• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How do you manage an employee who knows more than you?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holysteel

I'm ignoring the drama in this thread and just answering the original question.

If you have an employee that knows more than you....LEARN FROM THEM. They are an asset.

People that know what they are doing are valuable to you as a business owner. They can be trusted to get the job done, and done right. As well they could potentially help you grow your business.

My old boss didn't know very much about the sign industry. His motto was that he didn't need to know because he expected the people he hired to know. Now, I actually half disagree with this viewpoint, because it leaves the owner very uneducated about his own business. Not a good position to be in.

I worked there because they knew of my background and asked me for a resume, I already had years of experience, but then I was never tapped for that experience. There grew less and less of a purpose for me to be there...IMO the business was stagnant. Don't get me wrong, they do tons of business, but they don't seem to push to do anything new or creative, something I could have very well helped with.

So I left the company with my now business partner who was also tired of both common sense and innovation falling on deaf ears.

To prove to ourselves that our ideas had merit. We started from just about nothing, except our own personal tools. After only 4 months we have several large regular clients and just signed a lease on our new 2600 square foot facility with more work coming in every week.

So yeah, learn from those that know more than you;)

Finally. A good advice & experience sharing ! - Respect -

Brad Knight

WOW - I'm only going to reply because I'm sure someone else will read to the end of this thread hoping to find some rational input - I know I was- though I was somewhat disapointed - I am still amused though by the chaps who think they can win one of these online pissing contests...

That said, this issue is universal, not just sign related...

If your goal in life is to build signs and operate equipment, then you should fire the guy because he is your chief competition. Then you should sell all of your equipment and build signs and operate someone else's equipment. It'll be more cost effective for you in the long run.

However, if your goal in life is to operate a sign business, then yes, you should know HOW to build signs and operate the equipment - but that's not your job. Your job as an owner/manager is to run people not equipment. Otherwise, you've created a job for yourself... not a business.

THEN the answer becomes self evident - you wouldn't buy a cheap low quality printer because it prints better and faster than you can draw? You wouldn't buy a cheap saw because you want to be able to cut a board better? No - you spend the money and get the best stuff you can and get your money's worth out of it.

Make it a 'win-win' (God I hate those cliché) you want the best sign business, he wants to be the best sign maker. It's not the same - and as long as you keep him on YOUR team, the better the both of you could be.

Brad Knight

... to add another quick note - as a business person, you're job is to build standards and expectations. You build a brand... and that's true in the sign business, real estate, manufacturing, consulting... any business.

When you look at it in those terms, the original question answers itself.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I'm just so truly happy that holy mackerel has found his way.......

Holier than thou....... you doth taken on a new venture and have gained the way of a true sign person. Please step forward and take your merits accordingly.

:violet: will show you the way.

• Please advance and take part in your place of places to be.

Holysteel

I'm just so truly happy that holy mackerel has found his way.......

Holier than thou....... you doth taken on a new venture and have gained the way of a true sign person. Please step forward and take your merits accordingly.

:violet: will show you the way.

• Please advance and take part in your place of places to be.

Holy Christ...When are you going to stop your sarcasm lecturing & called it a day Gino guy?

All this started. Because of YOU alone mate..

- Peace -

Last edited:

Holysteel

WOW - I'm only going to reply because I'm sure someone else will read to the end of this thread hoping to find some rational input - I know I was- though I was somewhat disapointed - I am still amused though by the chaps who think they can win one of these online pissing contests...

That said, this issue is universal, not just sign related...

If your goal in life is to build signs and operate equipment, then you should fire the guy because he is your chief competition. Then you should sell all of your equipment and build signs and operate someone else's equipment. It'll be more cost effective for you in the long run.

However, if your goal in life is to operate a sign business, then yes, you should know HOW to build signs and operate the equipment - but that's not your job. Your job as an owner/manager is to run people not equipment. Otherwise, you've created a job for yourself... not a business.

THEN the answer becomes self evident - you wouldn't buy a cheap low quality printer because it prints better and faster than you can draw? You wouldn't buy a cheap saw because you want to be able to cut a board better? No - you spend the money and get the best stuff you can and get your money's worth out of it.

Make it a 'win-win' (God I hate those cliché) you want the best sign business, he wants to be the best sign maker. It's not the same - and as long as you keep him on YOUR team, the better the both of you could be.

Thanks Brad. Good point. Notes taken.

Holysteel

Holysteel, I thought your first question would be finished with so many suggestions here. About the second question, I will say you just sign an employee agreement with him, and if there is some violation, you will give him some punishment or fire him somewhat. And you can keep him busy, so he will have no time to do a side job.

Thanks Jane. Good & simple straight to the point advice.

round man

wikipedia description here, not my words,...

It has been asserted that the verb to troll originates from Old French troller, a hunting term. A verb "trôler" is found in modern French-English dictionaries, where the main meaning given is "to lead, or drag, somebody about". In modern English usage, the verb to troll is said to be a fishing technique of slowly dragging a lure or baited hook from a moving boat.[7]. This assertion, appearing in the Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary, seems to be a confusion with the well-established English verb "to trawl", meaning "to fish with a trawl-net". A "trawl-net" is a net "shaped like a flattened bag, for dragging along the sea-bottom". In Britain a "trawler" is a fishing-boat employing this technique.
The noun troll comes from the Old Norse word for a mythological monster.[8]. The word evokes the trolls of Scandinavian folklore and children's tales, where they are often creatures bent on mischief and wickedness.
The contemporary use of the term is alleged to have appeared on the Internet in the late 1980s,[9] but the earliest known example is from 1992.[10] Early non-Internet related use of trolling for actions deliberately performed to provoke a reaction can be found in the military; by 1972 the term trolling for MiGs was documented in use by US Navy pilots in Vietnam.[11]

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Holy Christ...When are you going to stop your sarcasm lecturing & called it a day Gino guy?

All this started. Because of YOU alone mate..

- Peace -

Good morning holy moly !!

Tis a new day. So, is it alright by your standards to start again since I called it a day.... yesterday ?? :rock-n-roll:

You're wrong again there holy hedwig.... Let's go over this for you, since you seem to have a rough time following your own thread.

You made your original request about smartness vs. ownership and respect. I answered you quite rightly and you even thanked me.
Then you go on to change your question involving someone else and their business and a dishonest stealing designer and you treat it as the orignal question and I asked why are you changing the storyline. Is this the same original question.... or are you giving more details in a cryptic manner, because no one is answering your second set of questions ??

When one asks questions and doesn't get the answers they like and then puts out more information, but it's about a different problem or situation..... red flags tend to go up for many in business.

I've witnessed and dealt with all three of your scenarios, but for the life of me..... I can't figure out who is who in this thread anymore.

You now want to go do battle with me and I really don't think it's a good idea to air your dirty laundry out here and waste precious bandwidth with this stoopid battle of yours.

Instead of taking me on.... why don't you re-phrase your question.... and just maybe someone can answer you sensibly...... perhaps, even I may.

:peace!:

Holysteel

Jesus......Thats it. I gave up. You win gino guy. If thats the words you been dying to hear.. Your the ultimate bad *** indestructible hero Einstein of Signs101. The Supreme intellect Founder of Print & signs industry. Your happy now ? I guess you must be beaming & clapping on your seat right now. I would't be surprised if u were happen to give double hi-5 strikes to empty air to yourself intended for your 'imaginary friend' sitting next beside you.

As for you, Round man.. What are you trying to prove by copying & pasting a whole encyclopedia on trolls? You want to start and induce another whole new chapter of pissing contest of the millennia?

Lol....Cant believe some of these guys here..

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Now Happy Birds.jpg

lol..... Can't believe some of the newbies, either. They sure don't make 'em the way they used to.......... :rolleyes: They're so temperamental and fragile....... and give up after one thread. They used to last a week or two before throwing in the towel.

Hey holy ba..... take a rest and come back after lunch. Maybe we can have some more fun..... if you don't quit and hide. :U Rock:

Edit: I see you changed your post a little.

Jesus......Thats it. I gave up. You win gino guy. If thats the words you been dying to hear.. Your the ultimate bad *** indestructible hero Einstein of Signs101. The Supreme intellect Founder of Print & signs industry. Your happy now ? I guess you must be beaming & clapping on your seat right now. I would't be surprised if u were happen to give double hi-5 strikes to empty air to yourself intended for your 'imaginary friend' sitting next beside you.

As for you, Round man.. What are you trying to prove by copying & pasting a whole encyclopedia on trolls? You want to start and induce another whole new chapter of pissing contest of the millennia?

Lol....Cant believe some of these guys here..

Holysteel

Lesson of the day (For all newbies) :

- If you are new in signs101. You better not ask noob question. You are expected to be on par to Dr. Hellmuth level or an industry expert before joining us here.

- If you decided to go ahead. Watch for the foul mouthed mr know all & his hyena packs. His style of provoking & flaming is the same each time. Same goes to his hyena packs. There is many of them. They have been planned upon to take turn on pecking you down. You have been warned.

- Do not side track a topic. Not even a slightest innocent bit. You will get insulted & bombard to the core by mr know all for side tracking it. For his brains cant handle this kind of shifting. It too much for him to handle.

- You must have a doctorate degree & the above on the English Language to post here. For mr know all & his pack are all very serious about this & expect top notch from you. You will be flame. If you are a German, Italian, Russian or a Japanese whereby your native language is not the English language. Dun bother even joining. U need perfect english here for mr know-all to understand u. Even though you have not asked for his opinion. He will nevertheless find his way in to answer you. And provoke u. Like a puppy happily wagging his tail for a lolipop.

- Even you have called it quits. Nevertheless the gino gang & his hyenas wont know to stop. They will taunt u to further it. They think this is fun for them. Even challenged you to not run & hide..

I think of more to add on. If i could

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Flamey.... I do believe you're spot on with your observation. :thumb:

Holy Toledo is quite clever. He's figured out the entire purpose of s101.

I am officially quitting this thread, unless I'm pulled back in, but with these kinda accusations and stoopid assumptions, there's just no more use this thread can do. In fact, with all the nonsense running amok in this thread, I can't figure out why Fred has let it go on so long. It serves no sign purpose and is only fueled by all of our stoopid posts.

Like I said earlier.... and I'll use this worthless thread to say it again, cause I doubt anyone is much watching it anymore, but............. this kind of senseless posting by the OP, myself and some others does not get revenue moving. It's not my responsibility, but I am sorry for my part in this one. I've been warned several times to watch my P's & Q's, however the amount of PM's I get on a positive note seem to make it worthwhile.

When you have someone purposely calling out foul names, making little to no sense, swearing like crazy, calling people out, refusing to listen, making warnings and accusations and then trying to re-write the rules..... there has got to be something wrong in the equation. You look for the common denominator and see what's starring you in the face.

Later holy fucuna..... have a good one......... :toasting:

Status
Not open for further replies.