• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you handle....... Employee Fights?

Fanaticus

So, I got two employees who duked it out today. Just got on each others nerves too much. I sent one home to calm down. The other is still working today.

How would you handle a situation like this?

MikePro

i'da sent both home without pay for the day and written-up.
Too busy fighting to be gettin' work done, not to mention disrupting other employees on the clock, then why should I pay them for showing up?

TheSnowman

I have no employees, probably for reasons like this that make me content being a one man shop, but I'd have sent both of them home for sure. Guys are different than girls, and if they duke it out, they can be calm in the same environment again shortly after, so I'd hope they calm down the next day, but each time it'd be go home and no pay if it were me.

GoodPeopleFlags

If you want to keep them both, you're going to have to have a sit-down with them and play mediator. Maybe talk to each one individually (on the phone or away from the shop) and then have a meeting with them.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You can interact with them or not. That's your call, but I wouldn't.

I'd sit them both down and tell them, I have no idea what prompted this behavior and I don't care who started it or who finishes it, but while you're both on my time..... the next time anything remotely like this happens you will be left go immediately.

I pay you to work, not joke around or fight and much less for me to act like Dr Phil.

This is being written into your folder. So, consider this your only warning. :noway:

SD&F

I agree that I would sit down and tell them you pay them to work, not screw around and
waste time. I would write them both up so you have documentation should you need it.
They should have both gone home. If the issues arises again....they are out.

slappy

lock up all the exacto blades and other sharp objects.

Seriously would have been a different story if your equipment would have gotten involved in the fight or broken, and the idiots getting injured on something on your property......

Maybe start looking more closely at your employees. Do urine test for drugs if needed. Do background checks before hiring, watch their moods, and talk to your lawyer and insurance guy. You definitely don't need slapped with a negligent hiring or negligent supervision lawsuit.

bernie

Yikes ... things like this really do happen at work? I'd be furious and definitely would set some ground rules ... and if it happened again, they would be looking for employment elsewhere. Or minimum, the one that was egging it on would be out the door whether a valued employee or not. One would hate to have a customer walk in when this kind of nonsense was going on.

Years ago 2 of my brothers did this at one of the brothers home. Being the oldest and the sister, I didn't say a word but walked over and turned the garden hose on full blast ... the fighting stopped immediately. As far as I know, that was the last physical fight they ever got into with each other.

Maybe you should have a garden hose within easy reach? :)

briankb

Premium Subscriber
lock up all the exacto blades and other shape objects.

Seriously would have been a different story if your equipment would have gotten involved in the fight or broken, and the idiots getting injured on something on your property......

Maybe start looking more closely at your employees. Do urine test for drugs if needed. Do background checks before hiring, watch their moods, and talk to your lawyer and insurance guy. You definitely don't need slapped with a negligent hiring or negligent supervision lawsuit.

:thumb:

Marlene

first rule of sign shop fight club is you don't talk about sign shop fight club

second rule of sign shop fight club is...

seriously a fight that goes beyond yelling usually ends up with all involved fired on the spot.

petepaz

kick both their asses and send them home, tell them to come back when they can act appropriately.

Seriously you have to sit them both down and tell them that won’t be tolerated but might be a good idea
To talk to them individually also to get both sides and try and decipher what really happened.
We have fights at our place occasionally but no violence…YET!
(there are a couple of guys really starting to **** me off and I would like to kick their asses just to relieve my stress)
I think when you spend this much time together with a bunch of people eventually there will be fights, no different than being at home
But you can’t have it so much where it effects the work. If they can’t work together you have to divorce one or both of them.

royster13

I remember a similar circumstance like this from my insurance adjuster days.....Seems 1 of the employees got fired and the employer got sued and lost big time......Employer relied on 1 employees version of events to fire the other and got sued for wrongful dismissal and defamation......In the end employer was responsible for what his own employee said as well as wrongful dismissal.....

You might need a lawyer....In any event, make sure you investigate thoroughly and make copious notes....Get statements from any witnesses you can find and if an employee says they did not see anything get a statement saying that so they do not come back later....

ddarlak

Go Bills!
at the very least i send the home for a 4 days without pay.

why 4 days?? make them come in on friday and make 'em work overtime....

ova

We have make up sex after work

It's only me and my wife

Dave

MrSalumi

Is this a real question? How many times have you heard of employees punching each other and getting to keep their jobs. You pay them to work. If my employees were ever as unprofessional as to engage in fighting at work, I would fire them immediately. Can you imagine the liability you have if you let them stay and they fight again and someone got hurt (or worse)..

Fire them, hire 2 more adults and move on...

my 2 cents