• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hand drawn & lettered

Bigdawg

Just Me
Awesome work Craig, thanks for sharing!

As for Freehandan....I have NO idea what you just said!

I think he just said fat people were lazy and no fat person can hand letter... and computers/vinyl were invented so fat people can do what the skinny brush guys do.

Very nice work Craig... an honor to have gotten to meet you - just wish I could have absorbed some of that artistry!

showcase 66

Very nice! I wish I had the ability to letter like that. I can make the sketch on paper look really good but when I get a paint brush in my hand, its like I am in kindergarten learning to write.

SignManiac

Why Vinyl??!! That is the real deal! Looks Tits!. It will last longer than vinyl as well. Those are some of my favorite jobs...You walk in..You talk...They say yeah, How much?......I go to the truck (or my bicycle with my paintbox strapped to it..).....and I Am painting within 15minutes!!! ( How long does it take to come up with a proof on that there computer???DUH!)
Again I say!!! WHY VINYL????!!
And what if the customer did not have enough for that D.S.??? Gonna let em fail in business because they don't have enough money to look as good as they could??!!
......Vinyl Reepers!!!!! Reeping less in 2011!!

P.S...The fact that craig is not fat allows him to reach these artfull feats. As an artist of his caliber, he knows that your body is to honor the artfull purpose and tasks his soul and the world needs. Thus.. the invention of the whole automated industry with signs as well as other things, set the fat-man apart from the non-lazy and trully alive perveyors of art. An over wight person cannot stand that long and will weigh the difference of why he thinks computer generated signs are better to the customer. So they can get the job themselves without having to put much effort, rendering them LAZY and worldly unhealthy as they slander the painted letter.
This is a basic analogy on how to fuel our taking back of the world as artists in the times ahead. If you get what I am saying, then you will get a better future in lieu of all the fakes who have been at the helm, In ALL of Life!

Are you off you meds or something? I have no idea why you are ranting like a lunatic in all of your post. There's nothing wrong with paint or vinyl, there is no right or wrong way to make a sign.

It's advertising, pure and simple. You almost sound bitter about technology. And before you go making assumptions, I've been in the business nearly as long as you are old. I started with brush and evolved to technology and can make a sign either way. And you are way wrong about paint outlasting vinyl. 1-Shot turned to sh!t and won't last as long as HP cast vinyl will, and I'm speaking from experience.

You might want to take a chill pill before you alienate yourself around here. Try to keep an open mind dude.

OldPaint

i still do PAINT...............and in certain jobs, like the ANTIQUE STORE......... it gives AUTHENTICITY..........to the "antique" feel of the store. i do a lot of "old car" stuff. paint is how it was done PRIOR to the mid 70's. really looks like crap, if you gota 1950's-60's vehicle WITH VINYL STUCK ON IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! also if you are showing the vehicle, POINTS ARE DEDUCTED if you have VINYL........ which didnt exist when the vehicle was made.

dwt

I was in O-Town a few weeks ago and spotted this very storefront and the brushwork looks great.
For an antique store the painted letter has a more appropriate feel than a monotone vinyl would have given it. The texture fits very well with whats inside.
Great job Craig!

Pat Whatley

and in certain jobs, like the ANTIQUE STORE......... it gives AUTHENTICITY..........to the "antique" feel of the store.

When it's a pretty standard computer font in just a base color 99.9% of the people who see it will never notice the difference. Don't get me wrong, it's pretty impressive how accurately he reproduced it.

Brandon708

.You walk in..You talk...They say yeah, How much?......I go to the truck (or my bicycle with my paintbox strapped to it..).....and I Am painting within 15minutes!!! i

There is a guy in my neighborhood that I think he rides a bike. He has hand lettered every damn store front in a 10 mile radius. You know its the same guy because all the letters are exactly the same. I hate to bash him on this site but they all look like sh!t. He has to be doing them for about $20 per store front because he is EVERYWHERE. It makes me want to go and paint their windows the right way but since he has set the price so low i doubt its worth attempting.

Freehandan

Brandon your just a chump. Keep payin for your equipment and claiming your a sophomore. You sound about old enough to be ignorant. Must be jealous of a Free Spirit. Those folks with 20$ signs can eat better and endure the monopoly of encroachment from corporations if they are in that way. Or they are supporting the arts. I havent checked out what you do exactly but your avatar is bland and plastic. As are your comments to a few of my posts. Don't forget, this IS America. We are allowed to have oppinions and signs reflecting them here.

Dave Drane

I think he just said fat people were lazy and no fat person can hand letter... and computers/vinyl were invented so fat people can do what the skinny brush guys do.

Very nice work Craig... an honor to have gotten to meet you - just wish I could have absorbed some of that artistry!

Stacy are you saying that me an Craig are skinny??:ROFLMAO:

Freehandan

Alienate!! That is all the tek-folks have been doing to people like me, with their skillless criticizm to consumers on why they should get all the work via machine. I have worked in 4 different sign shops- I learned Hand lettering after I made chump change using stencils putting Big Cash in my bosses pocket. The rest of the time I was weeding and building signs. I Made and Installed about 150 signs in the Sawgrass Mills mall- If you are familiar, Those are signs of the times. I also have cut plywood signs in the area still that are 13 years old and all but a few of the 40+ letters are deteriorated, where as some Gemini that I installed are deformed and eroding. I also have a few Acrylic and Older 1shot and even Rustolium painted windows that are still up and fine.
It would be responsible for those who are enabled with technology to understand and respect what is tried and true and original. Vinyl has its places, but my bitterness is long overdue in a world that is slow to learn. There are very few art-involved trades left to make a living at. I want this one to re-exist. If it wasn't for computers, some would trully starve. I refuse anymore, and I will paint every storefront I can and make sure, by rant or rave or skill or price, that they will call me back the next time as well. And the smiles will be as real as the people. When I went to school for advertising and visual communications, I learned sumtin!

Freehandan

Save Money (and vinyl for vehicles), spent time outside with the world ....Feel Great....Improve skill....feel zen....meet people....get kudos....get other kinds of and more work...Bam!! Freedom! The streets are lined with Gold at a cost of about not much! And you can just drive and earn your way accross America! Also...There are mANY BIG AND LARGE ARTISTS that are Amazing and not lazy. ANd I have been told throughout life to calm down and take a chill pill. Thats ok, you must be slow and offended. My artistic creativity and finesse employ the motivation for my..writings and benefit me to do things like paint 50 letters in a row! And that sign would take me more than 10 minutes. I could charge 40$ per window though. :)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
How do you get over your distaste for digital gear long enough to log in here and talk with your peers?
Shouldn't you be free handing with a pen and paper to do this kind of thing?
Weird that those evil "tek-folks" came up with something that allows someone in Florida to communicate realtime with someone in guam dirt cheap.

wayne k
guam usa

k.a.s.

Hello, I'm Kevin, I'm fat and use a computer. Therefore my work is crappy and non-artistic. (turn off sarcasum)

Many of us here use a computer to create great works of art, stop hating on one way or another. Sign Maniac was exactly correct, it is just advertising, and different ways of doing it. Get over yourself.

One question though, isnt it hipocritical of you to sit on here using a computer to learn and talk about signs with others. If you hate the computer so bad why are you on it?

BTW very nice work on the windows Craig.

Kevin

anotherdog

I want to be the first solvent printer to complain about the fact that all the new signs are thin film digital 3d video holograms. It takes all the skill out of the traditional way of printing signage using solvent printers.

I remember when It took skill to design a sign in illustrator. Now a kid can design a sign using a smartphone in 2 minutes...

I go to the gallery and admire the portraits, but honestly how many of the great masters would have used a camera if it was available.

The world moves on. I have to make what sells. If it doesn't sell its a hobby.

Freehandan

So, it was OK for others to tell me to chill out and stop sniffing paint a few times?? And I am not allowed to contrast the life-styles and tribulations of doing things the Old way when people doing things the new way repeatedly slander and degrade the facet of this industry that I am in??
Seems to me that there is a double standard going on here. I also seen a few posts that contain profanity within the threads I was replying to. I hope you are aware of them. They all have to do with the difference between Paint and Vinyl. The forum I was in was for Hand made signs. A few people that have opinions about hand lettering on there have been attacked by purveyors of plastic. So shouldn't they be the ones addressed and removed so I do not have to see their ignorance and market degrading attitude? I would like to know if they have been addressed for posting negative responses to the industry the forum is pertained to. I was given the impression that the forum was about the competition, since so many are pro-vinyl. I exist in the tone I display because the forum is not managed properly to eliminate the the un-necessary banter of people who want to compete with painted signs.
Making signs is a job. For years the people with digital capabilities have walked all over people like me in the industry. Your management is letting that behavior be justified and continue. Just check out the Brandon708?? comments and see that he attacked me personaly, as well as a few others did, before I referenced them.
Be Fair and aware, please.
With great power(Megabites is power??) comes great responsibility. Do your job better please.

Attachments

• eagle window mural.jpg
    eagle window mural.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 99

Freehandan

I got points, You got pixels. Ive got paints, you got printers.
I think I will look for work painting a cellphone and a computer on the wall today.
There is plenty of work now that folks forgot how to do things the manual way!

signmeup

He'll be banned soon.
You gotta admit, he's entertaining... in a "can't-believe-this-guy-is-for-real" kinda way.

SignManiac

+1

Craig paints signs and I don't see him ranting and raving like some paint thinner inhaling, born again Michelangelo on a crusade to do gods work so mankind can be spared from the sins and wages of the devil with his evil digital devices.