• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you handle....... Employee Fights?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I guess maybe to be politically correct and not overbearing, you could take both employees out for pizza tomorrow and ask them what seems to be the matter ?? Make sure to order plenty of pizza, sodas, french fries and all kinds of stuff to eat. Tell them to order up enough food to take a few meals home with them.

After discussing it a little, you could steer the conversation towards being more gentle and understanding with them and ask if there is anything more they need from you to right this situation. I'd offer up a 50¢ raise to employee #1 and a $3.00 raise to employee #2. If they ask why such a difference, just explain how much you've thought about this
and tell them to discuss it among themselves after you leave and try to come to an understanding. Leave the premises altogether. Let them pay the bill. Put a note on their cars respectively and let them both know they're each fired.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Wow,
we had two guys get into it after hours (went out drinking together).
One was hurt bad enough to not be able to work for a few days.
We let them both go.
The threat of workplace violence - some kind of revenge at the shop was the main consideration for the other employees (and myself) if we had let either of them come back.
A few months later we did bring back the one who got the worst of it after learning the second one had left the island.

wayne k
guam usa

SignProPlus-Chip

You kill one, behead them, put their head on a pike in the employee break room as a lesson/warning to the others....

...trust me, they will fall in line.

rjssigns

At my old workplace both parties would be terminated immediately. It is a legal/liability issue to let either one of them stay. Both have exhibited violent behavior in the workplace.

Here is a little tidbit the old employer used:
"What happens the next time it happens and innocent bystanders get hurt? It also impacts the people that will now be forced to work with them. Can you afford to lose a top drawer employee because employees no longer feel safe"?

Saw this s**t happen many times at my old job. That is why I know a lot about bad behavior in the workplace. Every time someone got canned the people that were left had to go to meetings explaining the whats and whys.

Fun times...

Typestries

Gino's first post is spot on. But, Mosh is also right. It's probably not going to end with the sit down. You have a lot to loose should it go down hard a second time.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Make sure you now have a policy book that states the consequences of fighting, and begin to focus on team building.

JB

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I would send them both home for the week without pay. That is suspension. Note in file about altercation ... inform them that next time anything remotely happens with anyone ... that person is gone. you set precident for unemployment for dismissal with cause and you punish them for being dinks. Nothing hurts more than messing with their pay. OH, and make them write down an entire altercation report ... make them do it IN DETAIL.

Not only is that unprofessional, but anything involving physical violence is a once and done ... if it's a he said, she said ... cover your ***, get the altercation in writing, get the discipline history in writing, steps you took to resolve workplace drama and if they even get testy with each other ... you just have to say 'do I have to fire someone?'

mikefine

Royster13 is right on. My advice -- you need to talk to a personnel attorney immediately to advise you on the appropriate actions. What to say, and how to respond, etc. You fire them -- you're screwed. You don't fire them -- you're screwed.

Something serious and awful happened on your property today. You need to protect yourself.

This can go so many ways not good for you and your business -- such as workmen comp. issues, liability issues, etc. And if one of those guys got hurt today, and he called a lawyer -- forget it.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Royster13 is right on. My advice -- you need to talk to a personnel attorney immediately to advise you on the appropriate actions. What to say, and how to respond, etc. You fire them -- you're screwed. You don't fire them -- you're screwed.

Something serious and awful happened on your property today. You need to protect yourself.

This can go so many ways not good for you and your business -- such as workmen comp. issues, liability issues, etc. And if one of those guys got hurt today, and he called a lawyer -- forget it.

And this. +1

mark-s

Standing rule at my last company, 2 guys get into a fight, 2 guys get fired.
Doesn`t matter who started it.

mark-s

fmg

How immature and pathetic to fight who are these employees kids?
Kick em out for good! End of.

Hicalibersigns

seriously a fight that goes beyond yelling usually ends up with all involved fired on the spot.

Sorry, I won't even tolerate the yelling. If you can't conduct yourself as a professional, I have no use for you. Send me a postcard from your new job.

kffernandez

i can't put my head around some of you folks' ideas about firing both of them right there and then without any form of investigation. anything could have started the fight.

kelly