• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you dress at work? Uniforms?

fresh

So, picture it. :doh:

You're measuring the windows being lettered and putting your guide lines on. You go to wherever you have the vinyl, and stick it on the window. Something is a little snug and you take your xacto knife and trim it but it drops outta you hand striking your leg, making a small gash and then continues falling and embeds itself into the top of your foot. You let out a little squeal and place the knife on the table from which you're working. Due to your pain, you place the knife up there and some Mother with her little kid walks by, sees you in pain and while asking if you need help, the kid knocks the knife off the table, (where you didn't put it back safely, due to your negligence) and it now falls on him. Wherever doesn't matter at this point, but how do you explain that to your insurance company, when they ask you some specific questions on how you conduct your business ??

I don't think our comfort is really a necessity when it comes to doing things correctly.

Do you think our soldiers over in the desert carrying an average of 85lbs of gear say, ya know it's hot out today..... I'm just gonna wear my flip-flops and some shorts and take a sling shot instead of my gun ??

Gino, no matter what anyone says, you will ALWAYS find a way to disagree with them. A fresh xacto blade can cut through jeans. it can pierce through sneakers. I'm not going to require an employee to wear steel toe boots on a truck door lettering. Or any job that doesn't require power tools for that matter.

And in 12 years, I personally, nor has anyone who works for me ever endangered the public by carelessly leaving a knife within a child's reach. Maybe you and your employees have, and that is how your formulated this outrageous scenario.

NOT ONLY THAT. Please don't compare or equate our jobs with those in the military. Its incredibly disrespectful to the women and men who have served our country.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Unfortunately, fresh, YOU don't get to make those decisions if or when something happens. You are supposed to be following what your insurance company will cover you for..... or workmans comp. If your insurance company allows you to wear that sort of attire when out, then you probably aren't covered correctly..... whether you're doing a store front window or anything else in your line of work, unless you lied to your agent.

Your 12 years is about 1/4 of what I've been around in this industry and between the horror stories, magazine articles, many discussions and some first hand incidences...... you evidently ain't seen diddly. Either you live a very sheltered life or you just are not observant. That is why the insurance industry questions how and what each and every employee does. The person working behind a desk is not required to do what the person out on the street is covered for. However, if you use the same person for various things, than I believe you need to tell your agent. There are instances when we work in a relaxed atmosphere/environment, but when we go out, we have or bring the needed attire.

If you have employees, you must almost automatically make them follow the rules and laws. As for yourself, if you own the business, do as you like, as you're the one footing the bill..... right or wrong.

As for the demonstration, I don't see how that is an insult to anyone wearing a military uniform, but at least they follow the rules, unlike you.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
NOT ONLY THAT. Please don't compare or equate our jobs with those in the military. Its incredibly disrespectful to the women and men who have served our country.

It's ok. This is actually the job I did in the military. Visual Information Craftsman aka graphic design. We had a large format printer, laminator, lot's of xacto's...

Oh and occasionally used an M16. lol

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
I'm surprised so many wear shorts. Pretty much any jobsite or shop we work at requires pants and steel toe boots at a minimum.

In ~10 years on the job I've had a total of 3 jobs that required PPE, 2 at military bases and one 15 story apartments ADA job. Not often sign companies are on an active job site with overhead hazards, since we're last in line on installation schedule.

But then again, you paint heavy equipment.

equippaint

Gino, no matter what anyone says, you will ALWAYS find a way to disagree with them. A fresh xacto blade can cut through jeans. it can pierce through sneakers. I'm not going to require an employee to wear steel toe boots on a truck door lettering. Or any job that doesn't require power tools for that matter.

And in 12 years, I personally, nor has anyone who works for me ever endangered the public by carelessly leaving a knife within a child's reach. Maybe you and your employees have, and that is how your formulated this outrageous scenario.

I think that you are minimizing the safety factor of wearing proper work attire. With lace up boots, you cut back your chances of other injuries such as a twisted ankle. A sheet of aluminum can do some pretty major damage too. You cant conceivably change your clothing for each task that you are going to do through the day so its best to be prepared. In addition, if an accident does happen, you will have to explain to your adjuster why the employee was not properly dressed.

equippaint

In ~10 years on the job I've had a total of 3 jobs that required PPE, 2 at military bases and one 15 story apartments ADA job. Not often sign companies are on an active job site with overhead hazards, since we're last in line on installation schedule.

But then again, you paint heavy equipment.
Overhead hazards aren't the only thing for PPE. Sign companies work overhead all of the time too, have you never seen a sign crane? There are also OSHA standards and they would apply to anyone on any jobsite. Just because you do not understand the regulations, does not mean that they do not exist.

fresh

I think that you are minimizing the safety factor of wearing proper work attire. With lace up boots, you cut back your chances of other injuries such as a twisted ankle. A sheet of aluminum can do some pretty major damage too. You cant conceivably change your clothing for each task that you are going to do through the day so its best to be prepared. In addition, if an accident does happen, you will have to explain to your adjuster why the employee was not properly dressed.

i specifically mentioned doing a vinyl window lettering job. sometimes they take all day. or a truck wrap, which usually does take all day. if someone twists their ankle installing a sticker on a door, they are a klutz and wearing boots isn't going to stop that.

did you even see my original post? I said I was FLEXIBLE with attire in extreme heat. I didn't say "dress in beach wear" or "ignore all precautions."

Last edited:

fresh

If your insurance company allows you to wear that sort of attire when out, then you probably aren't covered correctly.....

Gino, you are just so smart. You know literally everything about everything. How dare I make decisions that don't effect you or anyone else without your permission. Would you like me to send you all of my insurance policies to double check that I'm covered in the event of a catastrophe? What about my personal auto insurance and home owner's insurance, would you like to audit those, too?

And what, exactly, is "that sort of attire"? I did not mention a single specific piece of "attire" for you to judge.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I'm more worried about heat related illness then a twisted ankle. I worked a week in McAllen in August last year and nearly ended up in the hospital... Heat illness is a very real thing in Texas.

equippaint

i specifically mentioned doing a vinyl window lettering job. sometimes they take all day. or a truck wrap, which usually does take all day. if someone twists their ankle installing a sticker on a door, they are a klutz and wearing boots isn't going to stop that.

did you even see my original post? I said I was FLEXIBLE with attire in extreme heat. I didn't say "dress in beach wear" or "ignore all precautions."
Unfortunately, employers are responsible for their klutzy workers including their poor or unsafe decisions. Proper footwear wont stop the fall but it supports your ankle to keep it from rolling. Either way, what you do is your business, this was just a discussion.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Gino, you are just so smart. You know literally everything about everything. How dare I make decisions that don't effect you or anyone else without your permission. Would you like me to send you all of my insurance policies to double check that I'm covered in the event of a catastrophe? What about my personal auto insurance and home owner's insurance, would you like to audit those, too?

And what, exactly, is "that sort of attire"? I did not mention a single specific piece of "attire" for you to judge.

Well, thank you for the compliment, but I don't know it all..... that's for dang sure, but suffice it to say..... with your attitude towards things when you don't get your way, I'd say you might wanna stay inside and just work in an airconditioned padded room. You'll be safer that way.

Being irresponsible is no excuse to judge others to your low standards.

Also, I never said we don't wear comfortable things. Like mentioned by others already, we are ready for whatever the occasion brings to us.

No need to look at your insurance records, but dental impressions might help.................:roflmao:

Johnny Best

Hey Gino, you might find Fresh's dental impressions on your butt. Check for them next time you look back there.

Last edited:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I can't turn that far around.... and I ain't gonna look back there in a mirror. :thumb:

TimToad

I'm more worried about heat related illness then a twisted ankle. I worked a week in McAllen in August last year and nearly ended up in the hospital... Heat illness is a very real thing in Texas.

We just finished a stretch of 34 days over 100 out of the last 60 days. And not just 101 or 102. Out of those 34, probably 20 of them were between 105-110 degrees. Aside from avoiding outside work between 12-5pm, we re-arranged our days to allow for the least risk of heat exhaustion. We contacted every client expecting an installation on the hottest days and re-scheduled or did the work before 11am.

For an average sales call, we'll make sure we have clean shorts, jeans and /or button short sleeve shirt or pullover depending on the weather. More importantly we show up when we said we would, with measuring tools, clipboard, business cards, cell phone or camera, etc.

Many of our clients are working class contractors, winemakers who work their own vineyards, etc. so its rare that we need to impress them with too fancy of apparel. They are busy and just want solutions to their needs without a lot of frivolity and smoke being blown at them. They relate to us better because we look and act like them, hardworking, honest, ethical, etc. No false airs needed, just competency, professionalism and friendliness.

We can't predict when folks walk in at the shop, but the front area is kept clean, good work samples abound, we greet everyone with a smile and friendly banter and of course our shop dog Lola butters most up with her overtly friendly greetings.

Last edited:

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
We just finished a stretch of 34 days over 100 out of the last 60 days. And not just 101 or 102. Out of those 34, probably 20 of them were between 105-110 degrees. Aside from avoiding outside work between 12-5pm, we re-arranged our days to allow for the least risk of heat exhaustion. We contacted every client expecting an installation on the hottest days and re-scheduled or did the work before 11am.

Must be nice being able to do that.

Though you were praising your California weather as one of the reasons you all put up with the cost of living? Sounds like it's as hot there as it is here.

Last edited:

TimToad

Must be nice being able to do that.

Oh, it doesn't always work out that way if there is a hard deadline to meet like we recently had with two dimensional logos that had to mounted to a rock wall monument right before a grand opening of a vineyard. We got out there as early as we could and by 9:30 it was already in the 90's. You do what you have to do to keep the folks paying for our work happy and do it as professionally as you can.

Its not like a typical client is immune to the weather. They know, they are out in it too.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Oh, it doesn't always work out that way if there is a hard deadline to meet like we recently had with two dimensional logos that had to mounted to a rock wall monument right before a grand opening of a vineyard. We got out there as early as we could and by 9:30 it was already in the 90's. You do what you have to do to keep the folks paying for our work happy and do it as professionally as you can.

Its not like a typical client is immune to the weather. They know, they are out in it too.

What about that nice California weather you talk about? 100s are not a selling point

TimToad

What about that nice California weather you talk about? 100s are not a selling point

100 with less than 10% humidity is tolerable. Just not the kind of weather you want to drill hundreds of stud holes in a rock wall in. It also cools down 30-40 degrees EVERY night after the sun goes down. We like hot weather and its only that hot for about 2-3 months. The rest of the year is very enjoyable and winter is short and nicely temperate. Just cold enough to kill off pests, but pleasant enough to allow you to do outdoor activities year round.

Just 20 minutes away is the coast and even when its 105-110 here in town, it will be 70 at the beach, so its a quick drive after work to go cool down, have a picnic dinner and let the dog play in the surf.

ikarasu

Do different states have different rules? In Canada they do. Our company gets reviewed by works age bc every few years... They go over everything that takes place in the company and give us a classification, which then tells us what ppe and requirements we need.

Our shop has skated by not needing steel toe boots even... First time I've ever worked in a ware house with a forklift that didn't need it. Then we got reclassified and now we do need it.

There's no clothing rules though. Specific stuff like screen printing requires an apron and eye glasses and other stuff... But generally any required PPE in Canada fits over clothes. AFAIK, which admittedly isn't much about the issue, there are no clothing regulations here.

A company can enforce a dress code... But that's it. Hell... A McDonald's worker got asked to wear a bra here because a little too much was showing and customers complained, and it's now going through the courts on whether they're allowed to force workers to wear undergarments...

I think as an owner it makes sense to have employees wear pants when they're working with aluminum, but where does it end? I use a knife a lot... Should I be forced to wear gloves?

It feels like the world is becoming a nanny state. Certain protections should be there such as steel toes, hard hats when needed,etc, but they never know when to stop.

When my kid starts working he'll probably need to goto work in bubble wrap to meet safety standards.