• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

How not to get the job

Status
Not open for further replies.

jiarby

I do not think the boss's comment was out of line... The guys fubar'd it the first day. Then was late again the second day, even after knowing he was not sure where it was.

Stating "you had 24 hours to find us" is both condescending and rude.

I do not think it is condescending or rude. He DID have 24hrs to find the place. He was extremely fortunate that they gave him a second chance. His lame excuse "Sorry, I couldn't find the place" worked the 1st day, but on the second day it has to sound like BS to the boss.

If the applicant can't take criticism from his boss then he should go work for himself.

Employers always seem to think they are the GODS and potential prospects need to bow to them for employment, albeit 10-12-15 bucks an hour. Big deal.

The whole hiring process and employee/employer interaction should be a two way street. But many that OWN the company, who usually Can't DO the work ...... have god complex's ... most know exactly what I am saying, they have lived it.

I think we see your true colors here... For some reason you seem jaded and frustrated about working for someone else.

The owner/employee relationship should be a two way street... but not exactly like I think you mean it. The worker is NOT an equal partner. The owner's lane on that street is much wider, and the employee's lane might be better described as a bike path.

It does not matter that the owner cannot do what you do... that is WHY they hired you to begin with. The employee can't do what the owner does either...

The owner invested the money to start the business. He is the one bearing all the risk.. He owns all the equipment and supplies. He gets to decide how, when, where, and why things get done.

The owner DOES need happy productive employees... and gets them by providing a fair wage and good work environment. Even so, the employee exists solely for the benefit of the employer.

If you do not like it then quit and start your own business. No one is stopping you. Then YOU can be the boss.

Oh yeah, see how you like it when you want to hire someone and they can't even figure out how to show up for an interview... TWICE!!

Sometimes a boss has to be the boss when an employee is not getting it done... If the employee thinks that is rude and condescending... it's OK with me.

The employee's job is to pull the oars that drive the ship. The Boss's job is to decide how to get the ship from one place to another on time and under budget without damaging the cargo or the ship. The owner's job is to provide the ship, pay the crew, and book the freight so everyone gets paid. If he manages all those things well then he prospers, if not hegoes bankrupt. He is responsible for everything and bears all the risk. If the ship is late and the cargo rots the oarsman still expects to get paid while the owner is bleeding in losses.

If you get a job interview to be an oarsman just be sure you do not show 5 minutes after the boat leaves the dock.

And if you do, expect to get some ribbing from the captain.

HulkSmash

If you don't say anything the first time an issue comes up. Trust me it will happen again. I had an employee who kept coming in 15-20 min late. I ignored it no problem.. not a big deal. Then it was constantly every day. Sometimes even later. You have to let them know as it happens or you will get walked over and taken advantage of.

S

SignTech

I do not think the boss's comment was out of line... The guys fubar'd it the first day. Then was late again the second day, even after knowing he was not sure where it was.

I do not think it is condescending or rude. He DID have 24hrs to find the place. He was extremely fortunate that they gave him a second chance. His lame excuse "Sorry, I couldn't find the place" worked the 1st day, but on the second day it has to sound like BS to the boss.

If the applicant can't take criticism from his boss then he should go work for himself.

I think we see your true colors here... For some reason you seem jaded and frustrated about working for someone else.

The owner/employee relationship should be a two way street... but not exactly like I think you mean it. The worker is NOT an equal partner. The owner's lane on that street is much wider, and the employee's lane might be better described as a bike path.

It does not matter that the owner cannot do what you do... that is WHY they hired you to begin with. The employee can't do what the owner does either...

The owner invested the money to start the business. He is the one bearing all the risk.. He owns all the equipment and supplies. He gets to decide how, when, where, and why things get done.

The owner DOES need happy productive employees... and gets them by providing a fair wage and good work environment. Even so, the employee exists solely for the benefit of the employer.

If you do not like it then quit and start your own business. No one is stopping you. Then YOU can be the boss.

Oh yeah, see how you like it when you want to hire someone and they can't even figure out how to show up for an interview... TWICE!!

Sometimes a boss has to be the boss when an employee is not getting it done... If the employee thinks that is rude and condescending... it's OK with me.

The employee's job is to pull the oars that drive the ship. The Boss's job is to decide how to get the ship from one place to another on time and under budget without damaging the cargo or the ship. The owner's job is to provide the ship, pay the crew, and book the freight so everyone gets paid. If he manages all those things well then he prospers, if not hegoes bankrupt. He is responsible for everything and bears all the risk. If the ship is late and the cargo rots the oarsman still expects to get paid while the owner is bleeding in losses.

If you get a job interview to be an oarsman just be sure you do not show 5 minutes after the boat leaves the dock.

And if you do, expect to get some ribbing from the captain.

I hear your pleas ... I was there my friend Lieutenant in the FD, supervisory in the street and hired a few part-timers at ISAG ... cockiness/arrogance never wins ... maybe this guy was having a bad 2 days ... maybe he was honest in that it was hard to find ... who knows the real deal ... a little patients would have maybe netted a good prospective, maybe not maybe he was nutty ........ never know now, except for second guessing ...

Aside from 'him' in this story, sure there are great "bosses" and owners and just as many more that are terrible and have no business being in business managing people. If you need any proof of my past and words your welcome to visit my FB and take a tour ......... it's all there. I had plenty ribbing from Captains (literally) and gave a boat load back .... (pun intended) you're not teaching me a thing. Peace.

jiarby

If you do not like your working conditions then vote with your feet.

you're not teaching me a thing.

You make it obvious that you know it all already... someone would be silly to try to tell you anything. You are always right and I feel blessed to be in your orbit. Everyone else in your life has been a moron for not hiring you and letting you run their ship how you see fit.

gnemmas

As a owner of a sign business, I do not claim that I don't have a boss, rather, I have thousands of bosses. Every customer is my BOSS.

So I made an appoint with this customer (boss), then I called and say sorry, can't find your place, customer says OK, try tomorrow......., I was 5 minutes late and said sorry, can't find your place.....

I WILL be out of that job!

And you, Signtech, try that a few times, you will be out of business!

S

SignTech

If you do not like your working conditions then vote with your feet.

You make it obvious that you know it all already... someone would be silly to try to tell you anything. You are always right and I feel blessed to be in your orbit. Everyone else in your life has been a moron for not hiring you and letting you run their ship how you see fit.

No ... definitely not always right ........ and I don't get your point "for not hiring me" aside from emergency services I have worked for myself since then, and the only SIGN company I applied for did hire me (sorta) they were just too screwed up to figure out a simple schedule.

A large majority of a set few continuously attack those that don't see their viewpoint ....... I just happen to be that thorn in those attackers sides.

........ the sad thing is that out of 300 plus views there are those ........ biting their nails ... with a smile on their face, because they are too afraid to chime in and say yeah ... they understand my position. But that's OK they are the minority ....... playing the devils advocate is what keep things in balance ......... sometimes anyway, the butt kissers and politians usually win in the end unfortunately in business.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I really like your comparisons, Jiarb.........

I'm sure now everyone will understand, as ddarlak put it.... there wasn't a second side to this story.

When it comes to business..... I don't give a rat's behind what any stranger thinks of what I say or do. Sure, there's always two sides to a story, but when I'm at the helm and responsible for employees, their pay, customers, their projects, the mortgages, insurances and what ever else is going on.... on any given day..... why should I care what the tone of my voice is to some joker that has a puffed up opinion of what his worth or knowledge is about anything??

Regardless of what his background is or his reasons for being down on his/her luck or whatever..... business is business and I have my 100% attention turned to those that are shoulder to shoulder with me.... not being a frickin' gnat in my face. Respect is something you earn and you don't earn it by mouthing off or being an a$$wipe to the person you're looking to.... to hire your sorry butt.

SignT, you're plain outright wrong and you know it. With your past episodes on this site.... it's obvious with your mindset, you would've done the exact same thing Bigdawg's boss did. You just want to take the underdog's slant on things. There's nothing wrong with being for the underdog, but in this whole thread, you seemed to take some of these remarks very personal..... is there some common denominator here that we don't know about ??

Lumping all bosses and corporate brownies into one group is rather shallow..... even on your part. The normal retort would be... there's quite a few more sniveling employees around then a-hole bosses. There's also an infinite amount of self-righteous one-man shows that aren't capable of doing anything for themselves, but continue to play make-believe and go about their daily lives as if the world has their head buried in the sand. I can't tell you how many business people in my town alone, has wannabe businesspeople parading around like they are God' s gift to the business world. One thing you said is true.... there are quite a few nuts in this industry, but there's just as many if not more in the food industry, grass cutting, roofing and any other business you can name.

I just don't understand your take on this one.......... :help

Bringing in facts about the old fire department, the boats, the old shop and whatever else, has NOTHING to do with this thread....NOT at all. However, you seem to think it necessary to turn this into another defense thread for your take on things. Why are you making this into an isag/SignT thread ?? Why the need for pirating ??

Last edited by a moderator:

jiarby

ISAG...

You see things so clearly...

We are fools to have questioned your insight.

You are obviously a positive influence in your workplace and your pleasant personality and cheerful demeanor uplifts everyone around you. Your bosses are stupid to not recognize the treasure they have in their midst.

Or, maybe they do.

iSign

iSign c'mon man ......... there is no short fuse, my sentence structure is calm and accurate.

And really? 4 years later you're casting a stone about short fuses, big mouths and narrow views?

You know better then that ... you've hated me since day one and I don't give a rats ass (said in a calm loving way) ..... what you hate the most ... is my forwardness and that I am a bullies, bully. Carry on.

This IS day one bro... Im casting today's stones purely for today's attitude... Hate is a strong word for a guy who's blip doesn't register on my radar beyond the time to read your posts...

By the way, you questioned the big mouth, short fuse and narrow view...

Don't forget the huge frikkin chip dude... if you remember nothing else, that is the punchline... and it's not about yesterday either... look at yourself today, look at your posts today... Don't flatter yourself to think the past has any influence... I'm sure your irrational angst over "bosses" is showing up quite well even to new members here...

"bullies bully" :roflmao: ... sure you don't mean weenies weenie? I've actually never thought of you as a bully... you seem to whine much to often for that...

S

SignTech

I just don't understand your take on this one.......... :helpBringing in facts about the old fire department, the boats, the old shop and whatever else, has NOTHING to do with this thread....NOT at all. However, you seem to think it necessary to turn this into another defense thread for your take on things. Why are you making this into an isag/SignT thread ?? Why the need for pirating ??

Great question .......... I bring in prior life experience and examples because it relates to knowledge of what goes on at the "boss" level and is relevant.

Some have responded as if I have zero experience in this area or the BS that goes on in the workplace. There is your answer.

And I am not making it an ISAG thread, just responded to those that have challenged my position. Some are worth responding to, some not.

We should definitely have some Scotch's in person ........... would be an awesome conversation.

HulkSmash

I really like your comparisons, Jiarb.........

I'm sure now everyone will understand, as ddarlak put it.... there wasn't a second side to this story.

When it comes to business..... I don't give a rat's behind what any stranger thinks of what I say or do. Sure, there's always two sides to a story, but when I'm at the helm and responsible for employees, their pay, customers, their projects, the mortgages, insurances and what ever else is going on.... on any given day..... why should I care what the tone of my voice is to some joker that has a puffed up opinion of what his worth or knowledge is about anything??

Regardless of what his background is or his reasons for being down on his/her luck or whatever..... business is business and I have my 100% attention turned to those that are shoulder to shoulder with me.... not being a frickin' gnat in my face. Respect is something you earn and you don't earn it by mouthing off or being an asswipe to the person you're looking to.... to hire your sorry butt.

SignT, you're plain outright wrong and you know it. With your past episodes on this site.... it's obvious with your mindset, you would've done the exact same thing Bigdawg's boss did. You just want to take the underdog's slant on things. There's nothing wrong with being for the underdog, but in this whole thread, you seemed to take some of these remarks very personal..... is there some common denominator here that we don't know about ??

Lumping all bosses and corporate brownies into one group is rather shallow..... even on your part. The normal retort would be... there's quite a few more sniveling employees around then asshole bosses. There's also an infinite amount of self-righteous one-man shows that aren't capable of doing anything for themselves, but continue to play make-believe and go about their daily lives as if the world has their head buried in the sand. I can't tell you how many business people in my town alone, has wannabe businesspeople parading around like they are God' s gift to the business world. One thing you said is true.... there are quite a few nuts in this industry, but there's just as many if not more in the food industry, grass cutting, roofing and any other business you can name.

I just don't understand your take on this one.......... :help

Bringing in facts about the old fire department, the boats, the old shop and whatever else, has NOTHING to do with this thread....NOT at all. However, you seem to think it necessary to turn this into another defense thread for your take on things. Why are you making this into an isag/SignT thread ?? Why the need for pirating ??
:goodpost:

S

SignTech

.. sure you don't mean weenies weenie? I've actually never thought of you as a bully... you seem to whine much to often for that...

Exactly I am not a bully ......... I just bully, bullies ... hence you. I seem to be blipping on your radar now ........... don't I? lol xxoo

iSign

Yeah, but it's still a crybaby blip, not a bully blip... Sorry.

At least you see yourself as a bullies bully instead of a whiner, so that's all that matters...

Enjoy your thread :smile:

S

SignTech

ISAG...

You see things so clearly...

We are fools to have questioned your insight.

You are obviously a positive influence in your workplace and your pleasant personality and cheerful demeanor uplifts everyone around you. Your bosses are stupid to not recognize the treasure they have in their midst.

Or, maybe they do.

Oye .... what bosses? what insight? I gave an opinion/position not insight. you're not making sense ... I don't have a boss lol

And how can you even know my demeanor in chat? Without voice inflection? ;)

I was definitely a positive influence in my profession, and have letters of commendation and recommendation throughout 21 years ... I will share them with you if you wish. See unlike some, I will back up every word ... I post. In 4 years on 101 I have seen some that have stated their views or positions and greatness that in fact where very inaccurate ...... unfortunately ........ no I beg to differ, it was I that was a fool to believe some.

S

SignTech

Yeah, but it's still a crybaby blip, not a bully blip... Sorry.

At least you see yourself as a bullies bully instead of a whiner, so that's all that matters...

Enjoy your thread :smile:

.... you know ........ if it's any worth ... no matter how many times we wrestle now and in the past ... you some how always give me a genuine LOL

... I oddly enjoy bantering with you on occasion ........ reminds me of the FD days or being in band ... maybe that's it ... since you're a drummer too ... I may not agree with your positions always but I do enjoy your intelligence .... interesting ........

jiarby

[QUOTE.... you know ........ if it's any cancellation ... no matter how many times we wrestle now and in the past ... you some how always give me a genuine LOL

... I oddly enjoy bantering with you on occasion ........ reminds me of the FD days or being in band ... maybe that's it ... since you're a drummer too ... I may not agree with your positions always but
I do enjoy your intelligence .... interesting ........ [/QUOTE]

I enjoy yours too.... you could be faster with the edit button!

S

SignTech

[QUOTE.... you know ........ if it's any cancellation ... no matter how many times we wrestle now and in the past ... you some how always give me a genuine LOL

... I oddly enjoy bantering with you on occasion ........ reminds me of the FD days or being in band ... maybe that's it ... since you're a drummer too ... I may not agree with your positions always but
I do enjoy your intelligence .... interesting ........

I enjoy yours too.... you could be faster with the edit button![/QUOTE]

awww c'mon I had to go back and re-type a word or two ... and use edit ... is that all you've got ? We all use edit occasionally ... lol your killing me ..........

jiarby

LOL!

Hooked on phonics worked for you! Don't get mad and quit... I would hate for you to think I am being rude and condescending!

I have to go to work now... my employee is 25 minutes late... I am gonna tear him a new one!

Status
Not open for further replies.