• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Hey Betsy from 3M!

Custom_Grafx

I bought my first roll about a couple of months back - a high tack gloss white. i haven't tried their other stuff yet, but had some samples to test and they printed nicely. I don't know why but their white has a blue coloured adhesive - which I haven't seen before.

One reason i haven't bought yet is that they don't do 60 or 64"... however will do later this year i was told.

Price wise, over here it is pretty much the same as avery, maybe a tad less, but not by much. They also have a pretty large range of coloured vinyls in poly and cast, as well as their carbon fibre and faux leather cast air release.

Ritrama - I had a couple bad things happen there with white polymeric with contamination and I didn't like the adhesive. Their gloss clear polymeric was good though - i did a lot of reverse print with white back for acrylic rear apply with that.

Hate to say right now coz of all this 3M stuff, but after hearing so many good things about it all the time, I thought I should go that path so just ordered a whole bunch of stuff from them...

njshorts

I have informed our reps that we will no longer be buying 3m, we have samples of other materials to replace it on the way... Plus Oracal in-house ready to print/install.

Biker Scout

I'm just going to invent a printer that moves around the car. Direct-to-Car Printing I'll call it. Then I won't need 3M ever, nor an installer. Just paper mask out the windows and other things. Hit print and the car gets printed, just like at the car wash.

MUUHAHAHAHA!! :biggrin:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm just going to invent a printer that moves around the car. Direct-to-Car Printing I'll call it. Then I won't need 3M ever, nor an installer. Just paper mask out the windows and other things. Hit print and the car gets printed, just like at the car wash.

MUUHAHAHAHA!! :biggrin:

Don't waste money on paper for the windows...... these people want it down and dirty cheap, so just roll the windows down. Over-spray is just a little inconvenience they can deal with later. :rolleyes:

modernmav

I'm glad you posted that link jesse, I was going to mention that I thought they already had that product but didnt know any of the details. Thats pretty neat lol

Biker Scout

Damn it... :banghead:

OK, mine will be better, faster and cheaper to buy. I'll still charge 3M prices because mine is sooo cool! Then eventually I'll sell the machines to every mom and pop shop in town. I'll lock in the ink purchase though my company, create some bogus certification program that the shops will have to Re-Up every year and pay a royalty. HAHA! Any clown willing to pay can do car wraps cheaper than it costs to buy a roll of 3M... then where will they be?

cgsigns_jamie

I asked why I should still buy 3M material if they're going to be my competitor on their facebook page.. this was their response:

Hi Jamie, Thanks for your question. First, I want to assure you that 3M is definitely not in competition with you or any graphics manufacturer or installer. We are creating an eHub or network that will drive factory authorized, personalized and special edition graphics as an accessory. It connects auto dealerships with qualified graphic manufacturers--like you-- and installers that can produce/install graphics at the dealerships. We are actually driving certain business into the channel to grow the market size for small and large vehicle graphics. We're also very pleased at the positive response we're getting at ISA and the number of GMs that are signing on. We hope you will too.

So I guess if I want to continue doing wraps I have to work for 3M!

Freese

I asked why I should still buy 3M material if they're going to be my competitor on their facebook page.. this was their response:

So I guess if I want to continue doing wraps I have to work for 3M!

Actually from that quote it sounds like you won't be working for 3M at all, but 3M would help facilitate more business by offering it at the dealership level.

I don't see why people are revolting against 3M...if anything I think it will help drive the wrap business.

HulkSmash

Actually from that quote it sounds like you won't be working for 3M at all, but 3M would help facilitate more business by offering it at the dealership level.

I don't see why people are revolting against 3M...if anything I think it will help drive the wrap business.

For them, not us.

How can we compete? They offer the same vinyl we DID. since they manufacture it.. i can only ASSUME they'll do it cheaper.

Oh yeah, wait i forgot, they can and WILL offer a better warranty than they offer US. the people they SELL it to.

Let me explain something to you. Original wraps is 2 blocks down the road from me. They do outsource wraps, BUT ONLY to FREELANCE install techs.

If they need one done in a state or town where a freelance isn't readily available then obviously they'll use a shop there to do the job.

I can tell you right now they REFUSE to give their competition business, and i DO NOT see that changing.

If they do change it, they'll be contacting your shop with a rate they are willing to pay for an install. Be prepared to laugh cause it wont be enough.

Malkin

Interesting....... I have noticed a DECREASE in the quality of the 3M IJ180C lately, I have to wonder if they will increase their quality control when they see for themselves what it's like?

We have still been using it up to this point, but this will probably push me over the edge to use Oracal instead.

Rooster

If they're just creating a network hub (which they already have with their trimline network) then why did they buy that shop?

It's one thing to go into competition with your customers. Now they add lying to your face on top of it. Nice move!

Craig Sjoquist

Oh this is funny...
Novel idea, America at it's best, if you can sell it too the public that's creating jobs nation wide much can easily be local printing graphic firms I'm assuming using 3M products would bennifit more.
Thank you 3M

buttons

Oh this is funny...
Novel idea, America at it's best, if you can sell it too the public that's creating jobs nation wide much can easily be local printing graphic firms I'm assuming using 3M products would bennifit more.
Thank you 3M

You should really learn to use punctuation, spelling and proper grammar. It would help get your point across much easier.

CheapVehicleWrap

Interesting....... I have noticed a DECREASE in the quality of the 3M IJ180C lately, I have to wonder if they will increase their quality control when they see for themselves what it's like?

We have still been using it up to this point, but this will probably push me over the edge to use Oracal instead.

I had a "twig" embedded between the lam & liner the other day. Proof they're manufacturing this stuff outdoors.