag ya, But hopefully the Monitor has enough sense to look into this thread more if there is a problem with me defending myself to your.....Poop.
Why don't you sell me them brushes you don't use, are they any good?

Freehandan

Funny how many people get attached and offensive for the computer!!! HAHAHAHA!!
I still think that Hand lettering is the best and ultimate. So much so that some folks refer to me as Christ! Thanks!!:ROFLMAO: